Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School �Correct� to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoetker
    replied
    In any case, Vox Day has the most correct response:

There is even less question of the connection between blacks and racial violence than American flag T-shirts and racial violence. So, now that we know "concerns of racial violence" supersede the 1st Amendment in public schools, it should be obvious that they must supersede every other Constitutional and legal stricture as well.

That's an incantation to which everyone should learn to resort. "I'm sorry, I fear racial violence on the basis of past problems." It's a free legal pass to restore freedom of association.

In fact, Live Oak High could probably cite this decision in refusing to permit Hispanic students to attend school on Cinco de Mayo. Or, as is more likely the case, white students.
    Guess the Cathedral Left was too distracted by their pro-gay crusade to realize that their pro-Mexican crusade just opened up the same racial loophole they were claiming-except this time you get to cite science and history instead of religion as a motive. Own goal much?

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Even in that case, I think it has more to do with politics than economics. But I'm smack dab in the middle of one aspect of it here in Texas, so I admit a definite bias.
    Texas businesses have been using the cheap labor for decades. Never bothered them then.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Is Republican stupidity not enough of an explanation for that?
    "Greed" is the better word, considering that all their donors are for it and all their voters are against it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    You're gonna make me write my Republican representatives AGAIN to tell them I'm voting Independent! ... bunch of cowardly egg sucking yellow spined wishywashy butt kissin.....

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    That's obviously a factor, but it doesn't explain why Republican aligned business interests are also begging hard for amnesty and have to be constantly whipped into backing away from it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That's obviously a factor, but it doesn't explain why Republican aligned business interests are also begging hard for amnesty and have to be constantly whipped into backing away from it.
    Even in that case, I think it has more to do with politics than economics. But I'm smack dab in the middle of one aspect of it here in Texas, so I admit a definite bias.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Meh... I think it's more that the Democrats want to stay in power, so they want to legitimize the illegals as soon as they can --- but that's another thread. There are other ways to handle the "cheap labor" aspect.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    It's not a matter of capability. The US's potential capabilities far surpass the challenge. Progressive oligarchs (but I repeat myself) want cheap labor and as an added bonus the ethnic strife will keep the plebs busy fighting each other.
    Meh... I think it's more that the Democrats want to stay in power, so they want to legitimize the illegals as soon as they can --- but that's another thread. There are other ways to handle the "cheap labor" aspect.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    As a police chaplain, I have several cop friends who do their rotation as "school cops" at our local high school. This I know --- High School today ain't NUTHIN like when I was in High School! (I was in High School back during the late 60's / early 70's)

At the heart of this particular situation, of course, is the whole immigration issue that our Country seems incapable of handling.
    It's not a matter of capability. The US's potential capabilities far surpass the challenge. Progressive oligarchs (but I repeat myself) want cheap labor and as an added bonus the ethnic strife will keep the plebs busy fighting each other.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    My guess is that they were wrapping themselves in flags to express racism.
    Except not only is "Mexican" not a race (in any sense of the word) but Mexico isn't even monoracial, with most people being mixed race mestizo as well as having sizable white and amerindian minorities. Maybe you mean they wanted to express hostility to an inferior invading culture whose members have little interest in assimilating, in which case I fail to see the problem. Mexico is a giant craphole (unless you're an oligarch or well connected drug dealer) and if nobody's gonna conquer it and fix it it should at the very least be contained at its borders.

A more detailed article on the OP:

http://www.volokh.com/2011/11/10/not...n-high-school/

"Our flag"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    As a police chaplain, I have several cop friends who do their rotation as "school cops" at our local high school. This I know --- High School today ain't NUTHIN like when I was in High School! (I was in High School back during the late 60's / early 70's)

At the heart of this particular situation, of course, is the whole immigration issue that our Country seems incapable of handling.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrs View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with respect, or even love, for one's country. I do not translate my love of country into hatred for other countries, which to my mind would be wrong for me to do.

I'm one of those proud Americans who would gladly buy a round for the Canadian hockey teams for their victories--both teams played excellent games.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Tell us something we didn't know.
    Thank you for your kind support. Asshat.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Tell us something we didn't know.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    I'm familiar with schools making really specific restrictions against specific situations, but usually that has to do with gangs. (I know of one inner city school around here that very specifically bans Scarface insignia). Considering the school probably has a flag on the outside, this one could be more difficult to justify in a legal sense (not to mention that it's obviously a form of political expression, which would seem to be a plus when looking at it from a constitutionality perspective... I've read a lot about court cases with clothing in the schools and I seriously doubt a court would approve of this restriction).

Leave a comment: