Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Good judgment? How much do you want to bet those kids' parents who sued to keep the kids' shirts wouldn't have sued if dear little Johnnie got a black eye? You can call the administrators cowards or accuse them of bad judgment, but you can't have both.
    Calm yourself, brother. I was thinking of the stupid administrators who suspend a straight-A student because his mom accidentally left a butter knife in his lunch box when she made his peanut butter and jelly sandwich, because the "zero tolerance" policy doesn't allow them the discretion to make an exception. Or the school system that suspends an elementary school kid and labels him a sexual predator because he hugged a girl.

I'm guessing both of you would have done the same.

As ever, Jesse
    This is America --- you have the freedom to be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    CMD's linked quotation illustrates what is most problematic about this, in my view. The most ingenious ways to shut down discourse are to rig the system to shut it down.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Good judgment? How much do you want to bet those kids' parents who sued to keep the kids' shirts wouldn't have sued if dear little Johnnie got a black eye? You can call the administrators cowards or accuse them of bad judgment, but you can't have both.

Where did I say anything about judgment or cowardice?

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    It means the school administrators are inept.
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Exactly. And all this "zero tolerance" stuff in our schools is a result of our administrators being too cowardly to make good judgement calls.

As ever, Jesse

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Exactly. And all this "zero tolerance" stuff in our schools is a result of our administrators being too cowardly to make good judgement calls.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    The court ruled that the safety of the school outweighed the freedom of the students to exercise their First Amendment rights of free speech...
    What say ye?

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Then it might behoove you to avoid responding to them.
    I don't respond to DE's posts. I was responding to your post.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Outis View Post
    I don't read DE's posts. If I want to read posts that glorify white separatism, white superiority, or white supremacy, I know the address to Stormfront.
    Then it might behoove you to avoid responding to them.

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    replied
    ALLAHPUNDIT from Hotair explains nicely why this is so ridiculous:

In other words, a bully can get the principal’s office to silence you by promising to beat your ___ if they don’t.

This is, as Eugene Volokh notes, a classic “heckler’s veto” in that it rewards a violent actor by suppressing the speech that’s irritated him instead of punishing him for being violent. What sort of incentives does that create? If the answer’s not obvious, here’s a snippet from the equal-protection section of the opinion that made my eyes pop. The students who had to take off their stars-and-stripes shirts wanted to know why students wearing shirts with Mexican-flag colors weren’t also asked to take off their shirts. Simple, says the court: No one was threatening to beat them up.
    As the district court noted, the students offered no
    evidence “demonstrating that students wearing the colors of
    the Mexican flag were targeted for violence.” The students
    offered no evidence that students at a similar risk of danger
    were treated differently, and therefore no evidence of
    impermissible viewpoint discrimination.

Because the record demonstrates that the students’ shirts
    “might reasonably have led school authorities to forecast
    substantial disruption of or material interference with school
    activities,” Tinker, 393 U.S. at 514, the authorities’ actions
    were permissible under Tinker. We reject the students’ equal
    protection claim.

If you want to make your classmate shut up, you need to credibly threaten violence. That’s how “free speech” works in the nation’s schools. Take a lesson, America.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    You apparently failed to read the post.
    I don't read DE's posts. If I want to read posts that glorify white separatism, white superiority, or white supremacy, I know the address to Stormfront.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Funny at the time there were pictures of "Mexican" students carrying (not wearing) Mexican flags. And yes the school did recognize the event.
    Yes, Bill already pointed that out, at which time I discovered that there was too much blood in my caffeine stream.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Absolutely not.
    Cool.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Do you think that's my approach? I can't honestly tell. I rarely go for either extreme. Nothing exists in isolation.
    Absolutely not.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Yeah, it's just that "other end" of this is "Blame America first".
    Do you think that's my approach? I can't honestly tell. I rarely go for either extreme. Nothing exists in isolation.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Outis View Post
    A bit more to the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...flagshirts.asp (Warning: language alert)

It seems the Mexican students are NOT allowed to wear Mexican flags, nor was there any special recognition of Cinco de Mayo by the school.
    Funny at the time there were pictures of "Mexican" students carrying (not wearing) Mexican flags. And yes the school did recognize the event.

Leave a comment: