Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nation�s Radicalized Christians Praying For Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    I don't care if you think I'm odd or not, but you have to do more than just say the characterization doesn't work. It's not as if there's a single form.

Keyword: "generally". You wouldn't be making exclamations during a wedding ceremony. You might be shouting for joy shortly after "you may kiss the bride" or whatever, but even then profanity isn't necessarily frowned upon. Court doesn't restrict exclamations as long as a sense of solemnity is held to, which still doesn't exclude profanity.

That you mostly hear religious terms doesn't mean much. They're part of the group but not the only members. I did say that certain words aren't considered appropriate in church. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat that.

It's worth pointing out, though, that 'appropriate' is inherently subjective. Someone's not a shallow boor simply because they don't share your norms.
    Do you cuss in front of children? Your child? would you let your child cuss in front of adults? Use the F-bomb?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Do you cuss in front of children? Your child? would you let your child cuss in front of adults? Use the F-bomb?
      Let me answer your question with a quote from a previous post ITT:

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I, personally, don't use profanity. I have nothing against it, though.
      If you think my child, or any child, hasn't heard profanity, you're crazy. You can't even watch Top Chef without getting a fair dose these days. We've taught my daughter that curse words are for adults to use. Why? Because some people are offended by them, and others don't consider them appropriate in all situations. A 5 year old isn't capable of assessing any of that. It's far easier to tell my child not to use certain words until she's older. She's used to that, though, because there's a list of things she can't do until she gets older. It's almost a game to her to figure out when she'll be allowed to do certain things.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment