Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nation�s Radicalized Christians Praying For Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate...plenty of people would classify "jackass," "dumbass," "bitch" (as in the verb) as crude or obscene. Maybe even "crap."
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Well, I do only have a Bachelor's degree, and I'm pretty sure my IQ is about 10 or 15 points lower than its peak around 35 years ago. Oh well. When I'm here, I'll behave, more or less, and on Facebook compensate by essentially using the F-word like a comma. If that drives some people away, so much the better. Their the type of stodgy stuck-up blue-noses I'd rather not associate with anyway.
      I can't believe such a grammar nazi as I typed "their" when I meant "they're," and only noticed it now! Wow.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If you're cussing instead of using your "deep" vocabulary, then you come across as a shallow boor regardless.
        He was sent.

Comment

If you're cussing instead of using your "deep" vocabulary, then you come across as a shallow boor regardless.
          The majority of people IRL don't actually think this way.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            How do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              How do you know?
              Because the majority of people IRL use profanity on a regular basis. They mostly don't even notice it. These days, there are a handful of people who curse and then apologize for doing so. It generally elicits laughter or jokes to the effect that there's no point to apologizing because no one was offended. Even those who apologize don't think it's wrong, just inappropriate for the setting.

I, personally, don't use profanity. I have nothing against it, though. I don't care if anyone else uses it. There aren't words that offend me. The only time I think less of someone for using profanity is when they're purposefully shoving it into their sentences to the point they're basically stuttering and losing their train of thought. That's moronic. I haven't really encountered people who do that since high school, though.

Views against profanity are pretty weird if you look at it, tbh. It's ok to say certain sets of words that describe body parts and actions but not to say another set that describe the exact same things. There's no reason some words aren't ok and others are outside of cultural norms. Even biblical proscriptions against cursing reference actual curses not profanity.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Because the majority of people IRL use profanity on a regular basis. They mostly don't even notice it. These days, there are a handful of people who curse and then apologize for doing so. It generally elicits laughter or jokes to the effect that there's no point to apologizing because no one was offended. Even those who apologize don't think it's wrong, just inappropriate for the setting.

I, personally, don't use profanity. I have nothing against it, though. I don't care if anyone else uses it. There aren't words that offend me. The only time I think less of someone for using profanity is when they're purposefully shoving it into their sentences to the point they're basically stuttering and losing their train of thought. That's moronic. I haven't really encountered people who do that since high school, though.

Views against profanity are pretty weird if you look at it, tbh. It's ok to say certain sets of words that describe body parts and actions but not to say another set that describe the exact same things. There's no reason some words aren't ok and others are outside of cultural norms. Even biblical proscriptions against cursing reference actual curses not profanity.
                This is actually pretty much my own opinion (though I won't be surprised if people condemn me for it).

I think strong language should best be viewed like exclamation points: if you use an exclamation point all the time, it loses any emphasis it would otherwise have and just gets deservingly ignored. If it's used sparingly, though, it has much more impact when it's actually used.

I think the overuse of profanity isn't so much an issue of morality as it is an issue of appropriateness. Most people need to stop using exclamation points after every other sentence. Some people could realize that exclamation points are called for, on occasion.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

And that is what I was attempting to say previously when I asked if you cursed in church, at a business meeting or in front of your Grandma. Apparently you do realize that there are inappropriate settings. Why? If there is absolutely nothing wrong with cussing and using profanity, then 1. Why is is called "profanity" in the first place, and 2. Why are there settings where is it inappropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    And that is what I was attempting to say previously when I asked if you cursed in church, at a business meeting or in front of your Grandma. Apparently you do realize that there are inappropriate settings. Why? If there is absolutely nothing wrong with cussing and using profanity, then 1. Why is is called "profanity" in the first place, and 2. Why are there settings where is it inappropriate?
                    Some people think there are settings where it is inappropriate. I didn't say I did. Running with Zym's concept, what I think we really have are settings where exclamations generally aren't appropriate. Weddings, funerals, and courtrooms, for example, aren't appropriate for exclamations of any form. Church is a little weird in that certain forms of exclamation are considered appropriate while all others aren't. There's nothing specific to profanity here, though.

Cursing and profanity as terms carry over from religious concepts where you're literally profaning sacred items/places and/or invoking curses onto someone. Most words we use as profanity don't do either. Most of the terms refer to generally 'icky' bits of life, like effluvia and genitalia. They've been conflated over time into "things people don't like".
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The majority of shallow boorish people, no doubt.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some people think there are settings where it is inappropriate. I didn't say I did. Running with Zym's concept, what I think we really have are settings where exclamations generally aren't appropriate. Weddings, funerals, and courtrooms, for example, aren't appropriate for exclamations of any form. Church is a little weird in that certain forms of exclamation are considered appropriate while all others aren't. There's nothing specific to profanity here, though.
                        You are, um, ...odd. Your reduction of profanity to "exclamation" doesn't work very well. Exclamations of joy would be fine at a wedding. Exclamations to punctuate a point would be fine in a courtroom.
                        Cursing and profanity as terms carry over from religious concepts where you're literally profaning sacred items/places and/or invoking curses onto someone. Most words we use as profanity don't do either. Most of the terms refer to generally 'icky' bits of life, like effluvia and genitalia. They've been conflated over time into "things people don't like".
                        A lot of the profanity I hear is religious terms. Used in the context of profanity, they would be highly inappropriate in church. And the 'icky' bits would never be appropriate in formal settings.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are, um, ...odd. Your reduction of profanity to "exclamation" doesn't work very well. Exclamations of joy would be fine at a wedding. Exclamations to punctuate a point would be fine in a courtroom.

A lot of the profanity I hear is religious terms. Used in the context of profanity, they would be highly inappropriate in church. And the 'icky' bits would never be appropriate in formal settings.
                          I cuss. Not much, but I do on occasion. That said, it seems to me that a lot of the punch of most cuss words come from the fact that they're purposely taboo, which is why I think most people use them. Also, I think it could be argued that, while it is the case that most forms of cussing probably do find their origin in various forms of blasphemy, I don't think we can let the icky bits off too lightly. A lot of the power in things like the "F" word, or scataological references is how they're used in extremely raunchy, perverted or violent ways. I don't think you have to be any sort of prude to see that either. It's standard locker room type talk. Check out social media platforms like 4Chan or Reddit for that type of language. Even in usernames. There's some pretty disturbing stuff. And I don't think any of this is that new either. Archaeologists have found Roman graffiti with the same sort of purposely crude language.

All in all, I'm not too disturbed by foul language, but I respect this forum's policy on the subject. I don't really get why people make such a big deal about it either way.

Comment

You are, um, ...odd. Your reduction of profanity to "exclamation" doesn't work very well.
                            I don't care if you think I'm odd or not, but you have to do more than just say the characterization doesn't work. It's not as if there's a single form.

:Exclamations of joy would be fine at a wedding. Exclamations to punctuate a point would be fine in a courtroom.
                            Keyword: "generally". You wouldn't be making exclamations during a wedding ceremony. You might be shouting for joy shortly after "you may kiss the bride" or whatever, but even then profanity isn't necessarily frowned upon. Court doesn't restrict exclamations as long as a sense of solemnity is held to, which still doesn't exclude profanity.

: A lot of the profanity I hear is religious terms. Used in the context of profanity, they would be highly inappropriate in church. And the 'icky' bits would never be appropriate in formal settings.
                            That you mostly hear religious terms doesn't mean much. They're part of the group but not the only members. I did say that certain words aren't considered appropriate in church. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat that.

It's worth pointing out, though, that 'appropriate' is inherently subjective. Someone's not a shallow boor simply because they don't share your norms.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              All in all, I'm not too disturbed by foul language, but I respect this forum's policy on the subject. I don't really get why people make such a big deal about it either way.
                              I could say this last sentence about a lot of things.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                I don't really get why people make such a big deal about it either way.
                                Cause it leads to dancing.

Comment