Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

THIS is what we are warning you all about!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    I like to help spread cheer within the senior community.
    I laughed at this.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I like to help spread cheer within the senior community.
      I think you misspelled senile.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The dumbest song ever has to be 'Cheese Burger in Paradise'.

A dumb drunk song, written by a dumb drunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think you misspelled senile.
          Actually, I misspelled prostrate exam.

Comment

When they talk about 'Natures God' they were referencing some sort of deism/pantheism.
            Nature's God came directly from Blackstone Commentaries and refers to the God of the bible.

http://www.uark.edu/depts/comminfo/c...lackstone.html
            Last edited by seer; 06-02-2016, 05:06 PM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The dumbest song ever has to be 'Cheese Burger in Paradise'.

HERETIC!!!
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Bravo, Seer, but Blackstone makes you a hypocrite. Your philosophical skepticism leaves no room for Natural Law. Or have I misunderstood everything you written on TWeb (what little I bothered to read after ennui intervened).
                Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  Bravo, Seer, but Blackstone makes you a hypocrite. Your philosophical skepticism leaves no room for Natural Law. Or have I misunderstood everything you written on TWeb (what little I bothered to read after ennui intervened).
                  What are you taking about? Do you even know?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The dumbest song ever has to be 'Cheese Burger in Paradise'.

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      That treaty was cowardice and historical revisionism at its finest.
                      Nonsense! That treaty was a clear admission by the United States in 1797 that the US government did not found itself upon Christianity. Unlike the Declaration of Independence, this treaty represented U.S. Law as do ALL U.S. Treaties. And this fact is reinforced by the fact that, nowhere in The Constitution is God, Christianity or Jesus referenced.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      When was the last time you read the Declaration of Independence?

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."
                      The Declaration of Independence is NOT US Law. The Constitution is what embodies US Law and nowhere in it is Christianity or God mentioned. Furthermore Jefferson, with his Unitarian/Deist views and strong Enlightenment influences, was most certainly not referring to a deity as understood by Evangelicals.
                      Last edited by Tassman; 06-02-2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Right Tass, after the Charlotte ordinance was passed. And that is the point - again, anatomical males or females need to use the bathroom/locker that matches their sex. There is no Constitutional right to use the bathroom that you "feel" like using. I certainly do not have that right.
                        If problems arise they can be dealt with in such a way as to NOT deprive LGBT citizens of their full civil rights, which is what this blatantly discriminatory exercise is transparently all about.

There does not need to be a problem to hold the common sense view that you don't let anatomical males share the showers with girls at the local Y for instance. And I'm not stopping any one from sleeping with whom they choose. This is about public facilities.
                        See above.

You are sill missing the point. Your scientific friends from American Anthropological Association don't believe that our "enlightened" western values should be universal, that would be cultural imperialism.
                        Typical dishonest seer quote-mine! Find ONEhttp://www.un.org/en/universal-decla...-human-rights/

But your Declaration of Human Rights is not universal, how many countries have signed it? How many countries are there? And even many of the countries that did sign it, don't follow it. It is a non-starter Tass, it's going no where.
                        The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of which the USA is a signatory, was drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world and was proclaimed by the United Nations, of which the USA is a member, in 1948. By objecting to it you are NOT

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/r10.html

Is THIS what you want, yes or no?

Again Tass, where did Jefferson and the Founders ground human rights?
                        http://www.articlemyriad.com/influen...united-states/

And where does the Constitution use the term "Separation of church and state?" And what did that mean -
                        you do realize that many early states, like mine, had tax supported Churches.
                        Certainly, in colonial times, but in the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution put a stop to this practise.
                        Last edited by Tassman; 06-03-2016, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Actually state-established Christian churches remained until the 1830's, particularly in New England. The Bill of Rights had no applicability to the U. S. states until the 14th Amendment was passed (about 1866).
                          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
                            Actually state-established Christian churches remained until the 1830's, particularly in New England. The Bill of Rights had no applicability to the U. S. states until the 14th Amendment was passed (about 1866).

That is correct Adam, very good...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              The Declaration of Independence is NOT US Law.
                              Calm yourself, Tazzy, you're getting yourself into a Tizzy. Nobody claimed it was.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                If problems arise they can be dealt with in such a way as to NOT deprive LGBT citizens of their full civil rights, which is what this blatantly discriminatory exercise is transparently all about.
                                There is no problem if a trans uses the shower or locker that corresponds to their sex. And since when it is "civil right" to use the "public shower" of your choice? Is that in the Constitution?

Typical dishonest seer quote-mine! Find ONE
                                Yes I know when these objections were made, that was in my link. It does not change the fact that you are practicing, or would practice, cultural imperialism.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of which the USA is a signatory, was drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world and was proclaimed by the United Nations, of which the USA is a member, in 1948. By objecting to it you are NOT
                                What are you on about? I only asked how many countries there were in the world and how many countries signed - the point being it is not anything like or near "universal" and probably never will be

First your own link references Newton and Locke who were both Christians, and used biblical ideals in their formulations. Second, the most influential Founding Fathers were not deists, even Jefferson was not a deist (we have been through this before). And in case it escaped you, you could be both Christian and belong to Freemasonry. But the point WAS and IS that they grounded our rights IN GOD.

Really? 1947? What did the actual Founders think Tass? From the Library of Congress:

The Continental-Confederation Congress, a legislative body that governed the United States from 1774 to 1789, contained an extraordinary number of deeply religious men. The amount of energy that Congress invested in encouraging the practice of religion in the new nation exceeded that expended by any subsequent American national government. Although the Articles of Confederation did not officially authorize Congress to concern itself with religion, the citizenry did not object to such activities. This lack of objection suggests that both the legislators and the public considered it appropriate for the national government to promote a nondenominational, nonpolemical Christianity.

Congress appointed chaplains for itself and the armed forces, sponsored the publication of a Bible, imposed Christian morality on the armed forces, and granted public lands to promote Christianity among the Indians. National days of thanksgiving and of "humiliation, fasting, and prayer" were proclaimed by Congress at least twice a year throughout the war. Congress was guided by "covenant theology," a Reformation doctrine especially dear to New England Puritans, which held that God bound himself in an agreement with a nation and its people. This agreement stipulated that they "should be prosperous or afflicted, according as their general Obedience or Disobedience thereto appears." Wars and revolutions were, accordingly, considered afflictions, as divine punishments for sin, from which a nation could rescue itself by repentance and reformation.

The first national government of the United States, was convinced that the "public prosperity" of a society depended on the vitality of its religion. Nothing less than a "spirit of universal reformation among all ranks and degrees of our citizens," Congress declared to the American people, would "make us a holy, that so we may be a happy people." http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel04.html

Certainly, in colonial times, but in the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution put a stop to this practise.
                                No Tass, this lasted well beyond colonial times, and it died a natural death, not because off the bill of rights. Funny how all these deists went back to their home states in instituted a tax to support Christian Churches!
                                Last edited by seer; 06-03-2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment