Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina Bathroom Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yttrium before this gets out of control clearly tattooing and piercing to alter the appearance to be more pleasing to the eye go back to pre biblical times and it was acceptable in the Hebrew culture to use specific markings to denote cultural status and I would not exclude tattooing. HOWEVER there were sincere exceptions that were laid out in the books of the law. Cutting oneself for the dead during mourning or "marking" was forbidden. Which is found n Leviticus 19:28. Now obviously some tattoos and piercings are not considered mutilation, they are decorative, denote a social status, and there are a few scriptures in Exodus about piercings and brandings of slaves. SO meh. (I have several ear piecings and some others that have closed, my husband has a tattoo, my friends are tattooed pierced, we don't care) However when it comes to dressing as the opposite sex, there are scriptures that explicitely forbid cross dressing. Deuteronomy 22:5 (regarding actual cross dressing as forbidden) and to a mildly lesser extent Romans 1:24-27 (those handed over to their worldly desires lusts and temptations) and Corinthians 11:3-15 (men and women's hair styles etc.) Although the references to hair styles are cultural in nature there is a deeper logic here when it comes to men and women fulfilling their roles in life. This is NOT to shun men who are a bit more affeminate and may be interested in the arts and women who have brains geared toward more "manly" interests and hate girly stuff. but it points to the idea that God made men and women not to mutilate their bodies, but to be individuals to glorify him.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Its women do.
      Yeah. Ours has a protected lifetime warranty. The men's is awfully vulnerable...
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        HOWEVER there were sincere exceptions that were laid out in the books of the law.
        Is any of that considered to be relevant to modern day society by mainstream Christians? I note that Deuteronomy 22 in particular is a bit... out of touch with the times.

In any case, I was just looking to see if Bill was consistent in his outlook, and he seems to be. More or less.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          Is any of that considered to be relevant to modern day society by mainstream Christians? I note that Deuteronomy 22 in particular is a bit... out of touch with the times.

In any case, I was just looking to see if Bill was consistent in his outlook, and he seems to be. More or less.
          Look at the greater context and reapply it to today's culture. Obviously both men and women now wear pants, but look back then, you don't think both men and women wore robes and sandals? Would you discard the entire verse if it was robes vs pants? Look at 1200's Scotland, where both men and women wore kilts. Do you think the guidelines don't apply? Actually they do. The idea here is Do not dress like the opposite sex in the culture you live in. For the ancient Hebrews that would mean not wearing one another's robes appearing to have or not to have breasts, make up etc.. Today that would imply not wearing certain articles of clothes making up the face to look or not look like the opposite sex, etc, and yes it goes beyond the purchase of unisex style clothing. Especially if you use common sense about it.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            Can I see your sources? One for a high suicide rate for gay and trans people not connected to nonacceptance and one for a large percentage of post-HRT/SRS trans people having regret. People with gender dysphoria are already harmed because of their condition. The purpose of HRT/SRS are to reduce harm, just like any other treatment. I also think it's funny you think society bends over backwards to accommodate trans and gay people. I can only assume that idea comes from your living in Canada.

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/page...-about-suicide
            http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...port-Final.pdf
            http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...h.mentalhealth
            http://www.sexchangeregret.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              You'll get no disagreement from me. I don't like piercings, tattoos, nothing.
              It's more about where and what, for me.

Really, though, I think we need to recognize levels of self-mutilation. Nobody really criticizes vasectomies, even though they should count.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                It's more about where and what, for me.

Really, though, I think we need to recognize levels of self-mutilation. Nobody really criticizes vasectomies, even though they should count.
                agreed. When the mutilation changes how you function in public society, I think it becomes a problem. Like I mentioned, people who want to remove their own limbs, or such. A vasectomy usually doesn't affect how you function in society unless you decide to go on a sex spree with every woman you can bed, then I think it would count as a problem.

Comment

• Deutsch Bank is the latest bully/hypocrite to make a stupid threat:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0X91H1

But look at the list of places they DO engage in business:

https://www.db.com/mea/en/content/Contact.htm
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Deutsch Bank is the latest bully/hypocrite to make a stupid threat:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0X91H1

But look at the list of places they DO engage in business:

https://www.db.com/mea/en/content/Contact.htm
                    So I guess they have no problem with any gay or TG employees being tosssed in jail or executed, just if they can't choose which bathroom to use.

Comment

• This article claims that the hub bub is much to do about nothing...

Some excerpts

Source: townhall.com

Fox8 delved into the weeds of the new law, dubbed the bathroom bill, listing 18 myths and facts

© Copyright Original Source

Source
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        This article claims that the hub bub is much to do about nothing...
                        I think a good name for a bar would be the Hubbub Pub.

...exit, stage right!

Comment

After, meaning at the end of a period of time

the behavior, meaning the actions in question

has been accomplished, meaning the action actually happens during the time period referenced

for extended periods of time, meaning more than a few months or so.
                          Cute. What behavior are you talking about? Attraction? Non-conforming choices? Relations?

White matter isn't what causes behaviors. Synapse patterns are. See the study I referenced above.
                          So you were wrong when you said neuroplasticity can alter any aspect of the brain because, as an example, it cannot alter the amount of white matter positively. White matter affects how the brain works, and multiple studies found correlations between abnormal dimorphic white matter and dysphoria. That's why I bring it up.

Their delusion has been reinforced. I assume you would think that a limb amputation by someone suffering from body integrity dysmorphic disorder would be a bad thing, and that intentionally altering their bodily integrity is a bad thing. Why do you single out people who want to mutilate certain parts of their body and not others?
                          Why does it matter that a delusion is reinforced if it doesn't result in harm? The harm in amputation when it comes to people with BIDD is that it only acts as temporary treatment, and that they will eventually want further amputations. It actually seems very similar to people addicted to plastic surgery, now that I think about it. This is in contrast to gender dysphoria, where there is a singular, definitive goal at the outset.

Comment

• Your first two sources present uncontested facts, so unless you think they support the arguments "there is a high suicide rate for gay and trans people not connected to nonacceptance and a large percentage of post-HRT/SRS trans people have regret" and can quote relevant portions I will ignore them.

The Guardian article is about an Arif study that simply found that studies concerning SRS don't meet that organization's standards. The title appears to be clickbait.

Your third source looks to be somebody's personal website.

It appears you do not have any sources. This seems to confirm my suspicion that your position is rooted solely in personal bias.

Comment

• And now, certain members of the Government are trying to bully private businesses...

That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                                Cute. What behavior are you talking about? Attraction? Non-conforming choices? Relations?
                                Non-conforming behavior... you know, the same behaviors that are being used to artificially differentiate biological sex and gender.

So you were wrong when you said neuroplasticity can alter any aspect of the brain because, as an example, it cannot alter the amount of white matter positively. White matter affects how the brain works, and multiple studies found correlations between abnormal dimorphic white matter and dysphoria. That's why I bring it up.
                                No I am not.

Behaviors, here in this study it is meditation, alter white matter. So it was YOU that is wrong. Neuroplasticity shows the brain is shaped by experiences, which casts major doubt on the brain studies that claim the brain composition causes transgender or homosexual behaviors.

Why does it matter that a delusion is reinforced if it doesn't result in harm?
                                So, just as long as the mental illness doesn't result in harm, it's ok to be mentally ill?

The harm in amputation when it comes to people with BIDD is that it only acts as temporary treatment, and that they will eventually want further amputations. It actually seems very similar to people addicted to plastic surgery, now that I think about it. This is in contrast to gender dysphoria, where there is a singular, definitive goal at the outset.
                                It isn't contrast to plastic surgery or BIDD. There's only 2 things that can be added or removed for people who want to change their plumbing.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment