Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Protesters smear fake blood on faces at blogger Milo Yiannopoulos' Rutgers talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Whatever happened to the old saying, "I disagree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to my death your right to say it"?

Away with you right wing radical kook.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Whatever happened to the old saying, "I disagree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to my death your right to say it"?
      now it is "I disagree with what you are saying and I will do anything to stop you"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Now you are moving goal posts.

You said, "The right to free speech does not include the right to have universities host your lecture."

Now it's "ought"

Whether they "ought" to do something is a completely different matter, and it is their decision to make. Not yours. That is what "rights" are all about.
        The difference is whether the subject is an John Q Public or a university. Talking about rights was a digression that shouldn't have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Political Science at work.
          Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Sounds like college would be quite boring; if you were running it.
            Certainly college would be more exciting if speakers included alleged alien abductees, sovereign citizens, and 9/11 truthers.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              The difference is whether the subject is an John Q Public or a university. Talking about rights was a digression that shouldn't have happened.
              "a John Q Public", not an.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Care to elaborate?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Certainly college would be more exciting if speakers included alleged alien abductees, sovereign citizens, and 9/11 truthers.
                  You think they aren't there already?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

now it is "I disagree with what you are saying and I will do anything to stop you"
                    Volt-SJW.jpg
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

does anyone?
                      He gets several million views per week.
                      Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

The whiny disrespectful crybabies happened.

Comment

I don't see any value in that, academic or otherwise. If your description of his speech is true, then he doesn't understand what's going on. The error lies in his generalization. There are two issues at work. One is the mainstreaming of progressive left ideas, long the domain of academia and fringe subcultures, resulting in people adopting causes without fully understanding them. The second is the radicalization of a variety of movements, liberal and conservative, due to political and economic strife.

Comment

I don't see any value in that, academic or otherwise. If your description of his speech is true, then he doesn't understand what's going on. The error lies in his generalization. There are two issues at work. One is the mainstreaming of progressive left ideas, long the domain of academia and fringe subcultures, resulting in people adopting causes without fully understanding them. The second is the radicalization of a variety of movements, liberal and conservative, due to political and economic strife.
                            based on the ignorant reaction to his speech, he knew exactly what he was saying, and he was correct.

Comment

In other words, "I disagree with him so he has not right to be here.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                The whiny disrespectful crybabies happened.
                                I hereby amen this post again.

Comment