Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Protesters smear fake blood on faces at blogger Milo Yiannopoulos' Rutgers talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    That guy is a buffoon and I should hope that students are upset when a place of learning gives a platform to buffoons.
    Oh goody, Psychic Missile here is criticizing a gay man. Perhaps I can use some liberal logic here to call him a homophobe.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      Example of liberal backlash against political correction (sic)?
      To be fair a large part of Reddit is atheist, especially the boards like tumblr in action.

Comment

The American people do not have a right to have a university host a lecture for anyone with an opinion. Any given speaker welcomes to lecture should provide some academic value.
        There was a case where Richard Dawkins was banned from a university as well before he suffered his stroke. On the day he had his stroke he was told he could give the talk again and the University changed their mind but the stress of the situation didn't do him any good.
        Last edited by Darth Ovious; 02-20-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
          That would eliminate all lecturers/profs in Liberal Arts, which is all opinion and no hard science at all.
          Totally agreed. Half the time students are being brainwashed with propaganda within a university wall.

Comment

What academic value did his speech offer?
            His speech was about university decorum you nutjob.

Comment

I don't see any value in that, academic or otherwise. If your description of his speech is true, then he doesn't understand what's going on. The error lies in his generalization. There are two issues at work. One is the mainstreaming of progressive left ideas, long the domain of academia and fringe subcultures, resulting in people adopting causes without fully understanding them. The second is the radicalization of a variety of movements, liberal and conservative, due to political and economic strife.
              So........ he shouldn't be allowed to speak at a university about behavior on a university campus? What better place would there be to hold a talk as this?

Comment

Do you want to convert people into conservatives or do you want to stop PC extremism?
                No, we just want people to dress themselves in the morning without thinking they are oppressed because they have to do it.

Comment

Not colleges, lectures. There's a difference between questioning your own beliefs and giving a platform to people who are obviously wrong. There's no reason for you or I to listen to someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth.
                  If they are 'obviously wrong', tell us why they are wrong. I actually debated JM on his geocentric nonsense before and would do it again too because I actually do have reasons to believe that the earth orbits the sun. Do you blindly believe whatever you're told or do you seek our reasons for the things you believe? Yet is is Christians that are often said to be the 'blind believers'. Now tell us, what did he say that is 'obviously wrong'. I'll wait for you to explain that (because as Meta Knight pointed out above, it seems his general point about PC and being being unable to stand on their own merits is proving to be rather accurate).
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    You're wrong ergo you should not be allowed to post.

If you can't make an argument that defeats an 'obviously wrong' point, maybe the problem is with your knowledge - and you need greater exposure to ideas in order to actually be able to rationally decide what is and isn't 'wrong'.

FYI - until the invention of the telescope, the sun pretty obviously rotated around the earth. Obvious, but wrong...
                    And even at that, it took Newton to actually come up with Newton Mechanics to actually explain why a geocentric position wasn't feasible.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Not colleges, lectures. There's a difference between questioning your own beliefs and giving a platform to people who are obviously wrong.
                      then no liberals would be able to give lectures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        This objection does not apply to the OP. The OP topic is clearly accurate. To deny the reality of the stupidity of the new "political correctness" and the new "crybaby generation," is simply foolish.
                        I have no problem with criticism against PC extremists. I have a problem when a university promotes a notorious buffoon who says that people with PTSD should be expelled if they ask for accommodation and gay and trans people should be expelled for having safe space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Um, what? Seriously, did you stick a negative in there accidentally or are you really saying the First Amendment need not apply?
                          The First Amendment does not allow you to demand and receive an auditorium and a time slot from a university. Who a university hosts for a lecture is within their discretion.

Um, the speaker WAS invited - the protesters weren't. If we follow your logic, you are actually agreeing with the rest of us that the protest was inappropriate and the speaker should be allowed to speak without disruption.

Disrupting a speech to prevent the person from being heard is oppressive and discriminatory. Why do you, who advocate for tolerance, side with the intolerant?
                          I do not agree with the interruption in all respects, although I am sympathetic towards it. The problem is the university allowing Milo to speak in the first place.

You're wrong ergo you should not be allowed to post.

If you can't make an argument that defeats an 'obviously wrong' point, maybe the problem is with your knowledge - and you need greater exposure to ideas in order to actually be able to rationally decide what is and isn't 'wrong'.

FYI - until the invention of the telescope, the sun pretty obviously rotated around the earth. Obvious, but wrong...
                          Do you think a veteran asking a professor to let him know if material might trigger his PTSD should be expelled?
                          Last edited by Psychic Missile; 02-21-2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            If they are 'obviously wrong', tell us why they are wrong. I actually debated JM on his geocentric nonsense before and would do it again too because I actually do have reasons to believe that the earth orbits the sun. Do you blindly believe whatever you're told or do you seek our reasons for the things you believe? Yet is is Christians that are often said to be the 'blind believers'. Now tell us, what did he say that is 'obviously wrong'. I'll wait for you to explain that (because as Meta Knight pointed out above, it seems his general point about PC and being being unable to stand on their own merits is proving to be rather accurate).
                            Do you think a veteran asking a professor to let him know if material might trigger his PTSD should be expelled?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              Do you believe that the mentally ill should be sterilized like the early 20th century progressives believed? Hey, look at that, I can play your game with you and raise you a begged question too. Beyond the fact that such actions would likely be illegal (due to the American's with disabilities act, among other things). The odds of something in your class 'triggering' PTSD is pretty slim to none and if you find yourself having PTSD episode, while in school or attending to day to day activities, you might want to seek psychological help because there's clearly a problem. Do you even know anybody with PTSD PM? I do and I don't recall any of them being trigger by day to day activities and if they were; they should seek psychological help for their problem.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Do you believe that the mentally ill should be sterilized like the early 20th century progressives believed? Hey, look at that, I can play your game with you and raise you a begged question too. Beyond the fact that such actions would likely be illegal (due to the American's with disabilities act, among other things). The odds of something in your class 'triggering' PTSD is pretty slim to none and if you find yourself having PTSD episode, while in school or attending to day to day activities, you might want to seek psychological help because there's clearly a problem. Do you even know anybody with PTSD PM? I do and I don't recall any of them being trigger by day to day activities and if they were; they should seek psychological help for their problem.
                                I asked you that question because Milo said he thinks they should. Warning someone that material might cause trauma flashbacks takes very, very little effort and does not obstruct anything. Milo and those that agree with him are against PC extremists but misdirect their anger at perfectly reasonable concepts. That more evokes the image of an angry mob than an academic debate.

Comment