Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Protesters smear fake blood on faces at blogger Milo Yiannopoulos' Rutgers talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    In some cases yes. How is promoting a war of ideologies constructive?
    When the opposing conservative view is so demonized at Universities, often for no reason other than because it is conservative, sometimes it is necessary to be aggressive in order to get the message out. This behavior by whiny entitlement-happy teenagers and early twenty-somethings is completely expected by those of us on the right of the political spectrum.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      When the opposing conservative view is so demonized at Universities, often for no reason other than because it is conservative, sometimes it is necessary to be aggressive in order to get the message out. This behavior by whiny entitlement-happy teenagers and early twenty-somethings is completely expected by those of us on the right of the political spectrum.
      Do you want to convert people into conservatives or do you want to stop PC extremism?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        You seem to me to be proof positive that he is correct in his evaluation.
        Why in the world does someone need to be correct to be allowed to speak at a (might I remind folks, publicly-funded) university?

Comment

BTW, Milo and Christina Hoff Summers spoke last night at the University of Minnesota. They were interrupted by several people blowing air horns over and over until they were removed by campus security. I can't link it at the moment because the only links I've found have language.

Comment

Do you want to convert people into conservatives or do you want to stop PC extremism?
            Yes.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And apparently some students needed to have a support group after his speech.

Comment

????? this whole thing reads like an onion parody! the national lampoon couldn't have come up with a better script! A speaker talks about how colleges are creating PC crybabies, and the students start a support group commiserating about how the big bad man hurt their feewings?? Really?

wow.

Comment

is-this-real-life.jpg

Comment

Yeah, the crybaby generation.
                    Last edited by Bill the Cat; 02-19-2016, 07:17 AM.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I agree with your argument, but how does hosting Milo specifically foster espirit de corps?
                      You're the one trying to say that colleges should only be purely academic, not me. I just made a point to show that never would work, in reality. Anyway, I always thought that the goal of education was to teach and if you can't even stand questioning of your own beliefs, how do you expect others to believe them?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        You're the one trying to say that colleges should only be purely academic, not me. I just made a point to show that never would work, in reality. Anyway, I always thought that the goal of education was to teach and if you can't even stand questioning of your own beliefs, how do you expect others to believe them?
                        Not colleges, lectures. There's a difference between questioning your own beliefs and giving a platform to people who are obviously wrong. There's no reason for you or I to listen to someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth.

Comment

There's a difference between questioning your own beliefs and giving a platform to people who are obviously wrong. There's no reason for you or I to listen to someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth.
                          This objection does not apply to the OP. The OP topic is clearly accurate. To deny the reality of the stupidity of the new "political correctness" and the new "crybaby generation," is simply foolish.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The American people do not have a right to have a university host a lecture for anyone with an opinion. Any given speaker welcomes to lecture should provide some academic value.
                            Um, what? Seriously, did you stick a negative in there accidentally or are you really saying the First Amendment need not apply?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The difference is whether the subject is an John Q Public or a university. Talking about rights was a digression that shouldn't have happened.
                              Um, the speaker WAS invited - the protesters weren't. If we follow your logic, you are actually agreeing with the rest of us that the protest was inappropriate and the speaker should be allowed to speak without disruption.

Disrupting a speech to prevent the person from being heard is oppressive and discriminatory. Why do you, who advocate for tolerance, side with the intolerant?
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not colleges, lectures. There's a difference between questioning your own beliefs and giving a platform to people who are obviously wrong. There's no reason for you or I to listen to someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth.
                                You're wrong ergo you should not be allowed to post.

If you can't make an argument that defeats an 'obviously wrong' point, maybe the problem is with your knowledge - and you need greater exposure to ideas in order to actually be able to rationally decide what is and isn't 'wrong'.

FYI - until the invention of the telescope, the sun pretty obviously rotated around the earth. Obvious, but wrong...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment