Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is a 'Christ'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Are you a fair-minded person?
    Yes. Is Eisenman? Clearly not. It takes a perverse reading of the material to conclude that the gospels are anti-Semitic.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Yes. Is Eisenman? Clearly not. It takes a perverse reading of the material to conclude that the gospels are anti-Semitic.

Comment

Makes sense to me. Jesus the Jew, the Early church, the gospel writers, all just about without exception JEWS... Were anti-Semites.
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          Makes sense to me. Jesus the Jew, the Early church, the gospel writers, all just about without exception JEWS... Were anti-Semites.
          They must have been self-hating Jews.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

Comment

What dogma? The majority of the first converts to Christianity were Jews? And, when Jesus was talking about the brood of vipers, he was SPECIFICALLY referring to the Pharisees. Please read the subject matter you are quoting before making statements such as these.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                What dogma? The majority of the first converts to Christianity were Jews? And, when Jesus was talking about the brood of vipers, he was SPECIFICALLY referring to the Pharisees. Please read the subject matter you are quoting before making statements such as these.
                The Pharisees were the accommodationist (like Pauline Christianity, that is why they survived) sect that evolved into Rabbinic Judaism. The nationalist Jesus movement was extinguished completely. The transformation of Christianity from a Jewish sect has resulted in the story of Jesus being recast in an anti-Jewish form and even has him dining with Roman tax collectors!

Comment

...and even has him dining with Roman tax collectors!
                  Can you elaborate on this part, please?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I disagree. To understand The Bible we need to have a reasonable awareness of the political situation, the power structures and the way opposition is suppressed under Roman rule.
                    Yes, that helps. Unfortunately, you demonstrate a complete lack of awareness, as evidenced by:
                    Ignoring, for the moment, that Jesus was a Jew condemning other Jews here, I am not aware of any scholar who asserts that "Pharisee" was synonymous with "Jew" in the first century.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

even has him dining with Roman tax collectors!
                      Zacchaeus was a Jew. As was Levi.
                      Scorned and hated by other Jews true, but still a fellow Jew and not a Roman.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        Zacchaeus was a Jew. As was Levi.
                        Scorned and hated by other Jews true, but still a fellow Jew and not a Roman.
                        Yes. I ought to have said a collector of Roman taxes; a collaborator.

Comment

So, Jesus had dinner with Jews who collected taxes for the Romans, one of whom was called to be one of the Twelve. I'm not seeing the scandal. Jesus OFTEN associated/interacted with sinners, and was harsh to the religious leaders.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            So, Jesus had dinner with Jews who collected taxes for the Romans, one of whom was called to be one of the Twelve. I'm not seeing the scandal. Jesus OFTEN associated/interacted with sinners, and was harsh to the religious leaders.
                            Oh, the Jewish religious leaders considered it scandalous to dine with tax collectors. It's just that the fact that the tax collectors were Jews themselves completely vitiates ff's attempted point.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Oh, the Jewish religious leaders considered it scandalous to dine with tax collectors.
                              Of course they did, but Jesus wasn't there to please them.

It's just that the fact that the tax collectors were Jews themselves completely vitiates ff's attempted point.
                              From the Christian perspective, there is no scandal - Jesus came to seek and to save sinners, and met them where they were.

Comment

So is your argument that having dinner with a social outcast means hating the people group both you, the outcast, and everyone else around you belongs to?

You may want to withdraw that as an example of anti-semitism, cause that's some very shaky ground you're basing it on.
                                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

Comment