Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Witnessing to Atheists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the heck has this conversation evolved to?

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
      Is that how all epistemelogical investigations should be conducted? with a time machine?
      I was being sarcastic. Time machines would break the laws of physics.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by princesa View Post
        what the heck has this conversation evolved to?
        Pearls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Just not convinced that abiogenesis is empirically proven.
          Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          And you're being silly. Saved from WHAT! If everyone dies and stays dead, what difference will it make in 5 billion years? If I'm right, I'll be doing something enjoyable, maybe exploring the universe, for eternity. If your right, it simply won't matter and we both won't know that your right.
          this is your brain on Christianity.

Comment

I meant chimps and gorillas, should have said other apes. Don't think you would want to try to have kids with a chimp. Those guys will kill you! I know you mean in a lab, but still. And what are your credentials? Unless you have a PhD in evolutionary biology or something, I don't think you'rre any more qualified to talk about this topic either. Or at least a BS in biology or something.
            Granma is now moaning while rolling over in her grave.

BSE, bioengineering, 1984, University of Illinois, and then some more letters after that.

Just stop already.

Comment

• Originally posted by princesa View Post
              what the heck has this conversation evolved to?
              Something horrible. I 'm trying to get back on track, but someone keeps bringing up more comments on what I said. Or Whag is being a mean . Do all tweb threads mutate like this? It can't be intelligent design, because that would infer there was a plan to this thread derail!

Comment

Just not convinced that abiogenesis is empirically proven.
                Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                I was being sarcastic. Time machines would break the laws of physics.
                yeah I get that. what's perplexing is your insistence that nothing can be known apart from directly observing it. what lao tzu, and your more loving christian brethren, have been trying to tell you is that's not how reliable knowledge is obtained.

have you ever read even the most basic definition of epistemology?

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Granma is now moaning while rolling over in her grave.

BSE, bioengineering, 1984, University of Illinois, and then some more letters after that.

Just stop already.
                  Cool. What do you do? Bioengineering what?

Comment

• Why does the smiley look like it's planning something evil?

Comment

Cool. What do you do? Bioengineering what?
                      I keep busy. We can't let the Japanese sci-fi movie industry collapse, now can we? Godzilla won't create itself, you know.

Comment

Why does the smiley look like it's planning something evil?
                        Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the smileys aren't out to get you.

Comment

• I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or be mean, but I do bristle when I see the effects of fundamentalist pedagogy. I apologize if I hurt your feelings. can you at least try to read some christian material on the subject? you have no idea the adventure your missing out on.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                            yeah I get that. what's perplexing is your insistence that nothing can be known apart from directly observing it. what lao tzu, and your more loving christian brethren, have been trying to tell you is that's not how reliable knowledge is obtained.

have you ever read even the most basic definition of epistemology?
                            I'm not claiming that. Just that If someone didn't observe and record it, we have to make an educated guess about what happened. I just would rather not be dogmatic about things that happened a long time ago. It may be a misconception, but I thought science was about repeatable experiments or something.

Comment

• Just that we don't know everything.

Comment

• Can we please get back on topic? Witnessing to Atheists. It can be a pain in the rear for both parties. True or false? How do we avoid giving each other pains in the neck and other regions?

Comment