Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is... are the bullies being consistent with their belief system?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Hey FF, have you actually read what Pascal's Wager says and do you seriously think most of us Christians were 'coercived' into being Christians? Adding onto this, do you think the following things are bad:

- high blood pressure
      - heart disease
      - heart attack
      - lung cancer
      - throat cancer
      - diabetes

These are all conditions doctors warn us about that can happen if a person doesn't change their habits (such as smoking or their diets), so are you going to argue that a doctor shouldn't warn us about potential dangers associated with certain habits or will you accusing them of being bullies for doing so? After all, that is how your logic seems to be working.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Where do I say that Christians are bullies? I said the religion bullies her, not the religious.
        And how does it do that FF? I'd love to hear you explain this and I'd also love to hear you explain how doctors are bullies too for telling people the dangers of smoking. I mean, isn't telling somebody they could get cancer from smoking using bullying tactics to get them to change their ways?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think I come across as snarky sometimes when I'm just being humorous. That, and some of my "opponents" seem to have pretty thin skin. I need to try harder to sound as kind and loving "in print" as I really am in real life. After all, how could I be good friends with an atheist lesbian Jew who constantly attacked my beliefs if I were hateful or snarky to her?
          Actually CP, I think you are quite humorous when you try to be. Then again, I do have a sense of humor and can take a joke.
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            No Shuny, but men can be self-deceived, and mistaken. And since I take scripture as authoritative I see no reason why it isn't correct on this subject. After all you believe that all men are created in the image of God like I do - that is true whether others believe it or not. And you and I only know that based on Divine Revelation and we take it as fact - a fact that can not be demonstrated empirically.
            The problem is the accusation of lying, self-deceived, cultural conditioning, convenience and comfort of belief what your parents and grand parents believed, or maybe even an intense search for the true belief. The problem is the same regardless of what you believe.

Comment

In light of certain scriptures can there be an honest atheist, or do they all suppress the truth in wickedness?
              The answer is we all suppress the truth in wickedness to at least some degree. Sometimes we're really good at justifying it too. It's in our natures.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                North Korea is probably not the best choice for a poster child of freedom of religion. Though the "majority" religion is Buddhism, NK is an atheist state. So, yeah, if you wanna see bullies in action, check out them thar atheists.
                North Korea actually heavily promotes and enforces a belief in the supernatural. It is by no means atheist.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ki...e-media-65590/

Comment

Guess because communist=atheism for many people. Though I've heard North Korea is a weird type of communism that's more of a cult surrounding the original leader or something.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    North Korea actually heavily promotes and enforces a belief in the supernatural. It is by no means atheist.

There's nothing about atheism that requires the disbelief in the supernatural in general.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Guess because communist=atheism for many people. Though I've heard North Korea is a weird type of communism that's more of a cult surrounding the original leader or something.
                      Cults of Personality are pretty common in communist states. Mao, Stalin, etc. It's a sort of religious adherence and idolization to the actions of a certain person. Doesn't necessarily make them any less atheist, though.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Read that carefully, Whag --- it's trying to imply that the "dear leader" was God.

[cite (if it actually worked) = Christian Post]
                        NORTH KOREA RELIGION

Today, Juche is no longer just an ideology, but a full-fledged religion that worships Kim Il Sung as god, and his son, Kim Jong Il as the son of god. Whether or not Kim Jong Un is now worshipped as the grandson of god remains to be seen.

In 2005, David Hawke, the respected human rights investigator, interviewed 40 North Korean escapees about religion in North Korea. Here are some of their responses about North Korea's religion:

"Juche is the only religion North Korean people can have."

"We learned that there were two lives: one is the physical life and the other is the political life. We were taught that political life was forever along with the leaders and the Party. Therefore, I believed that my political life was more important than my physical life."

"According to party covenant, Article 1, section 1, all North Koreans are required to worship Kim Il Sung with all our heart and might, even after his death. We have to venerate the pictures and status of Kim Il Sung."

"We must hang [Kim Il Sung's] pictures. The pictures indicate that Kim Il Sung is god, as we hang the pictures for the purpose of reminding ourselves that we depend on him."

"Hanging portraits of Kim's family is compulsory for every household. The portraits must be hung on the best wall of every home, and nothing else can be hung under the portraits. Families with high loyalty to the Party bow down under the portraits even when nobody is watching."

"Religious freedom is not allowed in North Korea because it will ruin the deification of Kim Il Sung."

"Having faith in God is an act of espionage. Only Kim Il Sung is a god in North Korea."[/I wish the cite tags worked]

=======================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...tate_Atheism-2

Traditionally religion in North Korea primarily consisted of Buddhism and Confucianism and Korean shamanism. Since the arrival of Europeans in the 18th century, there is a Christian minority. New religions have arisen during the last century, the most prominent one being Cheondoism, based on traditional shamanism. North Korea is officially an atheist state[2][3] North Korea sees organized religious activity as a potential challenge to the leadership.[4]
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          There's nothing about atheism that requires the disbelief in the supernatural in general.
                          Correct, and they use that "supernatural" element in NK to make the dear leader God, and all other religions are a threat to the state.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Like horror movies with demons, but no God to pray to, because involving the good supernatural agents in a horror movie would make it not a horror movie. God is definitely not the sort to hand out a dues ex machina every week.

Comment

ninja...

Comment

In light of certain scriptures can there be an honest atheist, or do they all suppress the truth in wickedness?
                                Well, there are some who are legitimately, innocently, ignorant of the facts, however, those types of atheists are certainly in the minority. The mass majority of atheists, I would say, yes, they do suppress the truth through their own wickedness and self-deception.
                                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment