Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My personal experience of evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Abigail View Post
    Nice try at distorting my words with your spin. The message is forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ the rest is just the bounty that goes along with that.
    Then just to be clear, atheists don’t reject the message, they reject the magic.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And do you now to bribe them with cookies?
    Any self-respecting child will go with whichever side offers the best cookies.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Sure. Its mostly coming from my reading of Philip Jenkins on the subject (specifically The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity). I thought this was more or less common knowledge.
    Philip Jenkins is not high on my list of respected scholars. I've read his book on Eastern Christianity (the title escapes me at the moment).

Leave a comment:

• Abigail
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Not true. The message that everyone benefits if they love one another is not in the least problematic for atheists. It is not exclusively a Christian message.
    Nice try at distorting my words with your spin. The message is forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ the rest is just the bounty that goes along with that.

Leave a comment:

• thewriteranon
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Lutherans are the original Protestants.

But only confessional Lutherans practice closed communion. The ELCA for example practice open communion.
    I was confirmed in a WELS church and even attended a Missouri Synod church for a year during my catechism and I still can't receive communion in a Missouri Synod church!

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Islam is growing mostly through a high birth rate and immigration, and the NoI's identity with black empowerment doesn't hurt either. South America is something like 90% Christian, and AFAIK that is mostly Roman Catholic. In that situation, the odds are extremely good that the small minority is going to have a better growth rate and a smaller percentage of nominal believers, and so conversion is almost inevitably going to be in the direction of the minority. I would like to see where you're getting your data.
    Sure. Its mostly coming from my reading of Philip Jenkins on the subject (specifically The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity). I thought this was more or less common knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• MaxVel
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    firstfloor is my favorite tweb atheist
    Because he's the only TWeb atheist who is as provocative as you are?

Leave a comment:

• MaxVel
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I understand him very well even, though I may not totally agree with him. It depends on what knowledge is being passed on and how. He believes the passing on the knowledge of science in the manner it does. He does not approve of how knowledge is sometimes passed on in Christianity, particularly evangelism which depends heavily depends heavily on an emotional connection to the knowledge.
    Uh. Yeah. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    When my nephews were tiny, they'd ask why I didn't take communion when visiting my brother's church. I told them, "I'm not a Lutheran."

It didn't exactly fool them, but it wasn't really intended to do so. They knew I simply sat quietly without bowing my head when grace was said, because they peeked, the rapscallions! Still, it did make another point I could stress when they were older, that differences in our religious beliefs could be respected.
    And do you now to bribe them with cookies?

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    No, they were the original Evangelicals.
    Semantics.

But those aren't Real LutheransTM.
    True.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    No, they were the original Evangelicals.
    But only confessional Lutherans practice closed communion. The ELCA for example practice open communion.
    But those aren't Real LutheransTM.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Lutherans are unusual among Protestants in that they practice closed communion.
    Lutherans are the original Protestants. But only confessional Lutherans practice closed communion.
    When my nephews were tiny, they'd ask why I didn't take communion when visiting my brother's church. I told them, "I'm not a Lutheran."

It didn't exactly fool them, but it wasn't really intended to do so. They knew I simply sat quietly without bowing my head when grace was said, because they peeked, the rapscallions! Still, it did make another point I could stress when they were older, that differences in our religious beliefs could be respected.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    This method of conversion in the Catholic and Orthodox church may count towards why those denominations are shrinking, and why Islam (in the Northern hemisphere) and Protestantism (in the Southern hemisphere) are filling in the gap.
    Islam is growing mostly through a high birth rate and immigration, and the NoI's identity with black empowerment doesn't hurt either. South America is something like 90% Christian, and AFAIK that is mostly Roman Catholic. In that situation, the odds are extremely good that the small minority is going to have a better growth rate and a smaller percentage of nominal believers, and so conversion is almost inevitably going to be in the direction of the minority. I would like to see where you're getting your data. Eastern Orthodoxy is growing in Africa, and is growing in Guatemala (the only SA country for which I have much knowledge of Orthodoxy) so fast they're having a difficult time accommodating it; the Hatian mission desperately needs more priests. Part of the problem with Orthodoxy's expansion in this hemisphere is that it was established to mostly serve immigrant communities in their native language, and those communities tend to want to maintain that language in worship as part of their culture - which makes proselytizing rather difficult and makes it more likely that children will grow up and leave because they don't understand what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    As far as I'm aware most* confessional Lutheran denominations (which are the only genuine Lutherans IMO ) require you to get catechised before you're allowed to receive communion in their churches.

Leave a comment: