Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Lilies of the Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Some people are their own worst enemy.
    Sounds like JimL, let's call here JillM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You know about as much about God's Plan as I know about ballet.
      Traditionally, God’s Plan is thought to be ridiculous, badly thought out and very badly executed. He’s the worst engineer ever. He needs our help – did you ever think of it that way? He’s in over His M A S S I V E head. Come on.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Traditionally, God’s Plan is thought to be ridiculous, badly thought out and very badly executed. He’s the worst engineer ever. He needs our help – did you ever think of it that way? He’s in over His M A S S I V E head. Come on.
        Here, FF, try this....

good woman.jpg

Maybe that explains things.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Here, FF, try this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5929[/ATTACH]

Maybe that explains things.
          Right,
          This is going to take a minute ……
          (tiny intellect at work)

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pytharchimedes View Post
              What is the meaning of this? Will the Father clothe me in his raiment even if I do not work?
              This quote from The Right Stuff (1983 movie based on great book of same title by Tom Wolfe) expresses the very opposite of the ‘Lillys of the field’ (let go and let Jesus) sentiment.

“How much longer are you going to keep him in the dark?
              What do we tell him?
              He's a pilot. Tell him the condition of his craft.”

So, what are you; a Lilly or a pilot?
              Last edited by firstfloor; 04-25-2015, 04:49 AM.

Comment

And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
                What is the meaning of this? Will the Father clothe me in his raiment even if I do not work?
                "Consider the Lily"? All is explained! Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrn4dXE2yI

It's funny, but makes a good point.
                Last edited by GakuseiDon; 04-25-2015, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  So, what are you; a Lilly or a pilot?
                  Definitely a pilot...

...of the fastest starship in the galaxy.

Comment

You have the definition of "work" twisted. Jesus wasn't talking about everyday people living everyday secular lives. He actually said to seek the kingdom of God and God's righteousness. We can infer from this that he's speaking about evangelism and the ministry and those who devote themselves to it wholeheartedly. Evangelism is much more rigorous and dangerous than working some 9-5.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      You have the definition of "work" twisted. Jesus wasn't talking about everyday people living everyday secular lives. He actually said to seek the kingdom of God and God's righteousness. We can infer from this that he's speaking about evangelism and the ministry and those who devote themselves to it wholeheartedly. Evangelism is much more rigorous and dangerous than working some 9-5.
                      Proselytism of any type expressed "wholeheartedly" could invite opposition and scorn.

You used the word "is." If you're saying your particular evangelism is more dangerous than a 9-5, then please explain what's so dangerous about it.

Comment