Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Lilies of the Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lilies of the Field

And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
    What is the meaning of this? Will the Father clothe me in his raiment even if I do not work?

Originally posted by Pytharchimedes View Post
    What is the meaning of this? Will the Father clothe me in his raiment even if I do not work?
    The whole context is an admonition not to worry. Proverbs still stands.
    Source: Prv 20:4

The lazy man will not plow because of winter; He will beg during harvest and have nothing.

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Work like it all depends on you, pray like it all depends on God.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is possible you could be living out in a field clothed only by the lilies of the field if you don't seek to work.

Comment

And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
          I wonder what Jesus would have said if someone in the crowd had said lilies aren't arrayed but naked. Moreover, re: clothing providence, I'd be more concerned about covering and warmth than being dressed gaudily like a king.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            I wonder what Jesus would have said if someone in the crowd had said lilies aren't arrayed but naked. Moreover, re: clothing providence, I'd be more concerned about covering and warmth than being dressed gaudily like a king.
            I'm shocked, shocked, that you would completely miss the point of the illustration whag.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Work like it all depends on you, pray like it all depends on God.
              But it does depend on you. Plenty of people pray to be dressed and few are given a king's wardrobe. (Perhaps maybe rap stars?)

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                The whole context is an admonition not to worry. Proverbs still stands.
                Source: Prv 20:4

The lazy man will not plow because of winter; He will beg during harvest and have nothing.

© Copyright Original Source

Sometimes in illustrating overmuch, the point is diluted. Better to simply ask "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" rather than imply a teleological absurdity about lilies being clothed and God loving you more than botany.

Comment

Sometimes in illustrating overmuch, the point is diluted. Better to simply ask "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" rather than imply a teleological absurdity about lilies being clothed and God loving you more than botany.
                  And sometimes, in analyzing overmuch, the point of the illustration is missed entirely.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    And sometimes, in analyzing overmuch, the point of the illustration is missed entirely.
                    Not at all. "Don't worry like a little pansy all the time. Have some wine, if necessary. Relax." See how the point isn't even close to being missed? It's right there in the rhetorical question "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" But then he overdoes it with the teleological bit. The question is sufficient to make the point.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Like I said, the point is clear enough in the rhetorical question. No need to hammer it home with absurdity and the obvious untruth that God will always provide clothing to human beings since he does it with flowers. I've heard pastors extrapolate wildly from this illustration.

Comment

Like I said, the point is clear enough in the rhetorical question. No need to hammer it home with absurdity and the obvious untruth that God will always provide clothing to human beings since he does it with flowers. I've heard pastors extrapolate wildly from this illustration.
                          Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Comment

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
                            The difference in value has no practical application to your behavior. You'll worry about your children's and your lack of shelter all the same. God's providence for sparrows doesn't make a difference when you're struggling to provide for your family.

Yes, worry doesn't help but it's unavoidable. Faith doesn't guarantee providence, and worry tends to naturally follow when providence doesn't come.

Comment

Yes, worry doesn't help but it's unavoidable.
                              Why? Because you say so? There are plenty of us who know that worry doesn't help, and we put our trust in God.

Faith doesn't guarantee providence, and worry tends to naturally follow when providence doesn't come.
                              Yes, worry is the natural outcome, but can often be offset or eliminated by faith. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't give you the right to pronounce it ineffective for those of us who hold to faith in Christ.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment