Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Glenn Miller on genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    you're still talking past-tense/future-tense.

There is no such thing to the 'I AM' as was<is>will be.

destiny (dictionary.com) 'something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune....'

If you're someone like the 'I AM' there is no "is to happen"

Its all at once all the 'time' (not that there is any 'time')

HE is not 'was' or 'going to be' He just IS.

"destiny" is for us.
    You said that God will not prevent a conception because he already knows that person. This would mean that a certain person being conceived is the "correct" or "destined" way for things to be. The correct timeline is not being decided by God, otherwise it would not be set.
    Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I most certainly did not. I said God preventing the act of reproduction would prevent free will, and later on I said it would seem to be against God's nature to constantly interfere in the consequences of our free will actions by preventing a conception if He knew that conception would result in a person who would ultimately reject Him.
      Okay, I misunderstood. Please explain how it is against God's nature to interfere in the consequences of our actions.

No one, I would presume, but that's not the point. The point is that it seems to go against the notion that what our ultimate fate is going to be should be determined by the words and deeds that we actually did, rather than words and deeds that we might have done, if only we had gotten the chance to.
      Why is that notion worthy of adherence?

But you cannot prevent the evil that might arise from free will from being actualized other than by reducing free will itself.
      You can preempt an entity's existence so that it never has a will in the first place.

I'm not even going into degrees of free will or challenging the idea of free will, but I might if this goes in a certain direction.
      Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-02-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Are you even keeping up with this conversation or are you just looking for excuses to avoid admitting you were wrong?
        If you have free will, what difference does it make whether or not you live alongside non-Christians?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          The paper A Theory of Unconscious Thought by Ap Dijksterhuis and Loran F. Nordgren goes into the ability of making unconscious choices and decisions quite a bit.
          That's the paper I looked at.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Here's the Abstract:

Source: http://pps.sagepub.com/content/1/2/95.abstract

We present a theory about human thought named the unconscious-thought theory (UTT). The theory is applicable to decision making, impression formation, attitude formation and change, problem solving, and creativity. It distinguishes between two modes of thought: unconscious and conscious. Unconscious thought and conscious thought have different characteristics, and these different characteristics make each mode preferable under different circumstances. For instance, contrary to popular belief, decisions about simple issues can be better tackled by conscious thought, whereas decisions about complex matters can be better approached with unconscious thought. The relations between the theory and decision strategies, and between the theory and intuition, are discussed. We end by discussing caveats and future directions.

© Copyright Original Source

This is what I said: As the word "choice" is used in common discourse, an unconscious choice is no choice at all. Which part of the abstract contradicts that? Or, if the contradiction appears elsewhere in the paper, please quote that part.
          Last edited by Doug Shaver; 03-06-2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
            This is what I said: As the word "choice" is used in common discourse, an unconscious choice is no choice at all. Which part of the abstract contradicts that? Or, if the contradiction appears elsewhere in the paper, please quote that part.
            Source: http://pps.sagepub.com/content/1/2/95.abstract

For instance, contrary to popular belief, decisions about simple issues can be better tackled by conscious thought, whereas decisions about complex matters can be better approached with unconscious thought.

Source: Perspectives on Psychological Science, A Theory of Unconscious Thought by Ap Dijksterhuis and Loran F. Nordgren, Social Psychology Program, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Unconscious thought refers to object-relevant or task-relevant cognitive or affective thought processes that occur while conscious attention is directed elsewhere. For instance, after not being able to choose between Florida or Tuscany, one might stop thinking about the choice consciously. Then, after 24 hr, the thought ‘‘It’s going to be Tuscany!’’ might pop into consciousness. This thought itself is conscious, but the transition from indecision to a preference for Tuscany a day later is the result of unconscious thought (see also Dijksterhuis, 2004b).

Last edited by Adrift; 03-06-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment