Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians Believing Badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    I also very much like Frank Schaeffer.
    Thanks for the heads up. Have you seen this one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBRXbsHs2LI
    Atheish – that’s new!
    “One reason I like going to (Greek Orthodox) church is that sometimes you fall into these spaces where you see something.”
    firstfloor (ver. 15th Jan 2015) disavows all previous versions.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 01-15-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Yes ‘evolution’ IS incompatible with a literalist interpretation of Christianity
      No. That is not necessarily the case. There are several literalist interpretations that are compatible with evolution. Whether one finds those interpretations feasible or convincing is another matter, but they do exist.

Comment

Yeah! I don't think anyone thinks God created horses, zebras, and donkeys separately! Or created dogs, wolves, and coyotes separately!
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Yeah! I don't think anyone thinks God created horses, zebras, and donkeys separately! Or created dogs, wolves, and coyotes separately!
          I think you're referring to some sort of "microevolution". There are some old earth creationist interpretations like the ruin-reconstruction theory (aka the gap theory), the day-age view, the analogical days interpretation, historical creationism, the cosmic time view, and others that hold to a literal reading of the Biblical text yet still account for the millions of years that would require "macroevolution" (if you will). People are generally only familiar with the standard YEC take as the only literalist view, but...it isn't. Again, whether these other views and interpretations are tenable is another matter, but they do exist.

Comment

Don't think it's wise to be dogmatic about stuff in prehistory either way. We can ask later. In person?

Comment

Don't think it's wise to be dogmatic about stuff in prehistory either way. We can ask later. In person?
              I suppose that depends on how important ones feels the divine scriptures ought to accord with the perceived evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I suppose that depends on how important ones feels the divine scriptures ought to accord with the perceived evidence.
                Primary vs secondary doctrine. Making YEC a primary seems silly.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

I realize this is starting to move slightly off-topic, now, but would you consider Biblical Inerrancy a primary or secondary doctrine? Though I know he's not representative of Christians as a whole, Ken Ham believes that Inerrancy is a primary doctrine, and he believes that anyone who isn't YEC does violence to that doctrine.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

No. That is not necessarily the case. There are several literalist interpretations that are compatible with evolution. Whether one finds those interpretations feasible or convincing is another matter, but they do exist.
                      The people who hold those views would be quasi-literalists, then. As soon as you dig into the text, metaphor comes into play.

Comment

The people who hold those views would be quasi-literalists, then. As soon as you dig into the text, metaphor comes into play.
                        I don't think there are any readers of the Bible who wouldn't qualify as "quasi-literalists," on that definition. For example, even Ken Ham doesn't believe that the sky is a solid dome, as described in Genesis 1:6-7, or that God has a physical head and face, as described in Psalm 34:15-16.
                        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                          I realize this is starting to move slightly off-topic, now, but would you consider Biblical Inerrancy a primary or secondary doctrine? Though I know he's not representative of Christians as a whole, Ken Ham believes that Inerrancy is a primary doctrine, and he believes that anyone who isn't YEC does violence to that doctrine.
                          Probably different definitions of primary doctrine. I'm using it to refer to things you have to believe to be saved/Christian. Like the Resurrection. Under that definition, Biblical inerrancy isn't a primary. And one has to define inerrancy. Because the translations and copies do have typos so to speak.
                          Last edited by Christianbookworm; 01-15-2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I don't know any literalist view of scripture that is so wooden that there isn't some room for metaphor or figure of speech. Even your most staunch hyper-literalist like King James Onlyists don't believe that God is a hen, or a rock, or that the trees of the field literally clap their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              I don't think there are any readers of the Bible who wouldn't qualify as "quasi-literalists," on that definition. For example, even Ken Ham doesn't believe that the sky is a solid dome, as described in Genesis 1:6-7, or that God has a physical head and face, as described in Psalm 34:15-16.
                              Psalms are poetry. It would be goofy to interpret them woodenly. Though some do. Every time some one uses wisdom literature to form doctrine... .

Comment

I don't know any literalist view of scripture that is so wooden that there isn't some room for metaphor or figure of speech. Even your most staunch hyper-literalist like King James Onlyists don't believe that God is a hen, or a rock, or that the trees of the field literally clap their hands.
                                fify
                                It would be funny if someone really believed that.

Comment