Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians Believing Badly

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Christians Believing Badly

    Here's a sad video of RC Sproul, Al Mohler, and Ravi Zacharias smugly saying evolution isn't compatible with Christianity. It makes me sad to see this, and I almost cringe for them.

    http://youtu.be/yPFi8k5IMK0

    Let's not turn this into a debate on evolution. Instead, this is for evolution-accepting Christians and skeptics to talk about their favorite modern Christian thinkers who say interesting things about epistemology and have sophisticated belief systems.

    I'll start with Pete Enns. His full acceptance of the facts combined with what seems to be an unconpromised religion makes him very likeable and interesting to listen to.

    http://youtu.be/egiFLFOu_4g

    I also very much like Frank Schaeffer. I find his older videos about his transition from evangelicalism to an eastern orthodox belief system fascinating.

    http://youtu.be/M4YP-4oZ3mI

    Evolution is true, so a debate would be boring and filled with PRATTs (Points Refuted A Thousand Times). Please no evolution debate.

  • #2
    Originally posted by whag View Post
    Here's a sad video of RC Sproul, Al Mohler, and Ravi Zacharias smugly saying evolution isn't compatible with Christianity. It makes me sad to see this, and I almost cringe for them.

    http://youtu.be/yPFi8k5IMK0

    Let's not turn this into a debate on evolution. Instead, this is for evolution-accepting Christians and skeptics to talk about their favorite modern Christian thinkers who say interesting things about epistemology and have sophisticated belief systems.

    I'll start with Pete Enns. His full acceptance of the facts combined with what seems to be an unconpromised religion makes him very likeable and interesting to listen to.

    http://youtu.be/egiFLFOu_4g

    I also very much like Frank Schaeffer. I find his older videos about his transition from evangelicalism to an eastern orthodox belief system fascinating.

    http://youtu.be/M4YP-4oZ3mI

    Evolution is true, so a debate would be boring and filled with PRATTs (Points Refuted A Thousand Times). Please no evolution debate.
    So just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from accepting Christianity as Peter Enns sees it?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      So just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from accepting Christianity as Peter Enns sees it?
      Mainly but not limited to 1. Problem of natural evil 2. Anthropomorphic Satan 3. Sin needing to be actualized to effect an ultimate environment free of it. 4. Compulsory love. Many other variations of those four which cause too much dissonance for a proper maintenance of a specific faith.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by whag View Post
        Mainly but not limited to 1. Problem of natural evil 2. Anthropomorphic Satan 3. Sin needing to be actualized to effect an ultimate environment free of it. 4. Compulsory love. Many other variations of those four which cause too much dissonance for a proper maintenance of a specific faith.
        ...go on

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          ...go on
          You ask a serious question of whag and get a thoughtful answer. Whether you agree with it or not, it ill behoves you to respond with laughter.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            You ask a serious question of whag and get a thoughtful answer. Whether you agree with it or not, it ill behoves you to respond with laughter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              You ask a serious question of whag and get a thoughtful answer. Whether you agree with it or not, it ill behoves you to respond with laughter.
              "ill behoves". How quaint.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by whag View Post
                Mainly but not limited to 1. Problem of natural evil 2. Anthropomorphic Satan 3. Sin needing to be actualized to effect an ultimate environment free of it. 4. Compulsory love. Many other variations of those four which cause too much dissonance for a proper maintenance of a specific faith.
                Can you elaborate on "Compulsory love"?

                Thanks
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                  Clever.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Can you elaborate on "Compulsory love"?


                    Thanks

                    Athough I have no enemies, I can imagine having them. I assume Jesus' command to express agape toward them would require action on my part, but I wouldn't know how to actualize that.

                    If I tell you to "go love that person," that diminishes the complexities of it. A bit of chemistry is involved, even if dualism is true and metaphysics plays a part.

                    I think that's partly why the flock struggles. In many cases, they feel like their cups should be running over with the stuff. I don't think that's realistic.

                    Do you want me to elaborate on 3, or do you understand it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whag View Post
                      I'll start with Pete Enns. His full acceptance of the facts combined with what seems to be an unconpromised religion makes him very likeable and interesting to listen to.
                      I credit Peter Enns' Inspiration and Incarnation with changing the way I read the Bible. Relevant to this thread, I became aware of the book due to "Christians Behaving Badly" in the debate that led to his departure from Westminster Theological Seminary. Ironically, considering the timing, his departure placed him on an ever-growing list of conservative Christian scholars "expelled" from their academic posts for attempting to engage with facts deemed controversial within their community.

                      As ever, Jesse
                      Last edited by Juvenal; 01-14-2015, 10:02 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There's a decent recent debate between Peter Enns and David Instone-Brewer on Unbelievable? about defending the scriptures. I fall in line with David Instone-Brewer, but its worth checking out.

                        http://www.premierchristianradio.com...Instone-Brewer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          There's a decent recent debate between Peter Enns and David Instone-Brewer on Unbelievable? about defending the scriptures. I fall in line with David Instone-Brewer, but its worth checking out.

                          http://www.premierchristianradio.com...Instone-Brewer
                          Thanks, Adrift. It's an hour and a half mp3, so I won't have time to listen before the weekend, but I've downloaded it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            Thanks, Adrift. It's an hour and a half mp3, so I won't have time to listen before the weekend, but I've downloaded it.
                            Oh wow. I didn't realize it was that long. I guess it was such an interesting conversation that I didn't think about how long it was.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
                              O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
                              All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near,
                              Join me in glad adoration.

                              Praise to the Lord, Who hath fearfully, wondrously made thee!
                              Health hath vouchsafed, and when heedlessly failing hath stayed thee.
                              What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
                              Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

                              Praise to the Lord, Who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
                              Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
                              Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
                              Saints with His mercy surrounding.


                              Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore Him!
                              All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him!
                              Let the amen sound from His people again,
                              Gladly for aye we adore Him!
                              --Joachim Neander

                              You sure don't need to feel sad for me, whag-y. I don't need any of the phony pity that you send the way of Christians who think that evolution is not only incompatible with Christianity but a lie from the pit of hell.

                              I feel sad for those who have bought into the lie.

                              Surely Joachim Neander would be highly grieved that his name will be forever linked to a false belief system, if he weren't busy praising God in His presence.


                              Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by lee_merrill, 10-30-2020, 09:01 PM
                              28 responses
                              120 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post thormas
                              by thormas
                               
                              Started by lee_merrill, 10-24-2020, 07:58 PM
                              13 responses
                              65 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Gondwanaland  
                              Started by Whateverman, 07-26-2020, 11:01 AM
                              330 responses
                              6,602 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM
                              1,247 responses
                              54,989 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Tassman
                              by Tassman
                               
                              Working...
                              X