Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians Believing Badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
    O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
    All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near,
    Join me in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, Who hath fearfully, wondrously made thee!
    Health hath vouchsafed, and when heedlessly failing hath stayed thee.
    What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
    Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

Praise to the Lord, Who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
    Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
    Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
    Saints with His mercy surrounding.

Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore Him!
    All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him!
    Let the amen sound from His people again,
    Gladly for aye we adore Him!
    --Joachim Neander

You sure don't need to feel sad for me, whag-y. I don't need any of the phony pity that you send the way of Christians who think that evolution is not only incompatible with Christianity but a lie from the pit of hell.

I feel sad for those who have bought into the lie.

Surely Joachim Neander would be highly grieved that his name will be forever linked to a false belief system, if he weren't busy praising God in His presence.
    How do your brethren feel about you being "sad" for them? I wonder if they're equally pitying of you.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      How do your brethren feel about you being "sad" for them? I wonder if they're equally pitying of you.
      Don't much care.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Don't much care.
        If their religious expression isn't marred by their acceptance of evolution, you might be wasting precious pity feeling sorry for them.

Comment

Do you want me to elaborate on 3, or do you understand it?
          3. Sin needing to be actualized to effect an ultimate environment free of it.
          if you wanna make a omelet......

or
          ever heard of osteoclasis

or

ever heard of "the best of all possible worlds" (Leibniz), ....even his critic Voltaire who hated Leibniz' optimism wouldn't have created his enjoyable 'Candide' if not for it.
          To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

I'm not offended by it at all. Quite the opposite, I can totally relate to where she's coming from, and I really admire her stand on her convictions even if we don't see eye to eye on this one aspect of the faith. Even though I think its unfortunate that there's division in the body over this issue, it really touches my heart to know that mossy feels so strongly for those who hold an alternative view.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              I'm not offended by it at all. Quite the opposite, I can totally relate to where she's coming from, and I really admire her stand on her convictions even if we don't see eye to eye on this one aspect of the faith. Even though I think its unfortunate that there's division in the body over this issue, it really touches my heart to know that mossy feels so strongly for those who hold an alternative view.
              Evolution being true, offense shouldn't be taken. I was more getting at a mutual pitying of each other. She pitying you and you pitying her, both for having succumbed to lies.

I'd like to know how what merits the feeling of pity, if, in fact, she really meant "pity" and wasn't merely expressing a platitude.

Comment

If their religious expression isn't marred by their acceptance of evolution, you might be wasting precious pity feeling sorry for them.
                Then I shall expend all my pity on you for your continued rejection of Christ.

I am done here. Carry on.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Going to post again just to respond to my brother. I do not see different views on creation among believers to be a salvific issue, although I frankly do not understand their thinking. I love each and every one of those fellow believers who think evolution is the way that God created, and think none the less of them for their views. (Although I am fully convinced they are wrong.......).

My pity is more for those unbelievers who deny a Creator in order to deny their own sinfulness and need for a Redeemer.

NOW I am done here.

Comment

Then I shall expend all my pity on you for your continued rejection of Christ.

I am done here. Carry on.
                    I'm trying to figure out if I really pity you for rejecting reliable knowledge or if it's just a platitude. I'll get back to you via PM.

Comment

Going to post again just to respond to my brother. I do not see different views on creation among believers to be a salvific issue, although I frankly do not understand their thinking. I love each and every one of those fellow believers who think evolution is the way that God created, and think none the less of them for their views. (Although I am fully convinced they are wrong.......).

My pity is more for those unbelievers who deny a Creator in order to deny their own sinfulness and need for a Redeemer.

NOW I am done here.
                      So you don't really "pity" your brethren who've bought the lie. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Evolution being true, offense shouldn't be taken. I was more getting at a mutual pitying of each other. She pitying you and you pitying her, both for having succumbed to lies.

I'd like to know how what merits the feeling of pity, if, in fact, she really meant "pity" and wasn't merely expressing a platitude.
                        I don't think she's "succumbed to lies", regardless if that's how she feels about me. I think we are both grappling to understand as best we can. So no, I don't feel any pity for her, but I do appreciate her sense of sadness.

Couple things to note here, the word "pity" is what she said you were doing ("phony pity" actually). What she said about other Christians is that she felt sad. Second thing to note. The little manipulation thing you're doing here is obvious. As my sister in Christ, I love mossy, and all of the other YECs on this website. Just like my real sibling sometimes we don't agree, sometimes we even get into it. But at the end of the day, they're family. So, you know, this whole Christian against Christian thing that you're trying to jump on, its pathetic, and you really ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

I don't think she's "succumbed to lies", regardless if that's how she feels about me. I think we are both grappling to understand as best we can. So no, I don't feel any pity for her, but I do appreciate her sense of sadness.

Couple things to note here, the word "pity" is what she said you were doing ("phony pity" actually). What she said about other Christians is that she felt sad. Second thing to note. The little manipulation thing you're doing here is obvious. As my sister in Christ, I love mossy, and all of the other YECs on this website. Just like my real sibling sometimes we don't agree, sometimes we even get into it. But at the end of the day, they're family. So, you know, this whole Christian against Christian thing that you're trying to jump on, its pathetic, and you really ought to be ashamed of yourself.
                          There isn't a thing I can do to increase tension between your family members. And inasmuch as I can love a stranger, I too love you and mossy. You should be ashamed to think only you can love like that.

Epistemelogical perspectives and how they effect emotions are what interest me. I love my wide assortment of Christian family and seek to de-escalate tensions between them.

Comment

I also very much like Frank Schaeffer. I find his older videos about his transition from evangelicalism to an eastern orthodox belief system fascinating.

Comment

There isn't a thing I can do to increase tension between your family members. And inasmuch as I can love a stranger, I too love you and mossy. You should be ashamed to think only you can love like that.
                              The love that I feel for my spiritual family is a Christ thing. There's no way you can know what that's like until you're born again. I hope that day comes.

Epistemelogical perspectives and how they effect emotions are what interest me. I love my wide assortment of Christian family and seek to de-escalate tensions between them.
                              No, what interests you is causing strife and doubt. I think that's pretty plain.

Comment

The love that I feel for my spiritual family is a Christ thing. There's no way you can know what that's like until you're born again. I hope that day comes.

No, what interests you is causing strife and doubt. I think that's pretty plain.
                                No, what's plain is you're having a whack attack. The church is inoculated to strife through renewal of the mind. It's not as weak or vulnerable as you seem to be proclaiming here.

Doubt being a refiner of faith, I wouldn't freak out about whatever you think I've done to augment it in you.

Comment