Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity Is Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
    I think we should all just be appropriately afraid of power.
    True, unless it’s the power that you approve of - then you are not afraid, but you should be? Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So beware of those who claim to know what the absolute power (God) wants.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 01-24-2014, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Interesting because the Bible actually tells us to test everything and to hold onto what is good. Want to try this again?
      The idea of testing faith by reason is oxymoronic. That is to say that evidence based knowledge and faith differ from each other because faith goes beyond evidence while reliable knowledge stays within the boundaries defined by evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        The idea of testing faith by reason is oxymoronic. That is to say that evidence based knowledge and faith differ from each other because faith goes beyond evidence while reliable knowledge stays within the boundaries defined by evidence.
        No, this is only your misunderstanding of faith(the Greek is pistis, which is used of forensic type evidence) talking. It's best understood as loyalty based on past experience. Here's something that should help explain it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          No, this is only your misunderstanding of faith(the Greek is pistis, which is used of forensic type evidence) talking. It's best understood as loyalty based on past experience.
          The Bible with its known history is evidence that the story can be traced to ancient times. The witness evidence that the story is true or not is lost to history - they're all dead. All you can do now is look at the story and try to decide which parts of it are mythical or legendary or possibly historical. Or you can have blind faith that it is all true. The details in the story are not themselves evidence of the truth of the story. Try reading some fiction to see what it feels like to read a story that you know is not true but yet has a compelling logic to it. This is not a very good example but might help with the explanation.
          “These are the voyages of the starship, Enterprise ……” No they're not!

Comment

The Bible with its known history is evidence that the story can be traced to ancient times. The witness evidence that the story is true or not is lost to history - they're all dead. All you can do now is look at the story and try to decide which parts of it are mythical or legendary or possibly historical. Or you can have blind faith that it is all true. The details in the story are not themselves evidence of the truth of the story. Try reading some fiction to see what it feels like to read a story that you know is not true but yet has a compelling logic to it. This is not a very good example but might help with the explanation.
            “These are the voyages of the starship, Enterprise ……” No they're not!
            You obviously know nothing about things like genre, historical studies, or anything else pertinent to this discussion. You are obviously trolling at this point.

Comment

You obviously know nothing about things like genre, historical studies, or anything else pertinent to this discussion. You are obviously trolling at this point.
              This is the stumped Christian response.

Comment

This is the stumped Christian response.
                No, no it's not. I'm guessing you've never even seen a "stumped Christian", so you had to make up what one looks like in your head. Well, your imagination doesn't match reality. Refusing to play the game of a troll, is not being "stumped".

Comment

• Trout,
                  Dee Dee posted in my thread.
                  You owe me a coke.

-MehGerbil
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
                    Trout,
                    You owe me a coke.

-MehGerbil
                    In apologetics 301 no less. Never thought I'd lose that one.
                    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

No, no it's not. I'm guessing you've never even seen a "stumped Christian", so you had to make up what one looks like in your head. Well, your imagination doesn't match reality. Refusing to play the game of a troll, is not being "stumped".

Comment

• Some replies are just too stupid to answer substantively.

Pro Tip: When trolling, don't get into a 'You said', 'No, you said' argument. It doesn't really drag in any bystanders, which is what you want.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
                          Trout,
                          You owe me a coke.

-MehGerbil
                          Careful with the empty, rodent. You wouldn't want to lead the fishboi into aluminum-tinged varve-smoking temptation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trout View Post
                            Mr Andius, what would be the best case study to validate your point that the skeptic's fear is based in paranoia? Which theocratic or ecclesiocratic system past or present represents good governance? Would it be Calvin's Geneva? Vatican city? Modern day Iran? Something else?
                            Vlad Tepes.

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• excellent!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                Careful with the empty, rodent. You wouldn't want to lead the fishboi into aluminum-tinged varve-smoking temptation.
                                I only drink Coke out of glass bottles.
                                I found that Trout ignores me when I bounce plastic bottles off of his head.

Now I don't mean to be rude but I really have no more time for this thread.
                                I plan to spend the rest of the morning listening to Lady Gaga's Born This Way on YouTube.
                                I figure if Darthy can derive the theological underpinnings for his view of hell from Dante's Inferno I should be able to learn something about the virgin birth from Lady Gaga.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment