Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    What? You agree that we are insignificant specks then why on earth do our moral ideals have significance? Or do you have the fantasy that some how they have significance?
    Our moral rules have significance within our communities, not in the eternal sense that you fantasise about. This is no more than escapist wish fulfilment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      So say atheism's adversaries. It carries as much logical weight as the claim by non-Christians that tritheism is the logical conclusion of the doctrine of the Trinity.
      Existential nihilism: is the philosophical theory that life has no intrinsic meaning or value. With respect to the universe, existential nihilism suggests that a single human or even the entire human species is insignificant, without purpose and unlikely to change in the totality of existence. According to the theory, each individual is an isolated being born into the universe, barred from knowing "why", yet compelled to invent meaning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism

Tell me Doug what do you disagree with in this definition?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        They have significance to us because they impact our existence, in much the same way our children have significance to us because they impact our lives. They do not have "eternal" or "absolute" or "objective" significance because we will each one day die and cease to exist, so the significance will end at that point.

It is not a fantasy - it is subject and temporal significance - which is still significance. It's simply not "absolute" or "eternal" significance.

When I look up "significance" I find the definitions:

"the quality of being worthy of attention; importance"

and

"the meaning to be found in words or events."

Nowhere in either definition is there any indication that significance has to be "permanent" or "eternal" or "objective" to be real.
        Do you tell yourself this stuff Carp as you click the heels of your ruby red slippers three times?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Our moral rules have significance within our communities, not in the eternal sense that you fantasise about. This is no more than escapist wish fulfilment.
          But neither we or our communities actually have significance, as you already agreed...

Comment

And so what if we do? We are all ultimately meaningless anyway... Just a bunch of ants running around...
            Right, if we all killed each other, the world would go on without us, the same as it goes on without the dinosaurs, but so long as we are here our lives have meaning to us which is why we have moral laws to protect our idiotic selves from each other. You've said it yourself in the past, without god, i.e. without objective morals, you wouldn't be able to behave yourself in a mature and moral way with respect to others.

Comment

So say atheism's adversaries.
              I'm pretty sure a significant amount of atheists say it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                You've said it yourself in the past, without god, i.e. without objective morals, you wouldn't be able to behave yourself in a mature and moral way with respect to others.
                So what? If you can get away with it why not? And why on earth should we respect these insignificant nothings or even ourselves? You are not making sense Jim.

Comment

So what? If you can get away with it why not? And why on earth should we respect these insignificant nothings or even ourselves? You are not making sense Jim.
                  And there you go christians, now you know why we created gods and his supposed laws.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    And there you go christians, now you know why we created gods and his supposed laws.
                    Are you a good man Jim? How do you know? Based on what?

Comment

Are you a good man Jim? How do you know? Based on what?
                      The question isn't whether or not we are good seer, people are neither good nor bad, the question is whether or not we are intelligent and responsible enough to understand and to morally behave according to that which is ultimately in all of our collective best interests. I understand that we don't always do that, whether we believe in god or not, that's why we have prisons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        I'm pretty sure a significant amount of atheists say it too.
                        Got some quotations?

And try to remember that just because an atheist says "I believe X" doesn't mean they claiming "There is no God, therefore X."

Comment

Do you tell yourself this stuff Carp as you click the heels of your ruby red slippers three times?
                          Not exactly a post with a lot of content for discussion, Seer. You continue to go to these places when you have no actual argument to make. It's not very productive, IMO.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So say atheism's adversaries. It carries as much logical weight as the claim by non-Christians that tritheism is the logical conclusion of the doctrine of the Trinity.
                            So say many atheists, Doug. Existential nihilism is painted as the "bad thing." I have no ideas if it's "bad" or "good." The reality is, we are indeed a small species is a backwater corner of a universe that is eventually going to cease to exist. Any meaning exists only so long as their is a mind to conceive of it, and eventually there will not be.

Somehow that is supposed to make me despair and end my existence. However, I actually like my existence, and I like my life and the experience of living. So I'm going to live it - and enjoy it. The universe existed long before I was born, and will exist long after I end. I do not find the fact that we aren't "the king of the world" a matter for dismay. It doesn't change my day. It doesn't undermine the value I find in life, or the experience of living it. I don't need "absolute cosmic meaning" to find "meaning."

The canard that anything that isn't eternal and absolute isn't real is the true hoax. Especially when people are pinning their hopes on something that cannot be shown to even exist.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Not exactly a post with a lot of content for discussion, Seer. You continue to go to these places when you have no actual argument to make. It's not very productive, IMO.
                              OK, now do this: click your heels and say I really have value, I really have value, I really have value. Now don't you feel better?

Comment

OK, now do this: click your heels and say I really have value, I really have value, I really have value. Now don't you feel better?
                                I really have value.

I don't eternally have value. I don't absolutely have value. But I really have value.

You'll be hard-put to show otherwise. Unless of course, you try to make the argument that the only REAL value is eternal and absolute. Unfortunately for you, neither of those concepts are part of the definition of "value." Look it up...

Comment