Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Empiricism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Okay, busted. My money was on the sea monster. So maybe I didn't try THAT hard to talk Him out of it.
    When the gods fight one another what else can a mortal do but make some coin?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      If I call it egotistical bigotry do you start to smell the stench of it? We should be able to rise above all that.
      How is your definition of bigotry, or rather how you apply that definition, not arbitrary?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
        The Christian is identified by the irrational application of love to enemies.
        It is when the truth seeker begins to look for the cause of the irrational love that God is found.
        Loving your enemies is about breaking down barriers that separate you from other people; barriers like Straight/Gay, Christian/Muslim, Black/White, Men/Women, Rich/Poor, etc. It is a long list. I do not agree that it is an irrational love. The benefits are pretty obvious and it is the course we are on as a greater society - towards the kingdom of god/s?

Comment

What this does is place you in position of apparently arguing against the obvious and in favor of various anti-social behaviors.
          Even from a purely naturalistic standpoint he could downshift into 'Social Contract' gibberish and remain perfectly rational.
          What I'm really arguing against is both their arbitrary definitions and arbitrary application. I'm getting tired of being labeled a bigot. I recently was called a bigot by homosexual activists because I suggested that homosexual behavior was sin/immoral (this was around the whole Duck Dynasty thing). The problem is that their argument is not rational. If I say, on religious grounds, that rape, or adultery, or fornication, or drunkenness, etc... are sin or immoral does that too make me bigoted against those who practice such things? Of course not - their claim of bigotry is meaningless...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Loving your enemies is about breaking down barriers that separate you from other people; barriers like Straight/Gay, Christian/Muslim, Black/White, Men/Women, Rich/Poor, etc. It is a long list. I do not agree that it is an irrational love. The benefits are pretty obvious and it is the course we are on as a greater society - towards the kingdom of god/s?
            You mean like the barriers you erect by labeling people of faith bigots?

Comment

If you can state the benefits then it would no longer be irrational, would it?
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

1 of those barriers didn't exist when Christianity started, and 3/4* of the others WERE broken down in Christian communities.

You do realize that there are a reason for certain barriers, right?

*Depending on how you're going to define Gay anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  What I'm really arguing against is both their arbitrary definitions and arbitrary application. I'm getting tired of being labeled a bigot. I recently was called a bigot by homosexual activists because I suggested that homosexual behavior was sin/immoral (this was around the whole Duck Dynasty thing). The problem is that their argument is not rational. If I say, on religious grounds, that rape, or adultery, or fornication, or drunkenness, etc... are sin or immoral does that too make me bigoted against those who practice such things? Of course not - their claim of bigotry is meaningless...
                  Within the context of your own world view why would you expect these people to act differently?
                  We aren't called to correct name calling.
                  We're called to sacrifice for those that call names.

It's a tough row to hoe, for sure.

Comment

people of faith
                    Oh God it's spreading...
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Within the context of your own world view why would you expect these people to act differently?
                      We aren't called to correct name calling.
                      We're called to sacrifice for those that call names.

It's a tough row to hoe, for sure.
                      I see no problem with pointing out their hypocrisy or lack of logic.

Comment

Anyone else notice how the more influential MehGerbil-like views get, the more irrelevant Christianity becomes?
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I see no problem with pointing out their hypocrisy or lack of logic.
                          I think in a debate that is fine; however, part of the consequence is that you'll end up an opponent instead of a friend.
                          That is often appropriate, but it does limit your ability to work in a person's life when it matters most.

Comment

How is your definition of bigotry, or rather how you apply that definition, not arbitrary?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Anyone else notice how the more influential MehGerbil-like views get, the more irrelevant Christianity becomes?
                              I take it the market for camouflaged Bibles has dried up.
                              Now that you've got time, why don't you enumerate those views - because I lost my list.

Comment

Comment