Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does an Omniscient Creator Lead to Fatalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    The Apostle Paul wrote the Roman Christians telling them, "There is none who understands; there is none who seeks God." So how have you sought to find God?

Comment

Well according to the Apostle Paul no one seeks God. So the question then becomes, how did you seek God before you decided there was none?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Well according to the Apostle Paul no one seeks God. So the question then becomes, how did you seek God before you decided there was none?

Comment

God`s omniscience is infinite. God being infinitely omnipresent. He cannot not know. God created man to be self-willed. Free-will is a popular interpretation of our self-will. God making us self willed makes us responsible for our choices regardless. We make choices.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
            You haven't actually read the thread, have you? The point is that -given God's existence and molinism- if God had already made the circumstances and evidence available to me, I would be a theist by now. But since I'm an atheist, God has only done that deliberately to the extent that He knew I would choose atheism.
            I have read the thread. The problem here is that you don't understand the concepts involved. Your future is not set in stone. You could, this very second, repent of your sins and become a Christian, or you can continue to stubbornly refuse God's grace. The choice is entirely yours. Both of these potential futures are consistent with God's omniscience because the universe in which they happen is only actualized when you make the choice. God knows the infinite possibilities that branch out from every point in your life, but only you can choose which one of those possibilities becomes actual.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
              It has. God's apparent "change of mind" was an example of what tribal gods do. Namely, providing a divine imprimatur for Moses (in this instance) to rationalise his raping and pillaging and land stealing. It's a tribal thing.
              It would be so much easier (and less embarrassing for you) if you just admitted you didn't know what you were talking about.

The passage in question is about God punishing the Israelites for sins against him. It has nothing to do with the conquest of the Promised Land.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I have read the thread. The problem here is that you don't understand the concepts involved. Your future is not set in stone. You could, this very second, repent of your sins and become a Christian, or you can continue to stubbornly refuse God's grace. The choice is entirely yours. Both of these potential futures are consistent with God's omniscience because the universe in which they happen is only actualized when you make the choice. God knows the infinite possibilities that branch out from every point in your life, but only you can choose which one of those possibilities becomes actual.
                Yet under Molinism -the issue at hand- God can choose to bring circumstances about under which He knows I will freely choose theism, or
                circumstances about under which He knows I will freely choose atheism. So far He has done the latter, and not the former.

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                  Yet under Molinism -the issue at hand- God can choose to bring circumstances about under which He knows I will freely choose theism, or
                  circumstances about under which He knows I will freely choose atheism. So far He has done the latter, and not the former.
                  I'm not talking about Molinism, I'm talking about Open Theism.

Comment

I'm not talking about Molinism, I'm talking about Open Theism.
                    Well, Sparkles and I were talking about Molinism, so that only goes to show you have not been reading the thread.

Comment

The passage in question is about God punishing the Israelites for sins against him. It has nothing to do with the conquest of the Promised Land.
                      I guess you missed the point that for a tribal god, his role was to provide the divine imprimatur for whatever it is the tribal leader wanted to do.

Comment

Open theism denies God's full omniscience (1 John 3:20). An fails to understand the role of the Son of God (Mark 13:32; Acts 1:7).

Comment

Open theism denies God's full omniscience (1 John 3:20). An fails to understand the role of the Son of God (Mark 13:32; Acts 1:7).
                          Full omniscience is one of the traditional attributes of God:

"8. OMNISCIENT: God is perfect in that He knows all things, including events before they happen.

Perfect in knowledge, Job 37:16
                          Knows the heart (1 Sam. 16:7; 1 Chr. 28:9, 17; Psa. 139:1-4; Jer. 17:10a)
                          Knows all events to come (Isa. 41:22-23; 42:9; 44:7)"

http://www.equip.org/article/the-att...ibutes-of-god/

Hence, God supposedly knew even before he created you what you would decide at any given point in time. So how is this 'free-will' exactly?
                          Last edited by Tassman; 12-25-2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Full omniscience is one of the traditional attributes of God:

"8. OMNISCIENT: God is perfect in that He knows all things, including events before they happen.

Perfect in knowledge, Job 37:16
                            Knows the heart (1 Sam. 16:7; 1 Chr. 28:9, 17; Psa. 139:1-4; Jer. 17:10a)
                            Knows all events to come (Isa. 41:22-23; 42:9; 44:7)"

http://www.equip.org/article/the-att...ibutes-of-god/

Hence, God supposedly knew even before he created you what you would decide at any given point in time. So how is this 'free-will' exactly?
                            From a finite view of God that is not possible. But God is truly infinite. And all that was created was created by way of His agent (John 1:1-3; Ephesians 3:9). His agent always shared the infinite attributes and was also finite in an immeasurable way (John 1:2).

Comment

It depends on what you mean by "full omniscience". Omniscience simply means knowing everything that it is logically possible to know. For instance, God in his "full omniscience" can't know what a square circle looks like, or what it's like to possess tea and no tea at the same time and in the same sense (bonus points if you get that obscure reference). Similarly, it is logically impossible for God to know what a freewill agent will choose prior to his choosing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                                I guess you missed the point that for a tribal god, his role was to provide the divine imprimatur for whatever it is the tribal leader wanted to do.
                                Yeah, except that Moses initially pleaded with God to not punish the Israelites.

Comment