Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Argh! Cooties!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      What remnants would those be? There isn't a lot of the Roman Empire that hasn't been conquered at some time or other. Again, what remnants are you talking about?
      Well, mainly Europe and parts of the Middle East.
      You think modern Europe is a remnant of the Roman Empire? Even though much of it (Germany/Denmark/Poland/Scandinavia) was never even part of the Roman Empire?

Be specific. Which parts of Europe and which parts of the Middle East are remnants of the Roman Empire. Spain? Jerusalem? Scotland? Jordan? Sicily? Oman? Rome?
      Well, they haven't been reunited or reconquered. So far the prophecy is holding up! And the next stage will be the establishing of God's kingdom.
      Since your prophecy depends on there still being extant remnants of the Roman Empire to be crushed by 'God's kingdom',* unless you can actually name an extant remnant of the Roman Empire your prophecy has failed.

*In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end,
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Wait. What? Babylon was still standing in Alexander's day. It was the capital of the Persian Empire which he just defeated. In fact that was where he died. No need to rebuild it.

Or am I taking your statement too literally?
        I think you're over-estimating Lee's grasp of history. He not only doesn't know that Babylon existed long after Christianity, he doesn't seem to have heard of the fall of Rome.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          So.. about 4 billion years...
          So far.

ETA: Most of that 4 billion years was before this prophesy was even made.
          Last edited by Jedidiah; 12-20-2017, 11:57 AM.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            So far.

ETA: Most of that 4 billion years was before this prophesy was even made.
            I was looking forward - and I used the wrong number. Assuming we don't pollute ourselves to death, the sun will make the earth uninhabitable in about 1-2 billion years. So we'll have to wait until then to know if the prophecy is "fulfilled."

One of the many reasons I don't have a lot of use for "prophecy"
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Wait. What? Babylon was still standing in Alexander's day. It was the capital of the Persian Empire which he just defeated. In fact that was where he died. No need to rebuild it.
              Encarta Encyclopedia reads:

So yes, the city was there in Alexander's day, but it was apparently in some disrepair.

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Be specific. Which parts of Europe and which parts of the Middle East are remnants of the Roman Empire. Spain? Jerusalem? Scotland? Jordan? Sicily? Oman? Rome? Since your prophecy depends on there still being extant remnants of the Roman Empire to be crushed by 'God's kingdom',* unless you can actually name an extant remnant of the Roman Empire your prophecy has failed.
                Well, here is a map of the Roman Empire at about 117 A.D. So that would include Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Israel, parts of Egypt, etc.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

So at what point does one say, "yeah - that's 'built-up' enough to qualify?"
                  Well, like the rebuilding of Jerusalem, it's a city again, and reinhabited.

This is the problem with prophecies, IMO. There is just too much room for fudging and interpretation.
                  Let's say when I can address the mayor of Babylon...

Blessings!
                  Lee

Comment

Let's say when I can address the mayor of Babylon...

Blessings!
                    Lee
                    The problem, Lee, is that development HAS occurred in that area. It simply has a different name (Hillah), much of the area is now aggrarian, and the heart of what was Babylon is a tourist area. So perhaps the board of the tourist area would suffice? Or the mayor of Hillah, which occupies some of what was formerly ancient Babylon?

You have placed a great deal of weight on these prophecies - that much is clear. For me - it's simply not tenable as a basis for belief.

Comment

I was looking forward - and I used the wrong number. Assuming we don't pollute ourselves to death, the sun will make the earth uninhabitable in about 1-2 billion years. So we'll have to wait until then to know if the prophecy is "fulfilled."
                      Ah.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• The argument from fulfilled (or unfulfilled) prophecy doesn't strike me as a particularly strong or good argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          The historical-critical methodology of modern historians doesn't accept miracles (the core component of the Jesus story) on the basis that they can't be shown to be true, NOT because of their "own dogmatic commitments".
                          Most modern historians don't adhere to "historical-critical" methodology, because that term doesn't exist outside New Testament Studies.

From my experience with professors of my graduate program, most will say that we can't adjudicate on miracles because it requires a philosophical argument beyond the historical. As it currently stands, the kind of "historical-critical" methodology that Ehrman is indebted to is in real trouble. Many NT scholars are calling form critical assumptions into question.

Comment

Be specific. Which parts of Europe and which parts of the Middle East are remnants of the Roman Empire. Spain? Jerusalem? Scotland? Jordan? Sicily? Oman? Rome? Since your prophecy depends on there still being extant remnants of the Roman Empire to be crushed by 'God's kingdom',* unless you can actually name an extant remnant of the Roman Empire your prophecy has failed.
                            Well, here is a map of the Roman Empire at about 117 A.D. So that would include Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Israel, parts of Egypt, etc.
                            So you think Spain is an extant remnant of the Roman Empire that will be crushed by 'God's Kingdom' - despite it already having been already conquered by the Visigoths in the 5th century, the Arabs in the 8th century, various Christian nations in the 13th century, and the French then the British in the 19th Century - not including various incursions by Magyars, Moroccans, and other Arabs, plus various internal conflicts. Your expected 'God's Kingdom' cannot crush the remnants of the Roman Empire since they will continue to be remnants of the Roman Empire even after being conquered.

Since under this standard your prophecy can only be disestablished by millions of years of continental drift or the wholesale destruction of the Earth, I can only conclude that it is either already falsified or unfalsifiable. Either way your argument is toast.
                            Last edited by Roy; 12-21-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Your own source says this already happened:

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                                Most modern historians don't adhere to "historical-critical" methodology, because that term doesn't exist outside New Testament Studies.
                                From my experience with professors of my graduate program, most will say that we can't adjudicate on miracles because it requires a philosophical argument beyond the historical.
                                As it currently stands, the kind of "historical-critical" methodology that Ehrman is indebted to is in real trouble. Many NT scholars are calling form critical assumptions into question.

Comment