Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    But my point was about the Gospels being written four decades after the events.
    Why should I believe they were written then?

Comment

Jim you are claiming that it is a fairy tale, but there is no evidence that it is a fairy tale or that the writers intended to spin a yarn.
      The narratives were written long after the events by non-eyewitnesses, who were passing on stories in circulation about Jesus and which probably grew more fanciful in the telling.

But my point was about the Gospels being written four decades after the events. Which is not a problem since many original followers of Christ could still around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        Why should I believe they were written then?
        I don't know ask Jim, that is what he claimed.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

God is not physical. At least not in the sense that we understand physical.
          Originally posted by seer, in response to assertions elsewhere
          Prove it!
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            In case this is all going over your head Homer, the ONLY reason I ask atheists/materialists to PROVE anything is because that is what they are are always asking us to do. Thereby highlighting their double standard.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."* Or "systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. "**

Thus you can test any part of the material universe, but you can not go outside and test the origin of the universe.
              And I never said that you could, though I fail to see what this has to do with the point I made.

Comment

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                And I never said that you could, though I fail to see what this has to do with the point I made.
                This:
                Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                If the universe is self-existent, can it not be scientifically tested then?
                Appeared to me to be such a suggestion. The answer is no.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."* Or "systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. "**

Thus you can test any part of the material universe, but you can not go outside and test the origin of the universe.

* According to Google
                  ** According to Dictionary.com
                  I believe the origins of the universe may be to tested to certain extent, but that extent has not been determined yet. As far as the origin of our physical existence science cannot test for the origins.

Comment

In case this is all going over your head Homer, the ONLY reason I ask atheists/materialists to PROVE anything is because that is what they are are always asking us to do. Thereby highlighting their double standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      I believe the origins of the universe may be to tested to certain extent, but that extent has not been determined yet. As far as the origin of our physical existence science cannot test for the origins.
                      Any examples of possibilities?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• No Tass, you guys are constantly making claims in our discussions here that you can not prove. Like Jim's claim in this thread that the Gospel were fairy tales, you do the same thing.

Comment

No Tass, you guys are constantly making claims in our discussions here that you can not prove. Like Jim's claim in this thread that the Gospel were fairy tales, you do the same thing.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 07-02-2017, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• I was not speaking of science, but of your faith claims, like this fairy tale thing. There is zero evidence that the writers of the New Testament intended to write fairy tales or thought they were writing fairy tales. And if you make the claim it is on you to justify it.

Comment

• Science can test for falsifiable evidence where events follow a natural, predictable, and normal course. It can't test for events that are the result of volition - those are wholly unpredictable.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This:

Appeared to me to be such a suggestion. The answer is no.
                                I'm still thinking you're talking about the origin or cause of the universe that can not be a subject of science. The universe itself can be tested: we can measure its size, mass, age, etc.
                                Last edited by crepuscule; 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment