Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

UFO/UAP Disclosure’s Effect on Religious Belief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The fall wasn't necessary, but given free will it was probably inevitable.

I'm fairly certain that a rejection of YEC does not necessitate a rejection of Genesis 3, but it's not something I've looked into.

Lastly, I'll note for the record that the articles I linked aren't necessarily my POV; I just thought they merited some consideration. I'm skeptical that alien life exists, given the extremely long odds against life developing. I'm further skeptical that alien life, if it existed, could cross the vast distances between stars easily enough to make visits feasible; physics seems to make that rather unlikely.
    While the odds are indeed poor, given the vast immenseness of the universe means your going to get a nearly endless amount of attempts. Hence, the odds that life exists elsewhere are actually darn good.

But when folks hear that they immediately think of little green men cruising the galaxies in flying saucers. Far, far more likely we're talking about single-celled lifeforms and the like and not intelligent life.

That's a whole 'nudder kettle of fish.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      OEC accept the fact that eons have existed. That's why they're Old Earth Creationists.
      I never said otherwise. I was responding to his statement [bold mine]:

Originally posted by alaskazimm
      As far as Gen 3, I don't follow the YEC position any longer and would probably call myself a OEC at this point.
      I asked why he was reticent to say he was OEC when deep time isn’t a matter of “probably.” Eons are confirmed
      to have transpired.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I never said otherwise. I was responding to his statement [bold mine]:

I asked why he was reticent to say he was OEC when deep time isn’t a matter of “probably.” Eons are confirmed
        to have transpired.

I say probably because while I used to hold firmly to the YEC position, I have given that stance up. But in the intervening time since being a firm YEC and now, I haven't really given the matter a great deal of thought as to me it makes no impact on the question of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. So I'm probably in the OEC camp but really can't be more committal than that since I haven't studied that various positions to any meaningful degree.
        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
          The fall wasn't necessary, but given free will it was probably inevitable.
          Thank you for that brave concession. How could anyone conclude otherwise if it happened with the first couple in the ineffable presence of God?

I understand your reticence to say the fall wasn’t necessary, but there’s really no way around it if God knows it’s inevitable at the very outset.

I'm fairly certain that a rejection of YEC does not necessitate a rejection of Genesis 3, but it's not something I've looked into.

I can help you get started: If one accepts OEC, one must accept that predation, disease, and calamity are evident in the natural history record, which goes back billions of years. All those signature “groaning” symptoms antedated human action.

Lastly, I'll note for the record that the articles I linked aren't necessarily my POV; I just thought they merited some consideration. I'm skeptical that alien life exists, given the extremely long odds against life developing. I'm further skeptical that alien life, if it existed, could cross the vast distances between stars easily enough to make visits feasible; physics seems to make that rather unlikely.
          There was a time I’d agree with you, but eyewitness evidence going back more than a hundred years ago suggests otherwise. (Remember, we’re told eyewitness testimony from 2000 years ago is reliable.)

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

I say probably because while I used to hold firmly to the YEC position, I have given that stance up. But in the intervening time since being a firm YEC and now, I haven't really given the matter a great deal of thought as to me it makes no impact on the question of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. So I'm probably in the OEC camp but really can't be more committal than that since I haven't studied that various positions to any meaningful degree.
            Fair enough. Thank you for explaining.

Comment