Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

UFO/UAP Disclosure’s Effect on Religious Belief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO/UAP Disclosure’s Effect on Religious Belief

Are there any Christians here who have thoughts about the “disclosure” about aliens and alien craft that seems to be ramping up ? What do you believe it is, and do you find the eyewitness testimonies of people credible and/or challenging or difficult to comport to your worldview?

I haven't been following or even heard much of any UFO reports or disclosures of aliens or their craft, but I'm not sure why, if such really existed, it would be any challenge to a Christian worldview. The Bible doesn't say anything about other life forms in space either affirming or denying their existence. (Well, it does talk about the messengers of God and the messengers of Satan (angels and demons). But other that than them it is silent.) About the only possible difficulty other life forms might pose for a Christian is the theoretical question of "what if they sin? Would Jesus have to die for them as well?" Such questions don't bother me at all because I trust God that he would be able to handle such an eventuality if it ever occurred.
    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
      I haven't been following or even heard much of any UFO reports or disclosures of aliens or their craft, but I'm not sure why, if such really existed, it would be any challenge to a Christian worldview. The Bible doesn't say anything about other life forms in space either affirming or denying their existence. (Well, it does talk about the messengers of God and the messengers of Satan (angels and demons). But other that than them it is silent.) About the only possible difficulty other life forms might pose for a Christian is the theoretical question of "what if they sin? Would Jesus have to die for them as well?" Such questions don't bother me at all because I trust God that he would be able to handle such an eventuality if it ever occurred.
      I consider your assessment and attitude valid.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Are there any Christians here who have thoughts about the “disclosure” about aliens and alien craft that seems to be ramping up ? What do you believe it is, and do you find the eyewitness testimonies of people credible and/or challenging or difficult to comport to your worldview?
        Meh.

Nothing more than modern bread and circuses to keep the masses distracted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

To be fair, there is nothing in the Bible to suggest that other intelligent beings (besides angels and demons) do not exist elsewhere in the universe, so if it were ever definitively proven that little green men had visited Earth, it would have zero impact on Christian theology since Biblical history culminating in Jesus' death and resurrection would still be true.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Back in 2009 the Vatican Observatory held a conference of scientists who are Christian, not just RCC, to discuss the possibility of alien life, including sentient life. The concept didn't make many waves among the participants in that the possibility was largely greeted with agreement that it was certainly possible. Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and the director of the Vatican Observatory, said that the issue raises "many philosophical and theological implications" and that if intelligent life were discovered elsewhere then they would also be considered "part of creation."

Source: VATICAN HOLDS CONFERENCE ON EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE

Though it may seem an unlikely location to happen upon a conference on astrobiology, the Vatican recently held a study week of over 30 astronomers, biologists, geologists and religious leaders to discuss the question of the existence of extraterrestrials. This follows the statement made last year by the Popes chief astronomer, Father Gabriel Funes, that the existence of extraterrestrials does not preclude a belief in God, and that its a question to be explored by the Catholic Church. The event, put on by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, took place at the Casina Pio IV on the Vatican grounds from November 6-11.

The conference was meant to focus on the scientific perspective on the subject of the existence of extraterrestrial life, and pulled in perspectives from atheist scientists and Catholic leaders alike. It was split into eight different segments, starting with a topics about life here on Earth such as the origins of life, the Earths habitability through time, and the environment and genomes. Then the detection of life elsewhere, search strategies for extrasolar planets, the formation and properties of extrasolar planets was discussed, culminating in the last segment, intelligence elsewhere and shadow life life with a biochemistry completely different than that found on Earth.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              I don't think they are alien craft. I think they are unidentified objects. Thus UAP/UFO. What people see could be anything from natural phenomena to illusions/delusions, to misidentifying normal aircraft, to seeing secret experimental crafts, or even hoaxes.

Whether there really are intelligent life forms out there I don't know. I don't think they have come here though. And if they do exist, it doesn't affect my faith. I trust God will take care of them too.

Although I have heard some Christians claim that perhaps the whole UFO thing could be a deception by Satan. Not sure I buy that though. Seems a little out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I don't think they are alien craft. I think they are unidentified objects. Thus UAP/UFO. What people see could be anything from natural phenomena to illusions/delusions, to misidentifying normal aircraft, to seeing secret experimental crafts, or even hoaxes.

Whether there really are intelligent life forms out there I don't know. I don't think they have come here though. And if they do exist, it doesn't affect my faith. I trust God will take care of them too.

Although I have heard some Christians claim that perhaps the whole UFO thing could be a deception by Satan. Not sure I buy that though. Seems a little out there.
                I have thought for many years that what people are seeing could be angels or demons going about their business in the heavens. But I have nothing to base that idea on except the passage in Revelation 12 about the angels and demons warring. Since I'm a futurist, however, I believe that refers to future events.

But those creatures still have business to conduct that we know nothing about.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

There are a lot of reasons for that claim in the last sentence. There is a whole host of occult practices among those who are "true believers" that UFOs are extraterrestrials. Things like automatic writing, channeling, seances, and more. Even certain atheists have noticed the correlation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      A friend of mine when he first got saved listened to nothing but gospel music and tried to convince himself that he liked it because he thought that's what Christians were supposed to listen to. Then someone introduced him to the music of Larry Norman, and he said he felt like he had been saved a second time.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        To be fair, there is nothing in the Bible to suggest that other intelligent beings (besides angels and demons) do not exist elsewhere in the universe, so if it were ever definitively proven that little green men had visited Earth, it would have zero impact on Christian theology since Biblical history culminating in Jesus' death and resurrection would still be true.
                        How do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I love it when the UFO crew tries to point out that the "other sheep" Jesus mentioned were aliens from other planets.

Scripture Verse: John 10:16

“And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.”

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd be curious as to what whag sees as some of the problems alien life would pose for Christianity. Aside from the one I mentioned above (which imo isn't really a problem at all) I can't think of any.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I love it when the UFO crew tries to point out that the "other sheep" Jesus mentioned were aliens from other planets.

Scripture Verse: John 10:16

“And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.”

I wonder what you think of the idea that Jesus created life giving planets out there with, what could be considered to be, other flocks?

Comment