Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do Christian infants get to Heaven? Do all infants get to Heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

But would Calvin's belief be correct?
    I don't believe the issue is either clearly judicable nor that significant to warrant disbelief. I would probably lean on the side of Calvin being incorrect due to things such as God allowing the ignorant children of the rebellious Israelites to enter into the Promised Land in Deuteronomy 1:39.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I don't believe the issue is either clearly judicable nor that significant to warrant disbelief. I would probably lean on the side of Calvin being incorrect due to things such as God allowing the ignorant children of the rebellious Israelites to enter into the Promised Land in Deuteronomy 1:39.
      You appear remarkably confident in the historicity of that text. Given your areligious position, do you never question these texts?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You appear remarkably confident in the historicity of that text. Given your areligious position, do you never question these texts?
        Given that the question of infant salvation assumes the biblical text, the historicity of the text is irrelevant to the question. The text is also not the sole reason I would likley side against Calvin on this point and I also stated "I don't believe the issue is either clearly judicable nor that significant to warrant disbelief." The issue of infant salvation is not that important in the grand scheme of Christianity. If Calvin would be correct, then what of it? Deus vult!
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Typically the "age of accountability" is brought into the consideration regarding infant death and salvation. That is rather rudimentary point of discussion regarding the topic of infants going to heaven.
          It would be useful if you could show where Jesus mentioned 'age of accountability' regarding infant death and salvation?

Neither salvation nor grace are license to sin. Again, a rather rudimentary point you seem not to grasp.
          Please could you show where Jesus mentioned anything about 'Neither salvation nor grace are license to sin' ?

Fortunately, God is not subject to your concept of who deserves admission into Heaven. In themselves, works are not redemptory, again, this is rudimentary.
          Christian ideas about admission to Heaven seem to vary...... by predestination, by grace, by good works..... and maybe others......

Why do you think deserves admission to Heaven? .Is your God subject to your concepts about this?

Comment

The one as described in the Orthodox Tewahedo biblical canon and by the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, obviously.
            Does that publication make mention of what Jesus said and did?

Comment

Obviously. Calvin would simply say non-elect infants would not go to Heaven.
              So far I haven't read any post which clearly tells that any infants would gain entry to heaven.

Comment

The issue of infant salvation is not that important in the grand scheme of Christianity.
                But you don't know what to believe about Christianity...correct?

And so I would need to read such a claim written by the many Christian churches out there, and denominations.

Your opinions can't speak for Christianity, can they?

Comment

Given that the question of infant salvation assumes the biblical text, the historicity of the text is irrelevant to the question. The text is also not the sole reason I would likley side against Calvin on this point and I also stated "I don't believe the issue is either clearly judicable nor that significant to warrant disbelief." The issue of infant salvation is not that important in the grand scheme of Christianity. If Calvin would be correct, then what of it? Deus vult!
                  What specific bible text makes reference to infant baptism? And as you have noted, does any of it really matter?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
                    Please could you show where Jesus mentioned anything about 'Neither salvation nor grace are license to sin' ?
                    Matt 5:20 (note that the scribes and pharisees in context are the good ones: it makes no sense to set "the lowest of the low" as the benchmark. The audience as a whole (which is to say: there would be exceptions), also would have held scribes and pharisees in high regard, and interpreted the statement according to that understanding. A couple of paragraphs (at least) would probably be needed to provide proper detail.

Matthew 7: 22-23. Most of the references where Jesus addresses the issue are couched in parable.

There are also scattered references throughout the New Testament: Acts 10:34-35 for example.

Christian ideas about admission to Heaven seem to vary...... by predestination, by grace, by good works..... and maybe others......
                    Predestined only means you have bought the ticket: you're not even on the plane yet. Grace is extended to those who do what is right (Acts 10:34-35). Good works are useful, but by themselves not enough to secure salvation; likewise belief.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 05-21-2023, 03:41 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What specific bible text makes reference to infant baptism?
                      Baptism per se isn't salvific, for infants or adults.

And as you have noted, does any of it really matter?
                      When I said it wasn't important in the grand scheme of things, I meant that within Christianity, infant salvation is not high in doctrinal importance.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

In forming my view of Christianity, I don't particularly care what ideas Christians have but rather what best conforms to the Bible (including arguments for which canon to be used). Works obviously aren't salvific but are rather fruit of the Holy Spirit. I do think that predestination is biblical but I don't believe humans can know who are among those predestined.

Why do you think deserves admission to Heaven? .Is your God subject to your concepts about this?
                        Quite obviously God would not be beholden to any of my opinions. The idea of Heaven being some kind of reward for a life on Earth and therefore could be earned or deserved is quite erroneous in regard to Christianity and, in a more general sense, mostly an existential coping mechanism.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Works obviously aren't salvific but are rather fruit of the Holy Spirit.
                          On the face of it, the claim seems unlikely - what grounds do you see as being persuasive?

I do think that predestination is biblical but I don't believe humans can know who are among those predestined.
                          Near as I can tell, in very broad brushstrokes only, those who do not believe are pre-destined for not-heaven (just in case there is more than one option), those who believe are pre-destined for heaven. Members of either group are free to change their bookings.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

On the face of it, the claim seems unlikely - what grounds do you see as being persuasive?
                            It's unlikely that works aren't salvific?

Near as I can tell, in very broad brushstrokes only, those who do not believe are pre-destined for not-heaven (just in case there is more than one option), those who believe are pre-destined for heaven. Members of either group are free to change their bookings.

I'm more of a Calvinist persuasion that those who will be saved is already determined and that, by extension, those who will not be saved is already determined.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It's unlikely that works aren't salvific?
                              Definitely.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Baptism per se isn't salvific, for infants or adults.

When I said it wasn't important in the grand scheme of things, I meant that within Christianity, infant salvation is not high in doctrinal importance.
                                Baptism was the means of initiation into Paul's religion.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment