Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post
    So who do you think is a real Christian and who is not?
    A real Christian is anybody who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believes in his heart that God raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9).
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

A real Christian is anybody who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believes in his heart that God raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9).
      So it was Paul who defined what a Christian is......... I've always known that it was nothing to do with anything Jesus said.
      Let's have a look at that:-
      Rom 10:9 NIV - 9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

How strange! ..... whenever did Jesus say he was a Lord?

Comment

So it was Paul who defined what a Christian is......... I've always known that it was nothing to do with anything Jesus said.
        Rom 10:9 NIV - 9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Matthew 7:22
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Right, based on the skeptical idiocy that Jesus and Paul were preaching different messages.

Romans 10:9 simply echoes John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Matthew 7:22
            That was not Jesus calling himself a Lord, it was his description of people who he despised.

Comment

Right, based on the skeptical idiocy that Jesus and Paul were preaching different messages.
              That's right...... all skeptics must be idiots....... but you.... you brilliant mind, you.

Romans 10:9 simply echoes John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."
              That's it, quote Paul, who never wrote a line about anything that Jesus said or did, save for a last meal and hours. And John, the author/s which claimed to have been the boatman and disciple.

Comment

That was not Jesus calling himself a Lord, it was his description of people who he despised.
                Try Mark 11:3 or Mark 12:37

No doubt you will find a problem with 12:37 - it will be interesting to see what objection you might raise to 11:3
                It is also interesting to see how often the disciples and others addressed him as "lord," and even more often referred to him as lord.
                Last edited by tabibito; 01-20-2023, 08:15 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Try Mark 11:3 or Mark 12:37

No doubt you will find a problem with 12:37 - it will be interesting to see what objection you might raise to 11:3
                  OK, let's look at 11.1-3

Mark:- {11:1} And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples, {11:2} And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring [him. ]{11:3} And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.

For a start I think the 'colt story is trying to fulfill a prophesy, so I would bin it out of hand...... I don't believe it happened.
                  There is no way that Jesus thought of himself as a Lord, nor would he have taken such a position if it had been offered to him.

Comment

That's right...... all skeptics must be idiots....... but you.... you brilliant mind, you.

That's it, quote Paul, who never wrote a line about anything that Jesus said or did, save for a last meal and hours. And John, the author/s which claimed to have been the boatman and disciple.
                    John 3:16 is quoting Jesus' own words, you dumbass, and as tabibito has schooled you, Jesus did, on multiple occasions, refer to himself as Lord. Therefore, Romans 10:9 is simply reiterating Jesus' own teachings.

Comment

OK, let's look at 11.1-3

Mark:- {11:1} And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples, {11:2} And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring [him. ]{11:3} And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.

For a start I think the 'colt story is trying to fulfill a prophesy, so I would bin it out of hand...... I don't believe it happened.
                      There is no way that Jesus thought of himself as a Lord, nor would he have taken such a position if it had been offered to him.
                      Oh my - do you think that being called lord was something significant in Koine Greek? Really?

The word had no more significance in Koine Greek than it does (or did, rather) in English - Pretty much anyone of higher status could be addressed as lord. Think of the butler addressing his employer, the hotel proprietor addressing a valued client.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• John tells us in his gospel that the reason he wrote was twofold
                        A) that you may know that Jesus is the Christ
                        2) that in Him you may find life
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

John 3:16 is quoting Jesus' own words, you dumbass, and as tabibito has schooled you, Jesus did, on multiple occasions, refer to himself as Lord. Therefore, Romans 10:9 is simply reiterating Jesus' own teachings.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Right, anything in the Bible that disproves your preferred narrative, you "bin it out of hand".

And you wonder why I refer to your arguments as skeptical idiocy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Vacuous mockery is not an argument.

Perhaps you could trouble yourself to show how Romans 10:9 is inconsistent with Jesus' teachings?

Comment

Vacuous mockery is not an argument.

Perhaps you could trouble yourself to show how Romans 10:9 is inconsistent with Jesus' teachings?
                                Write nonsense and expect to be mocked.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment