Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Incredibly so. Just like you.

Both of you tend to make these assertions without backing them up (kind of a thing with you ), or in H_A's case, occasionally trying to support it by posting someone else asserting their opinion without backing it up.

I noted previously how this nonsense has been largely flushed from academia as more evidence has come forth that has put this notion in severe doubt. Maybe you can offer up some papers (not internet articles or popular press books), where scholars are still even debating this.

You appear to consider that Christianity was formed in a cultural vacuum.

And of course not one single academic source is provided in support of this [as usual] sweeping pronouncement:

this nonsense has been largely flushed from academia as more evidence has come forth that has put this notion in severe doubt.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Both of you tend to make these assertions without backing them up (kind of a thing with you ), or in H_A's case, occasionally trying to support it by posting someone else asserting their opinion without backing it up.

I noted previously how this nonsense has been largely flushed from academia as more evidence has come forth that has put this notion in severe doubt. Maybe you can offer up some papers (not internet articles or popular press books), where scholars are still even debating this.

The hilarious thing is that the Paul letter's necessitate an already established Christian community. Some kind of Christian doctrine had to have preexisted Paul and been in circulation.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The hilarious thing is that the Paul letter's necessitate an already established Christian community. Some kind of Christian doctrine had to have preexisted Paul and been in circulation.
        Paul's [deemed authentic] letters are to the communities he established and all those communities are some distance from Jerusalem.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Paul's [deemed authentic] letters are to the communities he established and all those communities are some distance from Jerusalem.
          So the communities existed before the letters we have. How did Paul establish these communities before the letters?
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Really? He had never been to Rome when he wrote the letter to the Romans, and IIRC there is one other letter written to a congregation that Paul had not founded.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So the communities existed before the letters we have. How did Paul establish these communities before the letters?
              He went to those places with his gospel.

We do not have the complete correspondence.

I Corinthians appears to be a reply to a [now lost] letter [or some other missive] that had been sent to Paul and Galatians is a warning to his proselytes against backsliding and false teachers along with a distinct animus towards the leaders in Jerusalem.

He is also somewhat emphatic in chapter one where he states, "In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!"

What prompted that?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Could it be that he presented the gospel, and his credentials as an apostle? Surely not.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He went to those places with his gospel.

We do not have the complete correspondence.

I Corinthians appears to be a reply to a [now lost] letter [or some other missive] that had been sent to Paul and Galatians is a warning to his proselytes against backsliding and false teachers along with a distinct animus towards the leaders in Jerusalem.
                  Yet again? It has been explained to you before that your interpretation that there was animus is flawed, and the evidence of how and why your reading is flawed was presented.

He is also somewhat emphatic in chapter one where he states, "In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!"

What prompted that?
                  Sounds like someone was calling him a liar.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yet again? It has been explained to you before that your interpretation that there was animus is flawed,
                    Your interpretation is no more valid than my own.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Sounds like someone was calling him a liar.
                    I wonder why?

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your interpretation is no more valid than my own.
                      Mine is based on the evidence available from the scripture, which is to say, the worst that can be said is that I affirm what is written. You, by contrast, have to deny what is written, not just the veracity of the account, but the very existence of the account itself.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Mine is based on the evidence available from the scripture, which is to say, the worst that can be said is that I affirm what is written. You, by contrast, have to deny what is written, not just the veracity of the account, but the very existence of the account itself.

Oh I keep forgetting that your "truth" is superior and it trumps anything that challenges it!
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh I keep forgetting that your "truth" is superior and it trumps anything that challenges it!
                          Your tells are showing.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

With regard to how much comes from Jesus - we can never precisely know. The gospel accounts are all written later and were intended to preach and teach the Christian beliefs of their respective communities.

However the Synoptics [particularly Mark] do offer us glimpses of a real Jewish charismatic teacher and healer who believed the kingdom of God was imminent and who urged his fellow Jews to repent.

We also need to remember the great debt owned to Hellenism by early Christianity.
                            Well, yes. I reckon that G-Mark is the real account, once sieved of it's additions.
                            And yes, of I believe that Hellenism did indeed contribute much to Christianity.
                            And the Northern cultures contributed as well.

I've started the thread and so am most interested to discover more about this.

Comment

You use 'incredibly' there?

Both of you tend to make these assertions without backing them up (kind of a thing with you ),
                              Really? Why do you think I have posted up a thread on this very subject?

[/QUOTE]

Comment

I am not the one who wrote:

I am still waiting for you to provide some quotes from me to substantiate those remarks
                                Look through your posts over the past week and...

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                I have suggested some reading material for you. I suggest you inform yourself.
                                Why should I bother? MM will simply ignore what I write [as he did my last reply] because he is completely entrenched in his preconceived opinions.
                                As I have just commented, why should I bother? You will simply ignore whatever I write because you are entrenched in your preconceived opinions and beliefs.
                                Given that your question has nothing to do with this thread, why are you repeatedly posting it?
                                Aside from that

I have given my reasons in the past and feel no need to repeat them
                                I simply cannot be bothered with you and your tiresome behaviour.
                                Do not give me orders.
                                I am refusing to be diverted by you down a totally irrelevant path.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment