Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Not sure what you're asking, or why.
    The fact that you're capitalizing it suggests more than something like "the spirit of man".
    I believe in angels and demons, and the Holy Spirit which is also called the Holy Ghost.

Good Spirits can be found on top shelf in almost any pub.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The Day of the Dead, All saints Day and All souls Day are actually various celebrated as the same.

Source: https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/what-difference-between-day-dead-all-saints-day-all-souls-day-1589266

As Halloween draws to a close for another year, many cultures around the world are still marking the days of the dead – the Day of the Dead and All Souls' Day. But what are they and where did they come from?

What is the Day of the Dead Dia de los Muertos?

The Day of the Dead is marked in Latin countries to honour the souls of the dead. It is a national holiday in some countries, marked on 2 November, and it is widely celebrated in Mexico where the holiday originated. In 2008, the celebration was marked as a major cultural tradition by UNESCO.

The celebration can be traced back thousands of years to pre-Columbian rituals to remember the deceased, as well as an Aztec festival. Before Spanish colonisation in the 16th century, it was celebrated at the beginning of summer, but gradually became incorporated into the Christian celebrations of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.

© Copyright Original Source

Most if not all our holidays and celebrations evolved over time from pagan (?) origins, and celebrated in contemporary religions.
      You have Halloween on the 31st of October, All Saint's Day on November 1st and Dia de los Muertos on November 2nd.

I suspect H_A will be along shortly to claim that Christians stole the idea for All Saint's Day from the indigenous people of North and South America.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You have Halloween on the 31st of October, All Saint's Day on November 1st and Dia de los Muertos on November 2nd.

I suspect H_A will be along shortly to claim that Christians stole the idea for All Saint's Day from the indigenous people of North and South America.
        Some of the posts in this thread remind me of this

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Day of the Dead, All saints Day and All souls Day are actually various celebrated as the same.

Source: https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/what-difference-between-day-dead-all-saints-day-all-souls-day-1589266

As Halloween draws to a close for another year, many cultures around the world are still marking the days of the dead – the Day of the Dead and All Souls' Day. But what are they and where did they come from?

The Day of the Dead is marked in Latin countries to honour the souls of the dead. It is a national holiday in some countries, marked on 2 November, and it is widely celebrated in Mexico where the holiday originated. In 2008, the celebration was marked as a major cultural tradition by UNESCO.

The celebration can be traced back thousands of years to pre-Columbian rituals to remember the deceased, as well as an Aztec festival. Before Spanish colonisation in the 16th century, it was celebrated at the beginning of summer, but gradually became incorporated into the Christian celebrations of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.

Most if not all our holidays and celebrations evolved over time from pagan (?) origins, and celebrated in contemporary religions.
          In short - days and festivals in honour of the dead can be found in cultures all around the world, from the Aztecs to the Japanese to the Egyptians. It's a custom deriving more from human existence than from a religious rite, pagan or otherwise.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Those are the BETTER Spirits!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Those are the BETTER Spirits!
              Quite correct. My bad.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Quite correct. My bad.
                Not that I would know from personal experience.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post

Hi, I'm not sure whether you are actually interested or not but I looked up a good link to give you all about Spiritualism:

https://www.gotquestions.org/spiritualism.html
                    I looked through and as soon as I saw this:-
                    Like Christians, spiritualists believe in a single God
                    .... I stopped reading closely. Most Christians are not Unitarian.

And the only quote about what Jesus said had nothing to do with spirits.

Well therein probably lies the answer. Women should not be in leadership or hold titles!
                    Well maybe you should not, but in the UK we have scores of female priests, vicars and some bishops.

And you know of many men who have disgraced themselves with such talk/actions.

(Baby Christians are made up of those new to the faith or even those who have been Christians for decades and remain in a state of infancy and continue to make a mess).
                    Yet another human construct and absolutely nothing to do with anything that Jesus said.
                    Another Abrahamic Prophet told the world that a person could search at truth all their lives and find none, whereas 'new blood' might find it in a split second.

Comment

Luke 9:1 , Luke 10:17-20 Nothing more than the barest hint of instruction and information.
                      Nothing there:-
                      Luke {9:1} Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
                      Luke {10:17} And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. {10:18} And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. {10:19} Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. {10:20} Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

No..... No instructions from Jesus at all...... I don't this 'No Spiritualists' rule is from Jesus.

But the greatest problem with spiritualism (and prayer to saints) is that it provides an alternative to God's spiritual guidance.
                      The idea is for a believer to look to people (as in living human beings with a functioning body) who are spiritual for guidance until the said believer becomes spiritual himself. Spirit guides? Saints? At best, of no benefit to a person who is entitled to directly approach God.
                      As to the woman who spoke against spirituality - men are no less likely to react in the same fashion. Without knowing the circumstances, saying more than that she has forgotten where she came from, without knowing what negative circumstances (if any) might have played a part in her response ... no.
                      Yes.... and she got Halloween wrong as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Forgot about that one.

The movie is Spectre and it's celebrating their Day of the Dead in what looks like Mexico City.

Daniel Craig is my second favorite Bond. For someone who read the books as a kid, Bond is not some smarmy playboy but rather a shark.
                        Hear hear....... I like the Spectre Q as well, and the MoneyPenny. M seemed a bit weak though after that tough Lady.

Comment

Very good research. If the pagan origins would be stripped away, and the superstitions, and the other additions, one might actually see something of the real Jesus.

Comment

Not sure what you're asking, or why.
                            The fact that you're capitalizing it suggests more than something like "the spirit of man".
                            I believe in angels and demons, and the Holy Spirit which is also called the Holy Ghost.
                            Spiritualists try to contact spirits, or Spirits, doesn't make any difference to me.
                            Those who believe in demons yet can't believe in spirits.....seem strange to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Spiritualists try to contact spirits, or Spirits, doesn't make any difference to me.
                              Those who believe in demons yet can't believe in spirits.....seem strange to me.
                              Ah, OK.
                              I believe in angels and demons.
                              Demons are, basically, disembodied spirits.
                              You never find an angel trying to take over a human (or animal) body, but demons do.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Who wrote that piece? A Christian, by any chance?
                                Rogue has a bit of a thing about the origins of Christmas.

You will see from his reply that there is not a single reference to any academics. Only Church Fathers and a note with no reference whatsoever!
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment