Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    [box][

So much for the marauding Roman armies being a threat to Nazareth; hilltop communities being of greater interest, as were larger towns generally.
    Oh dear!
    Nazareth, like Cana and the other hilltops around Sepphoris, was a walk away, and pillaging Roman soldiers looking for anything of value would have come to all of them. The soldiers themselves would have made for any worthless little places for the women. Pillaging, looting and raping.......

And if you had lived on anyn of those hills at that time with a family you would have legged it for your life.......which is why the place was probably empty before Romans got there and certainly empty after they had left.

There is a Bethlehem about 10 miles to the East North East of Nazareth and I wonder whether Joseph had evacuated to there......who knows? He certainly didn't need to go to Judea for the purpose of a tax census!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Researchers "suggest" because being scientists they understand that they cannot ever "prove" things no matter how much evidence for it. It's the nature of science itself.

But it's nice you finally understand that Nazareth was an out of the way location that you essentially had to look for to find. That is yet more evidence that it was not sitting high atop a hill, as you continue to hallucinate, where it could be easily seen from a distance.
      You keep your family down in that low lying bowl, rogue.......... the survivors will go up to the top!
      You could scan your bowl from your tower down there!

I wonder if archeologists have searched the two Cana hilltops, Yafia or Simonias? That's worth researching, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You seem to be making this rather personal, including silly personal attacks against others.
        I really don't care about your obsession with this, or your attitude concerning it.

Unsubscribing.
        OK.
        But I have never called anybody else names, like 'weird', nor have I commented upon them with others in the third person.
        Last edited by eider; 02-07-2023, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
          Wrong. Cana 1 was the nearest community to Nazareth.
          I did write that with misgivings ... checking ... According to Robin Ngo in Bible History Daily, Cana is nine miles from Nazareth - that is quite a bit more distant than Sepphoris.

Wrong. Sepphoris was razed to rubble, nothing...by the Romans, until Antipas had rebuilt the place.
          Archaeological findings indicate that Sepphoris, though devastated, was not completely razed. Josephus, it seems, engaged in a bit of hyperbole.

The only reason for so many working peasants to be placing their families on hilltop communities in the area was the massive amount of work that Antipas created with his rebuilding program.
          Who needed to be on those hilltops otherwise? Shepherds is about all.
          The findings of adjacent agricultural sites (alone and all by themselves) would tend to disallow that.

Last edited by tabibito; 02-07-2023, 01:52 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You keep your family down in that low lying bowl, rogue.......... the survivors will go up to the top!
            You could scan your bowl from your tower down there!

I wonder if archeologists have searched the two Cana hilltops, Yafia or Simonias? That's worth researching, I think.
            And be a ripe target for any Roman soldiers who will quickly surround your hill, march up the side and leave nobody alive at the top. Congratulations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I did write that with misgivings ... checking ... According to Robin Ngo in Bible History Daily, Cana is nine miles from Nazareth - that is quite a bit more distant than Sepphoris.
              My source places it considerably closer at something like 6.08km (3.78 mi) away. That's still a bit further than Sepphoris which was approximately 5km (3.1 mi).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Robin Ngo must have talking about about the Cana about 5 miles to the North of Sepphoris.
                What about the Cana just to the West of Nazareth?

There are two positions for Cana.

Sepphoris was razed to the ground before the Romans left, and every captive male over 15 was crucified.

Comment

And be a ripe target for any Roman soldiers who will quickly surround your hill, march up the side and leave nobody alive at the top. Congratulations.
                  They were long gone...... Nazareth, the two Canas and the other Hilltops would have been deserted, actually.

You still haven't got it........ travelling peasants such as those that came to work on the rebuilding of Sepphoris brought tents with them. They didn't need or bother to build your neat little houses.
                  Only the shepherd families would have built their homes, and that is why there are hardly any remains of buildings from the 1st century.
                  Lots happened in the following 2000 years and this must have confused you.

Comment

My source places it considerably closer at something like 6.08km (3.78 mi) away. That's still a bit further than Sepphoris which was approximately 5km (3.1 mi).
                    There are two Canas........... your one and tabibito's one.

Comment

Robin Ngo must have talking about about the Cana about 5 miles to the North of Sepphoris.
                      What about the Cana just to the West of Nazareth?

There are two positions for Cana.

Sepphoris was razed to the ground before the Romans left, and every captive male over 15 was crucified.
                      Archaeologists have to date found no destruction layer commensurate with razing the city to the ground.

https://www.seetheholyland.net/sepphoris/

Sepphoris has worn many names during its history.

It was Zippori (or Tzippori) when Herod the Great captured it during a snowstorm in 37 BC. After Herod’s death in 4 BC the Roman army put down a rebellion of Jewish rebels by destroying the city and selling many of its people into slavery.

Not that any of that is relevant - whether Sepphoris was destroyed or all but destroyed (in the normal course, Koine Greek won't make the distinction) has no bearing on its relationship (or lack thereof) with Nazareth some ten years or so later.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

They were long gone...... Nazareth, the two Canas and the other Hilltops would have been deserted, actually.

You still haven't got it........ travelling peasants such as those that came to work on the rebuilding of Sepphoris brought tents with them. They didn't need or bother to build your neat little houses.
                        Only the shepherd families would have built their homes, and that is why there are hardly any remains of buildings from the 1st century.
                        Lots happened in the following 2000 years and this must have confused you.
                        The peasants living in permanent structures in the surrounding villages like Nazareth would have no need to move into tents. They'd walk to work in the morning and go back home in the evening.

Comment

The peasants living in permanent structures in the surrounding villages like Nazareth would have no need to move into tents. They'd walk to work in the morning and go back home in the evening.
                          Oh please! The people living on Nazareth in the first years of the first century lived on the hilltop! It was safer!

Luke 4:29 They got up, drove Him out of the town, and led ...

Bible Hub
                          https://biblehub.com › luke
                          Their city was built on a hill with a cliff. So they got up, forced Jesus out of the city, and led him to the cliff. They intended to throw him off of it.

Look, it's on Bible Hub!

Comment

Oh please! The people living on Nazareth in the first years of the first century lived on the hilltop! It was safer!

Luke 4:29 They got up, drove Him out of the town, and led ...

Bible Hub
                            https://biblehub.com › luke
                            Their city was built on a hill with a cliff. So they got up, forced Jesus out of the city, and led him to the cliff. They intended to throw him off of it.

Look, it's on Bible Hub!
                            ったく. The cliff wasn't in the town, and the text doesn't state what direction they took when they left the town. There is no reason to believe that anything was built on the hilltop, nor any reason to believe that the residents of the town would have erected tents on the hilltop.

Bart Ehrman. Did Jesus exist, 195

Many compelling pieces of archaeological evidence indicate that in fact Nazareth did exist in Jesus’s day and that, like other towns and villages in that part of Galilee, it was built on the hillside, near where the later rock-cut kokh tombs were built.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

ったく. The cliff wasn't in the town, and the text doesn't state what direction they took when they left the town. There is no reason to believe that anything was built on the hilltop, nor any reason to believe that the residents of the town would have erected tents on the hilltop.

Bart Ehrman. Did Jesus exist, 195

Many compelling pieces of archaeological evidence indicate that in fact Nazareth did exist in Jesus’s day and that, like other towns and villages in that part of Galilee, it was built on the hillside, near where the later rock-cut kokh tombs were built.
                              Looks like we can add Ehrman to the list of those describing the location of Nazareth as not being on a hill top, but in a valley or basin on the side of a hill.

Funny how eider cannot find anyone supporting his own unique notion that it was on top of a hill -- and consisted of tents.

Comment

Looks like we can add Ehrman to the list of those describing the location of Nazareth as not being on a hill top, but in a valley or basin on the side of a hill.

Funny how eider cannot find anyone supporting his own unique notion that it was on top of a hill -- and consisted of tents.
                                And to the list of not-on-a-hilltop towns, Cana can be added.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment