Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Reflections on Rational Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

How is it known that it has memories of it's caterpillar life? It's a warm idea though...this soulical caterpillar soup.
    Apparently the butterfly knows where to find the places that the caterpillar had been. I don't know how the researchers made the actual observations, but I'll assume that they were honest.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Apparently the butterfly knows where to find the places that the caterpillar had been. I don't know how the researchers made the actual observations, but I'll assume that they were honest.
      I have a vague memory of someone taking some kind of primitive worms, grinding them up and feeding them to other worms of the same species that then started behaving in ways that suggested that the behavior had been transferred from the original worms. I haven't seen anything about it since, so maybe the findings were debunked. Anyone know anything about that?

As far as your birds are concerned, you don't have anything like enough data, but it would be interesting to do some arithmetic to see if the observed behavior fits the idea of an inherited characteristic. Say, if of two original parents one was more likely to approach you, then you might expect half their offspring to exhibit it, then a quarter of their offspring and so on. (Too many assumptions in there, but if we could get much more general data ...?)

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

I have a vague memory of someone taking some kind of primitive worms, grinding them up and feeding them to other worms of the same species that then started behaving in ways that suggested that the behavior had been transferred from the original worms.
        I've heard of heart transplant recipients experiencing memories of the donor.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

I have a vague memory of someone taking some kind of primitive worms, grinding them up and feeding them to other worms of the same species that then started behaving in ways that suggested that the behavior had been transferred from the original worms. I haven't seen anything about it since, so maybe the findings were debunked. Anyone know anything about that?

As far as your birds are concerned, you don't have anything like enough data, but it would be interesting to do some arithmetic to see if the observed behavior fits the idea of an inherited characteristic. Say, if of two original parents one was more likely to approach you, then you might expect half their offspring to exhibit it, then a quarter of their offspring and so on. (Too many assumptions in there, but if we could get much more general data ...?)
          Yes - way too small a sample group as a basis for a theory, but enough to develop a hypothesis worth pursuing - if I had that much interest in ornithology. Mudlark pairs stay in home territory and don't tolerate intrusion by other mudlarks (not even their own young a few weeks after they leave the nest at the earliest, or until the next nesting season at the latest) so they don't make ideal test subjects for succeeding generations.

The butterfly thingy proves to be a bust - apparently the brain stuctures (for some weird reason, called "mushroom bodies") aren't dissolved along with the body after all.
          Last edited by tabibito; 04-16-2022, 02:07 PM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The butterfly thingy proves to be a bust - apparently the brain stuctures (for some weird reason, called "mushroom bodies") aren't dissolved along with the body after all.

That's a bummer. The thought of butterflies remembering their caterpillar existence made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Comment

That's a bummer. The thought of butterflies remembering their caterpillar existence made me feel warm and fuzzy.
              They do remember - but (what serves as) the brain isn't dissolved with the body. It seems that later experiments found things that the early experiments missed. (not particularly unusual).
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

They do remember - but (what serves as) the brain isn't dissolved with the body. It seems that later experiments found things that the early experiments missed. (not particularly unusual).
                That dang brain! Why does it always have to be a brain?

Comment

One of my favorite cartoons from years gone by. Two caterpillars are sitting on a leaf watching a butterfly go by. One says to the other, "You'll never get me up in one of those things!"

Comment

Interesting discussion:

Asking A Theoretical Physicist About The Physics Of Consciousness | Roger Penrose & Jordan Peterson

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Interesting discussion:

Asking A Theoretical Physicist About The Physics Of Consciousness | Roger Penrose & Jordan Peterson

That was a very complex conversation these two had. It looked like Penrose needed some Tylenol.

Consciousness is non-computational simply means non-deterministic, or non-mechanistic, right?

Comment

That was a very complex conversation these two had. It looked like Penrose needed some Tylenol.

Consciousness is non-computational simply means non-deterministic, or non-mechanistic, right?
                        Yes I think that is what he was getting at - I have to watch it again. Non-mechanistic means not deterministic, which brings into question materialism.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yes I think that is what he was getting at - I have to watch it again. Non-mechanistic means not deterministic, which brings into question materialism.
                          A question here...just something to ponder... and you may wonder what my precise definitions are here because at face value it seems too simple of a question:

Is consciousness rational?

Comment

A question here...just something to ponder... and you may wonder what my precise definitions are here because at face value it seems too simple of a question:

Is consciousness rational?
                            I would say that consciousness is the only avenue to rationality (i.e. to conceptual reasoning) - but I'm not sure if that is what you are asking...

Comment

I would say that consciousness is the only avenue to rationality (i.e. to conceptual reasoning) - but I'm not sure if that is what you are asking...
                              If consciousness is non-computational, then is it non-rational?

Comment

If consciousness is non-computational, then is it non-rational?
                                The non-computational thing, I think, was about it not being mechanical or deterministic, not about rationality in general. I'm going to watch it again today...

Comment