Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Problem Of Evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post

But you biology was created by the forces of nature - everything you think do or say was, at bottom, dictated by those forces.
    What's your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

What's your point?
      That you are a puppet and your strings are being pulled by the forces of nature. Dumb, banal, superfluous forces.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That you are a puppet and your strings are being pulled by the forces of nature. Dumb, banal, superfluous forces.
        Not just me; all of us.

But you make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Comment

Not just me; all of us.
          No, I believe in free will. You know, real free will.

But you make it sound like that's a bad thing.
          I find it interesting - these forces that don't care about you or your survival caused you to care about both. How does that happen?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

If what you mean by "real free will" is libertarian free will, I strongly doubt that it exists. I don't even think it makes sense as a concept.

I find it interesting - these forces that don't care about you or your survival caused you to care about both. How does that happen?
            I think we've discussed that often enough that we're not likely to make any more headway on the topic. In short, evolution can produce beings who care about themselves and their survival, even without forces that care about those beings or their survival.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              He create me with full knowledge of everything I would freely choose to do. He didn't make me do it.
              How could you “freely choose” when there is nothing of which an omniscient deity is unaware including ALL the choices you will ever make. If you did NOT “do it” then God is not omniscient.

You still haven't explained how knowing what I will do means I didn't do it of my own free will.
              Your creator God has not only eternally known what you were going to do – long before you existed - he also created you in the full knowledge of every decision you would ever make. In short, you were predestined to make the decisions you make and your ‘freewill’ is an illusion.

Comment

“Real freewill” (i.e. libertarian freewill) doesn’t exist. We are creatures of our genetic make-up and social conditioning. We take our decisions either deterministically or randomly – but not completely freely.

It happened via biology and natural selection, not theology.

Comment

If what you mean by "real free will" is libertarian free will, I strongly doubt that it exists. I don't even think it makes sense as a concept.
                  Except we actually see that in our daily lives. I can choose to not pick my nose or to pick my nose. As far as I can tell my mind is free to make these choices.

I think we've discussed that often enough that we're not likely to make any more headway on the topic. In short, evolution can produce beings who care about themselves and their survival, even without forces that care about those beings or their survival.
                  There is a serious disconnect here, I can't put my finger on it, but some day I will figure it out and change the world?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

“Real freewill” (i.e. libertarian freewill) doesn’t exist. We are creatures of our genetic make-up and social conditioning. We take our decisions either deterministically or randomly – but not completely freely.
                    So you were determined to say the above - whether right or wrong, true or not.

Comment

So you were determined to say the above - whether right or wrong, true or not.
                      Yep - It seems kind of strange to criticise a person for believing what they were predetermined to believe anyway ... oh ... the criticising would be predetermined too.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yep - It seems kind of strange to criticise a person for believing what they were predetermined to believe anyway ... oh ... the criticising would be predetermined too.
                        And it seems to undermine all rationality...

Comment

Except we actually see that in our daily lives. I can choose to not pick my nose or to pick my nose. As far as I can tell my mind is free to make these choices.
                          That would be true whether or not your actions were completely determined.

Comment

That would be true whether or not your actions were completely determined.
                            What would be true? That it would seem so as far as any one could tell?

Comment

And it seems to undermine all rationality...
                              You're saying that predetermination undermines rationality? That's an interesting line of thought to explore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

You're saying that predetermination undermines rationality? That's an interesting line of thought to explore.
                                Of course it does. Well materialistic determinism would.

Comment