Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What would it take for the atheist to believe in God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'll read your stuff more carefully. Maybe.
    It can often be fragmented and free associative. That is not due to drug use, as I do not use drugs. It's more because of a neurological disorder.

I have good days and bad days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

It can often be fragmented and free associative. That is not due to drug use, as I do not use drugs. It's more because of a neurological disorder.
      I don't have that excuse.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The text doesn't say, and it's not important to the story.
        I know it doesn't and I know it is not. However, you wrote that

He often had others prepare His matters for Him. Is that the best you could do?

And:

"And there were far more disciples than "the 12", and others, like Mary and Martha, who ministered to Him."

None of which is supported by the text of John 21.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

When you can't provide textual evidence for your own assertion?

Not playing.
          I have quoted John 21. You are the one trying to introduce other characters into that text.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            I know it doesn't and I know it is not. However, you wrote that

He often had others prepare His matters for Him. Is that the best you could do?

And:

"And there were far more disciples than "the 12", and others, like Mary and Martha, who ministered to Him."

None of which is supported by the text of John 21.

As much as you would love to restrict the discussion to John 21, the things I mentioned were most certainly included in the New Testament.

The goofy notions up with which you came are not.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As much as you would love to restrict the discussion to John 21, the things I mentioned were most certainly included in the New Testament.
              What things? Cooking breakfast?

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                What things? Cooking breakfast?
                You really are such a dishonest little snit. But, yeah, "breakfast" rather than your goofy "barbie" or your imagined shopping trips.

Comment

You really are such a dishonest little snit. But, yeah, "breakfast" rather than your goofy "barbie" or your imagined shopping trips.
                  When Jesus shopped at Aldi, did he get his quarter for the cart from a fish?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

When Jesus shopped at Aldi, did he get his quarter for the cart from a fish?
                    And did He go through the self-check lane? (Maybe that's why there were no reports of Him on his shopping spree)

Comment

That's pretty much the opposite of what I said
                      No, that's exactly what you said. And the only reason you don't recognise that fact is that, for you, "confessing, or not confessing, doctrine" and "salvation" are real world things that you believe, will materially affect you. No wonder you can't see the piece of christian mummery you and Machinist are bickering over, for what it is.

but you don't seem too terribly concerned about truth.
                      Actually, I do. Your problem is that when you, and most other believers, see the word truth, you always see; TRUTH
                      When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                      - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                      “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Markus River View Post
                        No, that's exactly what you said. And the only reason you don't recognise that fact is that, for you, "confessing, or not confessing, doctrine" and "salvation" are real world things that you believe, will materially affect you. No wonder you can't see the piece of christian mummery you and Machinist are bickering over, for what it is.
                        As much as you'd love to stir up division, Machinist and I aren't bickering over anything - I misread him, admitted it, and apologized.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I may have misunderstood what you wrote in that last message - not sure where you're going with this. And I think I made the mistake of assuming you were not a Christian.

My apologies.

Comment

And did He go through the self-check lane? (Maybe that's why there were no reports of Him on his shopping spree)
                          Maybe he stayed at home and used Door Dash?

Comment

As much as you'd love to stir up division, Machinist and I aren't bickering over anything - I misread him, admitted it, and apologized.

I think I am a Hobbesist.

Comment

As much as you'd love to stir up division
                              Stir up division? Me? Wow! It's as if the Reformation was just a minor disagreement over inconsequential theological points.

Machinist and I aren't bickering over anything - I misread him, admitted it, and apologized.
                              Very big of you. Though it's hard to see how you could have missed that Machinist is a christian. Especially when his profile says; Faith: Christian. But then, I suppose the adherents of the Westboro Baptist Church consider themselves christian as well. I'm not sure how long you would have misread me, had I described myself as such.

Then again, I'm constantly amused at how I have to describe my "faith" here as "atheist". The correct answer is of course "none". I don't require any faith not to believe in the existence of god(s).

When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                              - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                              “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Markus River View Post

Stir up division? Me? Wow! It's as if the Reformation was just a minor disagreement over inconsequential theological points.

Very big of you. Though it's hard to see how you could have missed that Machinist is a christian. Especially when his profile says; Faith: Christian. But then, I suppose the adherents of the Westboro Baptist Church consider themselves christian as well. I'm not sure how long you would have misread me, had I described myself as such.

Then again, I'm constantly amused at how I have to describe my "faith" here as "atheist". The correct answer is of course "none". I don't require any faith not to believe in the existence of god(s).
                                I made an error.
                                I apologized.
                                Nobody is forcing you to post here.

Comment