Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What would it take for the atheist to believe in God?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What would it take for the atheist to believe in God?

    Here is a recent and clever atheist meme...

    "I don't know what it would take to convince me that God exists. But if God does exist, then He would know what it takes to convince me of His existence (and He should also be capable of accomplishing this task)."
    Any thoughts?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    I'm reminded of an old joke about two atheists and a Christian arguing over the existence of God. No matter what argument the Christian brought forth it was dismissed with a handwave and smug quotes from Dawkins and the like. The Christian was growing visibly frustrated and the atheists began mocking him by saying that it was two to one in favor of atheism so he lost.

    Starting to feel discouraged the Christian looked toward the sky and prayed for some sort of inconvertible evidence for God's existence while the two atheist kept laughing that it's "two to one -- you lose."

    Just then, the clouds parted and a celestial visage appeared in the sky and roared "Do not mock my servant for I am God and I exist!"

    Stunned the two atheists turned and looked at each other.

    Finally one turned, and after glancing heavenward, looked at the Christian, shrugged and said, "Fine. It's two to two. A tie."



    I'll be leaving now. No need to get up. I know my way out.
    Last edited by rogue06; 10-12-2021, 07:02 AM. Reason: two not tow

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm reminded of an old joke about two atheists and a Christian arguing over the existence of God. No matter what argument the Christian brought forth it was dismissed with a handwave and smug quotes from Dawkins and the like. The Christian was growing visibly frustrated and the atheists began mocking him by saying that it was two to one in favor of atheism so he lost.

      Starting to feel discouraged the Christian looked toward the sky and prayed for some sort of inconvertible evidence for God's existence while the two atheist kept laughing that it's "two to one -- you lose."

      Just then, the clouds parted and a celestial visage appeared in the sky and roared "Do not mock my servant for I am God and I exist!"

      Stunned the two atheists turned and looked at each other.

      Finally one turned, and after glancing heavenward, looked at the Christian, shrugged and said, "Fine. It's tow to two. A tie."



      I'll be leaving now. No need to get up. I know my way out.
      hehe...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

      Comment


      • #4
        Ask former atheists, that is exactly what happened to them. God doesn't work on our schedules or bow to our demands. And it takes an actual willingness and an open mind in order for that mind to be changed. There are those who don't want to believe there even might be a God. Their hearts are "hardened" )to use bible-jargon.)


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Ask former atheists, that is exactly what happened to them. God doesn't work on our schedules or bow to our demands. And it takes an actual willingness and an open mind in order for that mind to be changed. There are those who don't want to believe there even might be a God. Their hearts are "hardened" )to use bible-jargon.)
          I think the problem with the meme is the assumption that even if God did reveal Himself in an unmistakable way that the man would therefore love and obey Him.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            What good would it do to convince an atheist that there is a God? Even the devils believe.

            You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. (James 2:19, NASB)
            I had mentioned my testimony on occasions, I think even here on this website. I was an atheist in my high school years. I came across several Christian classmates and even started attending their youth group. They tried to convince me with Christian evidences, or apologetics, that there was a God. Which didn't work. Meanwhile the Holy Spirit convicted me not that there was a God, but that He loved me, and sent His Son to die for me. And I gave in an trusted this God that I didn't believe in. That was back in 1968.

            And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)
            When I Survey....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seer View Post

              I think the problem with the meme is the assumption that even if God did reveal Himself in an unmistakable way that the man would therefore love and obey Him.
              Hence post #2

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seer View Post
                Here is a recent and clever atheist meme...
                .
                "I don't know what it would take to convince me that God exists. But if God does exist, then He would know what it takes to convince me of His existence (and He should also be capable of accomplishing this task)."


                Any thoughts?
                If you use indent tags, the quote won't disappear when folks are trying to reply. And by recent, looks like ya mean a formulation I remember from twenty years ago, and yeah, it was just as true then as it is now.

                But the real problem isn't winning the war, it's winning the peace. So now the atheist believes God exists. Which God? The Jewish God, maybe, a God that doesn't take kindly to folks elevating a human to a position of co-divinity? Or maybe the God of Islam, that starts out declaring God doesn't have partners. Or maybe my God, the Platonic ideal, a God that exists as an idea because all ideas exist.

                What about the God of Bob Tilton, or Joel Osteen, or Creflo Dollar?

                Or even the God of Heinlein's Fosterites?
                .
                “He should have known better because, early in his learnings under his brother Mahmoud, he had discovered that long human words (the longer the better) were easy, unmistakable, and rarely changed their meanings . . . but short words were slippery, unpredictable, changing their meanings without any pattern. Or so he seemed to grok. Short human words were never like a short Martian word—such as “grok” which forever meant exactly the same thing. Short human words were like trying to lift water with a knife. ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

                  If you use indent tags, the quote won't disappear when folks are trying to reply. And by recent, looks like ya mean a formulation I remember from twenty years ago, and yeah, it was just as true then as it is now.

                  But the real problem isn't winning the war, it's winning the peace. So now the atheist believes God exists. Which God? The Jewish God, maybe, a God that doesn't take kindly to folks elevating a human to a position of co-divinity? Or maybe the God of Islam, that starts out declaring God doesn't have partners. Or maybe my God, the Platonic ideal, a God that exists as an idea because all ideas exist.

                  What about the God of Bob Tilton, or Joel Osteen, or Creflo Dollar?

                  Or even the God of Heinlein's Fosterites?
                  .
                  “He should have known better because, early in his learnings under his brother Mahmoud, he had discovered that long human words (the longer the better) were easy, unmistakable, and rarely changed their meanings . . . but short words were slippery, unpredictable, changing their meanings without any pattern. Or so he seemed to grok. Short human words were never like a short Martian word—such as “grok” which forever meant exactly the same thing. Short human words were like trying to lift water with a knife. ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
                  That would all be the second step or challenge after getting them to realize that God exists -- pointing them in the right direction.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Here is a recent and clever atheist meme...



                    Any thoughts?


                    Maybe God has more leniency during times like these...like during this information age where there is so much conflicting information.

                    Comment

                    Related Threads

                    Collapse

                    Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by eider, 10-24-2021, 12:23 AM
                    194 responses
                    796 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post eider
                    by eider
                     
                    Started by seer, 10-20-2021, 07:50 AM
                    32 responses
                    195 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seer
                    by seer
                     
                    Started by Juvenal, 10-13-2021, 08:41 AM
                    19 responses
                    120 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post mossrose  
                    Started by seer, 10-11-2021, 06:32 PM
                    9 responses
                    83 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Machinist  
                    Started by lee_merrill, 10-08-2021, 06:03 PM
                    5 responses
                    46 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post rogue06
                    by rogue06
                     
                    Working...
                    X