Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gary & Rhinestone's Thread on Burial and Resurrection of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    This is his claim. EDITED: #233. Sorry, apparently it didn't quote the whole post.
    If I had to guess, he's referring to those scholars he googled who support that Jesus was charged for claiming to be King of the Jews, which is a strawman, and not something Evans denies, so it's neither here nor there.

Comment

• I never said that Jesus was crucified for being a violent insurrectionist. He was crucified for claiming to be the King of the Jews: a statement of treason; a capital offense. This is not just my opinion. This is the opinion of the overwhelming majority of scholars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        If I had to guess, he's referring to those scholars he googled who support that Jesus was charged for claiming to be King of the Jews, which is a strawman, and not something Evans denies, so it's neither here nor there.
        So you admit that the crime for which Jesus was crucified was: Claiming to be the King of the Jews.

Excellent. Now all you need to do is admit that such a claim in first century Palestine would be considered an act of high treason.

Look it up. Ask the experts. It was an act of high treason.

NT scholar Ben Witherington states in his comment below that the crime given publically by the Romans for crucifying Jesus was for claiming to be the King of the Jews, a political crime, a crime of high treason against Caesar:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Bg...reason&f=false
        Last edited by Gary; 05-14-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          What on earth makes you think Jesus claimed to be Messiah?
          For starters, here . . .

Comment

• The claim of being the Messiah, and the King of Jews is an act of treason in Rome regardless. It was known that he had apostles and followers. It is obvious in cases of rebellion it would be obvious that they would not be openly armed until they rebel. To allow some one to go around and make the claim without judgement, which is crucifixion for treason, would be a sign of weakness by the Roman authorities.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
              Do you believe that the passages regarding the trial before Pilate in the Gospel of Mark are historically reliable? If so, Pilate only questions Jesus regarding the Jews' charge of having claimed to be the King of the Jews. Jesus refuses to deny that he had ever claimed this. Why would Pilate spend so much time interrogating Jesus about the claim of being the true ruler of the Jews (and not Caesar) and then execute him for violating some Jewish religious law about which the text is silent??

Based on what we know from historical records, do you think Pilate would wring his hands over the life of one Jew?
              Depends what you mean by "reliable." Do I believe that Pilate probably spoke to Jesus? Yes. Do I believe that the Markan account is completely historical? No, I don't. I think Crossan goes too far in dismissing the historicity of the trial wholesale. I think Brown and Meier are correct when they argue for something similar to the text, but more limited in scope.

I see Pilate speaking with some of the aggrieved leaders. I don't think the full Sanhedrin showed up... there are a few reasons why that is (primarily, it's Passover).

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                For starters, here . . .
                You cannot take the bits of Matthew's and Mark's narrative the support your case (claiming the narrative is reliable) while at the same time dismissing the parts of the narrative that don't support your case (claiming the narrative is unreliable). Either Matthew and Mark are a good source for details concerning the trial of Jesus or they are not. Pick one.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

You cannot take the bits of Matthew's and Mark's narrative the support your case (claiming the narrative is reliable) while at the same time dismissing the parts of the narrative that don't support your case (claiming the narrative is unreliable). Either Matthew and Mark are a good source for details concerning the trial of Jesus or they are not. Pick one.
                  These are not bites and pieces. Are you claiming these citations are unreliable? They are direct quotes, deal with it and respond.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-14-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

These are not bites and pieces. They are direct quotes, deal with it and respond.
                    Direct quotes from a source that both you and Gary consider to be unreliable.
                    Do you have another source that proves Jesus claimed to be the Messiah or that he was convicted of treason?
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Critical scholars are quite adept at picking and choosing what parts of the narrative they'll accept as reliable. Sometimes they persuade other critical scholars.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Direct quotes from a source that both you and Gary consider to be unreliable.
                        Do you have another source that proves Jesus claimed to be the Messiah or that he was convicted of treason?
                        The problem question is do you believe the citations are reliable?

The citations clearly answers your question. Jesus Christ clearly and specifically claimed to be the Messiah and the King of the Jews.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                          He claimed (or at least refused to deny he had claimed) of being the Jewish Messiah. Anyone in Palestine who knew anything about Jews and their religion would know that they were waiting for a messenger from God who would destroy their enemies and re-establish the Davidic throne. If Jesus was claiming to be this Messiah, he was therefore claiming that he was going to overthrow Roman rule. The idea that the Romans understood that Jesus' "kingdom" was spiritual in nature only is preposterous. Even the disciples were expecting up until the last minute to overthrow Rome and sit on real thrones with Jesus in the new Kingdom of Israel.
                          First, that's not totally true. Josephus tells us of several Messianic claimants (most notably Theudas) who do little of the sort.

Jesus spoke of the Kingdom of God, both future and present. I don't see that as an earthly kingdom. Jesus was likely referring to his belief about the incoming apocalypse.

Comment

The problem question is do you believe the citations are reliable?
                            The citations clearly answers your question. Jesus Christ clearly and specifically claimed to be the Messiah and the King of the Jews.
                            You are the one citing the gospels as a source.
                            Do you believe the source is reliable concerning the trial of Jesus Christ?

Comment

• http://www.jcrelations.net/The+Trial...268.0.html?L=3

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil
                                Do you believe the gospels are a reliable source concerning the trial of Jesus Christ?
                                Your playing Duck, Bob and Weave. DO YOU BELIEVE THE CITATIONS ARE ACCURATE AND THAT JESUS CLAIMED TO BE THE MESSIAH AND THE KING OF THE JEWS?

Based on this quote below you are doubting the text of the gospels as reliable.

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil
                                What on earth makes you think Jesus claimed to be Messiah?
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment