Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Highly Religious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I would rather not be considered "highly religious", as the world defines it.

The Pharisees that Jesus dealt with were that. I would rather be like the tax gatherer who recognized his own sin and repented humbly before God.
    Yeah. I love words, but few are free of baggage.

I loathe most common understandings of "spiritual" just as much as "religious."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I'm more puzzled that they differentiated between "Catholic" and "Christian."
      Did they really? I missed that.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        That's been the dominant message within Evangelical Protestant circles for decades.
        Nope.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          If you'd gone to high school where I did, you wouldn't be. "Are you Catholic or Christian?" was a common question.
          When I was a kid, a plurality if not actual majority of the people in town were RC. It felt slightly awkward being one of the relatively few walking around school without a smudge on my forehead on Ash Wednesday. I vaguely recall a few conversations about whether or not I were a Christian, since I was not RC.

I got saved during my sophomore year at college, and started attending C&MA fellowships and churches. They were pretty Fundy, and so there the thinking was kind of reversed. The ol' Pope is the Antichrist, RC church is the Whore of Babylon sort of thing.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            Nope.
            Um. Yes, it has.

Comment

Um. Yes, it has.
              Yes, they decry legalism but only as a means to criticize Roman Catholicism as it touches soteriology.
              Once they pry some poor slob out of Romanism they load the mark up with more legalism then he had before.
              It is a term applied to 'the other guys'.

Ask any Protestant you know about the term legalism and they'll talk about how it relates to soteriology.
              They don't have a clue as to the damage they're doing to people's daily walk.
              I've witnessed this up close and personal for decades.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

*adds adrift to people I need to protect from the Gerbil.
                The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  Yes, they decry legalism but only as a means to criticize Roman Catholicism as it touches soteriology.
                  Once they pry some poor slob out of Romanism they load the mark up with more legalism then he had before.
                  It is a term applied to 'the other guys'.

Ask any Protestant you know about the term legalism and they'll talk about how it relates to soteriology.
                  They don't have a clue as to the damage they're doing to people's daily walk.
                  I've witnessed this up close and personal for decades.
                  It sounds like you're letting some very unusual personal interactions color your impression on this subject. I imagine most Protestants don't know what words like "soteriology" mean, so asking one about the term "legalism" is hardly likely to have them go into a rant about soteriology. Rather, the discussion of legalism in Evangelical Protestant circles is a byproduct of the counter-cultural Jesus Freak movement of the 60s and 70s, likely shaped by Western perceptions of Eastern religious movements popular at the time. And it has nothing specifically to do with criticizing the Roman church as much as it does most mainline churches in general. My father left the Lutheran church because he found it overbearingly legalistic (then he ironically joined a cult, but still).

At any rate, my statement in post #30 was not factually wrong regardless of your impressions of Evangelical Protestants. It really is something that's been discussed in those circles for decades, and I'm assuming you agree with that considering how fast you went from a "Nope" to a "Yes, but.."

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                    *adds adrift to people I need to protect from the Gerbil.
                    It's ok. Ernie hardly strikes fear in my heart.

Comment

Been wondering which you figured was which.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ernie is the gay one; right?
                        The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                          Ernie is the gay one; right?
                          No, he's the puppet.

Comment

At any rate, my statement in post #30 was not factually wrong regardless of your impressions of Evangelical Protestants. It really is something that's been discussed in those circles for decades
                            Discussed as a means of criticizing other sects, yes.
                            Discussed as a means of meaningful self-evaluation, no.

I used the Doctrine of Salvation to illustrate that point.

...and I'm assuming you agree with that considering how fast you went from a "Nope" to a "Yes, but.."
                            I don't consider bagging on other denominations as a means of self-referential confirmation to be discussion in any meaningful sense of the word.
                            I only downshifted to 'Yes but..." because it became apparent I was communicating with someone unfamiliar with the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              When I was a kid, a plurality if not actual majority of the people in town were RC. It felt slightly awkward being one of the relatively few walking around school without a smudge on my forehead on Ash Wednesday. I vaguely recall a few conversations about whether or not I were a Christian, since I was not RC.

I got saved during my sophomore year at college, and started attending C&MA fellowships and churches. They were pretty Fundy, and so there the thinking was kind of reversed. The ol' Pope is the Antichrist, RC church is the Whore of Babylon sort of thing.
                              Interesting. I never got that vibe from the C&MA fellowship I attended at college (Penn State main campus). I was even elected "elder", and would have attended a C&MA church after graduation if I could find one in my area.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Interesting. I never got that vibe from the C&MA fellowship I attended at college (Penn State main campus). I was even elected "elder", and would have attended a C&MA church after graduation if I could find one in my area.
                                That's true. ACF at Main campus was not like that. It was also charismatic. I was thinking more of the one my then-girlfriend attended. Even then it was not so much from the regular pastor as from the book table (plenty of "Chick" materials), some of the deacons and elders, and some of the visiting preachers during "prophecy conferences."

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment