Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why I'm not an atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    FF, that does not change anything I said about logically justifying our experience of the external world. And if you don't like zombies you can use sociopaths like I mentioned earlier.

And if you don't like Zombies try the bat: http://organizations.utep.edu/Portal.../nagel_bat.pdf
    Nagel argues that the inner experience of a brain is truly knowable only to that brain. He goes for a very extreme position (truly) but in practice it is not the stumbling block you suppose because brains, particularly brains like your own can be interrogated in great detail because they are programmed with a common language and they share the world with other brains. A bat brain cannot be interrogated in the same way.

http://chronicle.com/article/Where-T...-Wrong/139129/

Comment

• Originally posted by Trout View Post
      That's the $64 question.

It seems that some are born with an apriori knowledge of the existence of the Divine.

Some become believers from a near death event.

Some become believers after a miraculous happening

Some become believers after they receive some kind of communication from God.

Some become believers after an answered prayer.

I'm sure there are many other ways to come to theism.

The bottom line seems to be some kind of missing puzzle piece that suddenly or slowly appears.

Does that make any sense?
      Then it sounds like it's completely out of an individuals hands as to whether he is 'saved' or not. If we are not all given the same evidence then that's Gods fault, not the human race. As Steven Weinberg once said: "if there is a God, he has gone to great pains to hide himself, and the one truth".

What you described are anecdotes that are not very useful to someone trying to seek knowledge of God. If God wants people to know him, then maybe he should make himself more apparent to the world - and not just a select group. He could settle so much if he'd just reveal himself to us like he did to all of the figures in the Bible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I still remember the fun we three had during the tweb banning auction over at Reggie's forum. I notice it closed down shortly after that.
        Yeah, I used to be a member of IG and it's cousin forum AtheistForums. The threads by Trout and Gerbil are actually what brought me here

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          Then it sounds like it's completely out of an individuals hands as to whether he is 'saved' or not. If we are not all given the same evidence then that's Gods fault, not the human race. As Steven Weinberg once said: "if there is a God, he has gone to great pains to hide himself, and the one truth".
          I couldn't agree more.

My father was an atheist, quite vociferous and opinionated. He would sit us down and have us watch Cosmos as Carl Sagan narrated. It was like church. He saw God in absolutely nothing.

He had an experience with God at some point, which he is still quite private about, that changed him. Now he sees God in everything.

So it seems, God hides in plain sight.
          Originally posted by sea of red
          What you described are anecdotes that are not very useful to someone trying to seek knowledge of God. If God wants people to know him, then maybe he should make himself more apparent to the world - and not just a select group. He could settle so much if he'd just reveal himself to us like he did to all of the figures in the Bible.
          Also good points.

However, perhaps God reveals himself to those he chooses? Not that we're positioned in this thread to talk coherently about the Bible, but I have to think that he revealed himself to only a tiny fraction of the population biblically speaking, perhaps a smaller percentage than he does today?
          The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            Up until this point I'd taken your designation as 'Nontraditional' with a side of lemon butter.
            Aside from the fact that God cannot cease from being God. The only way there would be no God is if God was not God.

To be an atheist, knowing what God is, without being a pantheist, would have to deny existence itself. God being essentially the uncaused existence behind all things that exist. To say God does not exist, with that understanding of who and what God is, is no different than if to say there is no existence. All caused existences are contingent on the uncaused existence Who is God.
            Last edited by 37818; 04-08-2016, 09:29 PM.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Aside from the fact that God cannot cease from being God.
              Anecdotal assertion! IF a Source some call God(s) exists.

The only way there would be no God is if God was not God.
              Yes, it is a possibility that 'not God' is true.

To be an atheist, knowing what God is, without being a pantheist, . . .
              Pantheism is another word for atheism describing the universe as God.

. . . would have to deny existence itself. God being essentially the uncaused existence behind all things that exist. To say God does not exist, with that understanding of who and what God is, is no different than if to say there is no existence. All caused existences are contingent on the uncaused existence Who is God.
              Your biting yourself in the butt again 'begging the questions . . ., 'God exists because God exists.'

Comment

Its taoist's fault.
                I'm not going to feed your amen jones, but yes, I did see what you did there.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  I'm not going to feed your amen jones, but yes, I did see what you did there.
                  Potty mouth

Comment

Aside from the fact that God cannot cease from being God. The only way there would be no God is if God was not God.

To be an atheist, knowing what God is, without being a pantheist, would have to deny existence itself. God being essentially the uncaused existence behind all things that exist. To say God does not exist, with that understanding of who and what God is, is no different than if to say there is no existence. All caused existences are contingent on the uncaused existence Who is God.
                    Posts like this one make me want to be an atheist

Comment

• There is an uncaused existence.

If that is not God, of course there is none.

I'll explain this again in some other words. If there is no God and I believe in this non existent God. When I'm dead it is not likely I will know that I was wrong. On the other hand, if the uncaused existence is God, as I believe His Name means the Self-Existent, and should I not believe in Him, then I would be toast, as a matter of speaking, and know this for all eternity. And I would not be in a position to warn anyone.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

Posts like this one make me want to be an atheist
                        Why? And how is it you remain a Christian?

Comment

Why? And how is it you remain a Christian?
                          Not with contorted circular logic. You remain what you believe by faith, and not self-justified misuse of logic.

Comment

Because I'm pretty sure God exists.
                            Just pretty sure? I know God exists.

Not so sure about Canada, however...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Not with contorted circular logic. You remain what you believe by faith, and not self-justified misuse of logic.
                              And this is as you believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                                Yeah, I used to be a member of IG and it's cousin forum AtheistForums. The threads by Trout and Gerbil are actually what brought me here
                                Not mine?

Comment