Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I was hoping not to get into an extended debate because I freely admit I have a lot more work to do on that issue; I was just trying to answer the question as to why I presently take the stance I do.
    No prob!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I was hoping not to get into an extended debate because I freely admit I have a lot more work to do on that issue; I was just trying to answer the question as to why I presently take the stance I do.
      I get that, I need to take a break myself. I was just pointing out that the "stay quiet" is not in dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        You do know that men being taught were to "stay quiet" as well, right?
        Yet HERE you are!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          ...to be clear, I see this argument about headship as weak as it relates to what ministries a woman may engage in. When the Holy Spirit came down a Pentecost, both men and women received it, as indicated by the text and by Peter quoting from Joel.

I've been reading the OT more these days...and I've noticed that when they speak of the Spirit of God, it serves as a sign that God has chosen, or spoken, and that is the final say on the matter. But I'm still studying ...

Again, I just don't think the headship of the husband should be used as an argument here.
          The problem is that Paul seems to bring it up right here in verses 13-14. Further complicating matters is the fact that not only were Adam and Eve the first template for a married couple but they were the first male and female of the created order.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And you want to get into that, eh?

So why would Paul, the great Church Planter, say
            1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
            But it was okay that Tim was taught by women?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              But it was okay that Tim was taught by women?
              Sure - he was a lad!

I was taught my my mother and grandmother, also.

Comment

We know precious little about Junia, and slightly more about Priscilla. We don't know that either of them were pastors.
                ***cough*** Phoebe...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sure - he was a lad!

I was taught my my mother and grandmother, also.
                  Yet it's that teaching Tim is using to teach others - this makes no sense if a woman's teaching is suspect (also, teaching isn't preaching - so Sunday School, not pastoral roles, should be the real question IF a woman's teaching is suspect).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yet it's that teaching Tim is using to teach others -
                    Along with copious amounts of teaching by Paul.

this makes no sense if a woman's teaching is suspect (also, teaching isn't preaching - so Sunday School, not pastoral roles, should be the real question IF a woman's teaching is suspect).
                    I think you're dancing without a partner. Where did anybody say that a woman's teaching is "suspect"?

Comment

***cough*** Phoebe...
                      What Church did she pastor?

And I got over MY cough with ... um... benzonotate... marvelous!

Comment

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and you're still one of my most favorite Twebbers!
                        You say that only because it's true.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          You say that only because it's true.

Comment

I think we can assume that women did pastor in the ANE. If we look for instance at Priscilla, the fact that her name came first is very important. As John Chrysostom (349–407 A.D.) stated of her:

Source: http://www.cbeinternational.org/resources/article/john-chrysostom%E2%80%99s-first-homily-greeting-priscilla-and-aquila?page=5

This too is worthy of inquiry, why, as he addressed them, Paul has placed Priscilla before her husband. For he did not say, “Greet Aquila and Priscilla,” but “Priscilla and Aquila.” He does not do this without a reason, but he seems to me to acknowledge a greater godliness for her than for her husband. What I said is not guess-work, because it is possible to learn this from the Book of Acts. She took Apollos, an eloquent man and powerful in the Scriptures, but knowing only the baptism of John; and she instructed him in the way of the Lord and made him a teacher brought to completion (Acts 18:24, 25).

© Copyright Original Source

That is just a small piece of a larger picture though.
                            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I agree it's part of a larger picture. When I have time I'll post my views on this....
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

"Pastor" is a New Testament role. "The Church" as we know it*, began with Christ.
                                The ESV of the Bible does not have "pastor." What do you mean by that word?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X