Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Aspects of Atonement: What Did Jesus' Death on the Tree Accomplish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post
    Apparently, in his schema, the Church is the source of salvation. Faith will not initiate the Kingdom of God, becoming a blessing to the world.

Instead grace administered by the Church will ensure entry into heaven.
    http://wscal.edu/academics/faculty-bio/michael-s-horton
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• So let's hear how you have become a blessing to the world.

Comment

So let's hear how you have become a blessing to the world.
        When you renounce your use of ad hominems and misrepresentation, I will engage you in discussion again. Follow the example of your hero.

Comment

• Scripture rebukes those who store treasure where moth and rust attack the upholstery and the metal.

Comment

• It is sad to see the downturn in the tenor of conversation here.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
              It is sad to see the downturn in the tenor of conversation here.
              I agree. It is always better to discuss the topic at hand rather than criticizing other people.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                I agree. It is always better to discuss the topic at hand rather than criticizing other people.
                Last edited by footwasher; 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Requiring closing of all loopholes, escape routes, before you concede defeat.

Originally Posted by footwasher
                  I repeat:

Your inclusion of the second statement indicated that a sinner's faith is not only secondary, but counterproductive.

Robrecht wrote:
                  Please take that up with St Paul, whom I was quoting. I think it is important to look at all of the elements of the immediate context to understand Paul's meaning.
                  Ungraciously slipping in a counter, even after conceding you had posted that you thought Paul taught the faith of sinner's was counter productive. When it is widely understood that Paul was endeavoring to teach no one gets a free pass as far as requiring redemption was concerned.

This is the problem discussing stuff with non evangelicals. You have to bring them up to speed first.
                  Last edited by footwasher; 04-14-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• This is, once again, a misrepresentation of my view:

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                    Requiring closing of all loopholes, escape routes, before you concede defeat.

Originally Posted by footwasher
                    I repeat:

Your inclusion of the second statement indicated that a sinner's faith is not only secondary, but counterproductive.

Robrecht wrote:

Ungraciously slipping in a counter, even after conceding you had posted that you thought Paul taught the faith of sinner's was counter productive. When it is widely understood that Paul was endeavoring to teach no one gets a free pass as far as requiring redemption was concerned.

This is the problem discussing stuff with non evangelicals. You have to bring them up to speed first.
                    I never, ever said our faith is counterproductive.

Comment

So why avoid discussing my view ...
                      I am avoiding all discussion with you because of your negative focus on my person. I will however correct your continued misrepresentations.
                      Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                      I find it offputing that you believe that denying a charge is enough ...
                      I clarified my meaning when I saw how you misunderstood one element of my argument taken out of context. In polite conversation, a clarification of one's meaning is sufficient. If, however, you want to bring "charges" against me, I no longer consider this a polite conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        This is, once again, a misrepresentation of my view:

I never, ever said our faith is counterproductive.
                        Weaseling out again?

You understand Paul as saying that.

Your view is the same, unless you believe Paul's views are errant.

Comment

Weaseling out again?

You understand Paul as saying that.

Your view is the same, unless you believe Paul's views are errant.
                          False. I have never, ever understood Paul to be saying that our faith is counterproductive.

Comment

• Robrecht wrote:
                            Please take that up with St Paul, whom I was quoting. I think it is important to look at all of the elements of the immediate context to understand Paul's meaning.
                            You have either a problem with communication or comprehension.

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            False. I have never, ever understood Paul to be saying that our faith is counterproductive.
                            Last edited by footwasher; 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Robrecht wrote:

You have either a problem with communication or comprehension.
                              I have no difficulty understanding what I think and what I have written. And I never said that our faith is counterproductive. Nor did Paul say so. Nor did I ever claim that Paul said our faith is counterproductive. That you think I have is apparently only an absurd fantasy of yours.

Comment

• Originally Posted by footwasher
                                I repeat:

robrech wrote:

I am exhausted with teasing out the various interpretational options afforded by your statements. In the above, is your view:

1.Robrecht said to footwasher:
                                You say I claim the faith of sinners is counterproductive. Paul says the faith of all is secondary, because all have sinned, so really, pistes Christou really means the faithfulness of Christ. Such a mean, low faith could hardly be the initiator of the manifestation of God's righteousness, His atoning action, in our lives. I don't makes 'em up, I only reads 'em. If you have a problem, take it up with Paul.

2.Robrecht never said to footwasher:
                                You say I claim the faith of sinners is counterproductive. Paul says the faith of all is secondary, because all have sinned, so really, pistes Christou really means the faithfulness of Christ. Such a mean, low faith could hardly be the initiator of the manifestation of God's righteousness, His atoning action, in our lives. I don't makes 'em up, I only reads 'em. If you have a problem, take it up with Paul.

Which is it?
                                Last edited by footwasher; 04-15-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X