Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What does Leave & Cleave mean for couples?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think the Bible teaches that if you be nice and forgive people, the majority of the time they will be nice back. That goes for both the mother and your husband. Who cares if she apologizes? It sounds like she is single and lonely anyway. She is getting plenty of punishment for the poor way that she treats people.

To the extent that the phone calls bother you, I think you should just get him to agree to take the calls at a time when he is away from you, so you don't have to be bothered by it. Personally, I think phone calls in general are annoying -- no matter who they're from. And it bugs me when people are always on the phone around me. So that's where I'm coming from. Have him yak with his mother elsewhere.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't that useful. But the useful thing would be to remember all the good things about your husband that (hopefully) outweigh this negative. And focus on that.
    that's useful. thank you. He's such a dang talker. I'm so different. But she takes the take. Two talkers and me, the introvert. It's almost comical. I honestly could not imagine what I could say to my mother for an hour or even half hour every day! Every week maybe, every 2 weeks, sure, but every day? I just don't have that much to say.

But they yap like old BFF's (best friends) and I hear in his voice the naturalness he doesn't have with his own wife, and that gets me.

I'm not as 'flowy' and at ease when conversing with my parents whom I get along with great, I'm more comfortable talking with my husband ofcourse, I don't sense that in him.
    Last edited by princesa; 04-01-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
      To answer your question, I think a healthy approach would be to call his mother once a week to make sure she's ok and if she needs anything.

Calling everyday a few times a day, or even every other day, for long periods of time, seems an unhealthy relationship for a man of over 40 to have with his mommy. I hope that answers, i feel he needs to slowly break the clinginess.
      It is clear that your mother-in-law has hurt you deeply in the past.

It is clear that her relationship with her son is one of, if not the most important relationship in your mother-in-law's life right now.

To what extent is each of these facts problematic?
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa
        But they yap like old BFF's (best friends) and I hear in his voice the naturalness he doesn't have with his own wife, and that gets me.
        On a practical level, his talking to her less will probably not change how he interacts with you. That is a separate issue. I doubt that anyone on this forum can help you with that much. Be pleasant; be submissive; don't nag; be forgiving; engage in good activities together. Those are about the only tips you can get from the internet.

I wouldn't say that your jealousy is wrong (or right), but you probably need to figure out some practical way to get over it. Or like I said, at least keep it from being shoved in your face all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          It is clear that your mother-in-law has hurt you deeply in the past.

It is clear that her relationship with her son is one of, if not the most important relationship in your mother-in-law's life right now.

To what extent is each of these facts problematic?
          The first fact is a wound that hasn't healed most especially because she doesn't pay attention to her grandchildren which would have healed us somewhat. If you don't like me but adore my children we can get along. Its problematic, she doesn't even try, it should bother him since it deals with his children.
          The second fact- it is not healthy for a mother to cling to her married adult son and constantly call him. It is problematic if he's still cleaving. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who can show me that I'm being unreasonable there. There is a situation with the family involving an illness, maybe i need to be more understanding, i don't know,..
          Last edited by princesa; 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Be pleasant; be submissive; don't nag; be forgiving; engage in good activities together. Those are about the only tips you can get from the internet.

I wouldn't say that your jealousy is wrong (or right), but you probably need to figure out some practical way to get over it. Or like I said, at least keep it from being shoved in your face all the time.
            yeah, trust me, i know that's the best i can hope for ...nothing will change after so many years so I just have to shut my mouth and smile and try to forgive and settle for being second in my spouses life. big deal.

Comment

The fact remains that your strategy -- trying to weaken their bond to make your own seem better -- is just not logical.

The second fact- it is not healthy for a mother to cling to her married adult son and constantly call him.
              Nothing about this woman sounds healthy. But her health isn't your concern.

Comment

The fact remains that your strategy -- trying to weaken their bond to make your own seem better -- is just not logical.

Nothing about this woman sounds healthy. But her health isn't your concern.
                her clinginess affects our marriage. he is not leaving and cleaving.

Comment

Thanks. I think my problem honestly is figuring out if he is putting her first because he doesn't cut her off to once a week phone calls. I sometimes wonder if I'm being unreasonable. See? I don't know for sure that he is putting her first or if I only think he is. How do I measure?
                  I think it's not healthy to measure, though I quite understand the desire to do so.

Have you ever read C J Cherryh's Foreigner series? You'd probably identify well with one of the bit characters (the main character's mom is quite clingy).
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

her clinginess affects our marriage. he is not leaving and cleaving.
                    I disapprove of how he is behaving. But honestly, I don't think he is violating this verse.

Comment

Why would anyone call their son at midnight , leave a message that it's important, to solve a domestic issue in someone elses home out of state? I'm at a loss, TRYING to be understanding. THen, the son calls back first thing in the morning and tells me i need to be understanding because it's a family health issue. then says he 'fixed' it and i shouldn't get involved. i'm tired.
                      Last edited by princesa; 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

We can't afford it, timewise or financial. The truth is he is so very close to his parents, he speaks to them for hours, he calls his sister every day because of the illness situation. I grew up very different. Myself and every other adult I know don't call their parents every day and talk for half hour. I understand there is a special situation on her illness but we are states away, why are they calling him at night for advice saying it's important? He's not God. I don't get it.

He said "My family is going through something right now and we're trying to figure out a way to help"......for 15 years whenever he said 'my family' he meant wife and kids, not this time, it's mommy, daddy etc...

I feel our nuclear family is second place.
                        At least from your perspective, that certainly seems to be the case. As for whether your can afford it financially or timewise, (1) If the outcome was that he stopped talking to her for hours, then counseling would actually be a win timewise; (2) divorce and its aftermath would be even worse financially and timewise. Given that this issue keeps coming up in your life, it's hard to imagine that it's going to go away or even seem better if you don't get help.

Comment

I kinda got the 'venting' impression reading the thread (you tend to type too fast when you're upset and grammar becomes more 'optional' ) which was why I refrained from answering (that and I was busy crying over the cat ).

PM me if you like.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Closing per thread starter's request
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment