Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians in America

I know optimism is a much better pill to swallow than gloom and doom, but as an American Christian, whatever you think is going to happen in the next several years in this country or not going to happen (or hope won't happen), I think Christians should start preparing for some pretty dark times. By preparing I mean mentally and perhaps physically, but by all means spiritually. I think we Americans have had it really good and aren't prepared for this, even though many of us may think we're prepared for anything. And I'm not necessarily referring to persecution (though that's certainly a probability), but just the ugliness and turmoil that is coming our way, things we would never have expected to see happening here.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I know optimism is a much better pill to swallow than gloom and doom, but as an American Christian, whatever you think is going to happen in the next several years in this country or not going to happen (or hope won't happen), I think Christians should start preparing for some pretty dark times. By preparing I mean mentally and perhaps physically, but by all means spiritually. I think we Americans have had it really good and aren't prepared for this, even though many of us may think we're prepared for anything. And I'm not necessarily referring to persecution (though that's certainly a probability), but just the ugliness and turmoil that is coming our way, things we would never have expected to see happening here.
    If the left retains power I suspect we'll start facing some persecution for our beliefs given that they conflict with their latest religion -- LGBTQ++

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If by "retains power" you're referring to this election, I don't think the outcome of this election will change much regardless of who gets in office.

Comment

I think a lot of the reason we see a dark future for Christianity in America is because there are so many WEENIE SISSY Christians that are far more concerned with the "nice sayings" of Jesus, than warning people about the Hell to shun and the Heaven to gain.

It reminds me of the story of the preacher who stood in the pulpit and told his people...

I have two things to say this morning....

First, millions of lost people are going to Hell every year, and most of you in this room don't even give a damn.

(understandably, numerous gasps in the audience)

Secondly - most of you are far more concerned about the fact that I said "damn" than that I said millions of people are going to Hell every year.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If the left retains power I suspect we'll start facing some persecution for our beliefs given that they conflict with their latest religion -- LGBTQ++
          The Church seems to fare far better under persecution than in "good times".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think a lot of the reason we see a dark future for Christianity in America is because there are so many WEENIE SISSY Christians that are far more concerned with the "nice sayings" of Jesus, than warning people about the Hell to shun and the Heaven to gain.

It reminds me of the story of the preacher who stood in the pulpit and told his people...

I have two things to say this morning....

First, millions of lost people are going to Hell every year, and most of you in this room don't even give a damn.

(understandably, numerous gasps in the audience)

Secondly - most of you are far more concerned about the fact that I said "damn" than that I said millions of people are going to Hell every year.
            I agree. But I would also add that there isn't a sense urgency in the church. A whole lot of Christians, especially conservatives who aren't ignorant about what's been going on, seem to be drunk on a whole bunch of political hopium, thinking that with a right set of government policies in place we can turn all this around, which sort of produces a sense spiritual complacency and reliance on material and secular matters.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              I agree. But I would also add that there isn't a sense urgency in the church. A whole lot of Christians, especially conservatives who aren't ignorant about what's been going on, seem to be drunk on a whole bunch of political hopium, thinking that with a right set of government policies in place we can turn all this around, which sort of produces a sense spiritual complacency and reliance on material and secular matters.
              Yeah, I tend to seek out men who are interested in making a difference. (And the age-old wisdom that - if you get the man, you get his family)

In The Feminization of Christianity, Brett & Kate McKay trace this back to about the 13th Century.

Having examined the evidence, Catholic scholar Dr. Leon J. Podles believes that men and women were about equally committed to Christianity for the first millennium of its existence. There is, at least, no evidence that a disparity in commitment existed; it was not remarked upon by early church fathers and observers, who would likely have noted the phenomenon, in the same way that, as we’ll see, was common in the religion’s second thousand years.

Podles speculates that the feminization of Christianity began in about the 13th century, for reasons we’ll detail in the next section.

Whether or not the gender gap can be traced back that far, we know with a surety that it began at least as early as the 17th century in America. In fact, the gap seems to have arrived right along with the country’s Puritan settlers. The rolls of early New England churches show more female than male members, despite the fact that there were about 150 men to 100 women in the population overall.

How high was the imbalance in early American church membership? In 1692, famous Puritan minister Cotton Mather shared this firsthand observation on the state of things around the Massachusetts Bay Colony:
              “There are far more Godly Women in the World than Godly Men…I have seen it without going a Mile from home, That in a Church of Three or Four Hundred Communicants, there are but a few more than One Hundred Men, all the Rest are Women.”

You look in many churches today and it's pretty much all women and children. And when the kids grow up to where they can decide for themselves, they drift away - especially the boys.

I personally believe this is why we see so many "former Christians".

Comment

The Church seems to fare far better under persecution than in "good times".
                It goes in hand with the adage concerning hard times creating strong men and good times creating weak men.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It goes in hand with the adage concerning hard times creating strong men and good times creating weak men.

Comment

You look in many churches today and it's pretty much all women and children. And when the kids grow up to where they can decide for themselves, they drift away - especially the boys.

I personally believe this is why we see so many "former Christians".
                    So, last night was our Wednesday service and I was teaching about Women in the Bible. Toward the close, I mentioned the article about the Feminization of Christianity, and that it is cited that this was happening as far back as the 13th century, and that there were observations that all over Europe, congregations had 4 times as many women as men.

We had a really decent crowd last night*, and, as a follow up, one of the ladies noted that we had, in that meeting, exactly the same number of men as women.

I have always believed in a strong men's ministry.

*I've always noted that it SEEMS like the bigger the church, the smaller the ration of Sunday Morning attendance to Wednesday night attendance.
                    I would estimate that our Wednesday Night attendance is about 50% of Sunday Morning - which is pretty high.

Comment

So, last night was our Wednesday service and I was teaching about Women in the Bible. Toward the close, I mentioned the article about the Feminization of Christianity, and that it is cited that this was happening as far back as the 13th century, and that there were observations that all over Europe, congregations had 4 times as many women as men.

We had a really decent crowd last night*, and, as a follow up, one of the ladies noted that we had, in that meeting, exactly the same number of men as women.

I have always believed in a strong men's ministry.

*I've always noted that it SEEMS like the bigger the church, the smaller the ration of Sunday Morning attendance to Wednesday night attendance.
                      I would estimate that our Wednesday Night attendance is about 50% of Sunday Morning - which is pretty high.
                      Been mulling this feminization of Christianity thing since yesterday, and I came to realize that many if not most of the sermons I can recall that might pertain here, it seems that they offered support for the women while merely telling the men what to do.

Comment

I thought that from the earliest days, Christianity was mocked as a religion of "women, children, and slaves."

See this article by Mike Bird (and try not to gag at the misuse of "incredulous" by a Ph. D.).

Also this article by William Bowes.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

What I've noticed is that even tolerance isn't enough. "They" (the Left/fascists/globalist cabal) want actual approval for the LGBTQ and the other distasteful causes they support.

"You aren't clapping hard enough to show your approval! Perhaps you need to be reeducated!

Comment

Been mulling this feminization of Christianity thing since yesterday, and I came to realize that many if not most of the sermons I can recall that might pertain here, it seems that they offered support for the women while merely telling the men what to do.
                            And we have several "Christians" here who are seem to limit their "faith" to the "soft sayings" of Jesus, justifying their social warrior status.
                            What good is it to address the social needs of those who will spend eternity in Hell?

And I believe I have been pretty consistent that I'm a "why not BOTH" kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

What I've noticed is that even tolerance isn't enough. "They" (the Left/fascists/globalist cabal) want actual approval for the LGBTQ and the other distasteful causes they support.

"You aren't clapping hard enough to show your approval! Perhaps you need to be reeducated!
                              Hence why some of them search for a Christian-run bakery or florist so as to make them participate in a gay wedding and such.

Comment