Modesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That would be Paul, writing to Timothy, and it's not at all unusual for people to accuse Paul of being sexist.
    The specific term "modesty" occurs only in 1 Tim. 2, but as far as women's apparel is concerned, similar thoughts appear in 1 Pet. 3.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd
      It's ridiculous to think either sex is more materialistic than the other, just as it is ridiculous to think that either is more prone to "wrath and dissension." But, if we take guidelines such as those in 1 Tim. 2 as universal, we are led to that inference.
      I meant more materialistic in terms of decorating oneself. That is something women generally do more. It has to do with women's sexuality. They focus on their physical appearance because they are the "glory of the man" and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
        I meant more materialistic in terms of decorating oneself. That is something women generally do more. It has to do with women's sexuality. They focus on their physical appearance because they are the "glory of the man" and such.
        I understand, and the same 1 Tim. 2 passage would lead to the conclusion that men are more prone to "wrath and dissension." Those things may have been true in Ephesus when Paul wrote to Timothy, but observation shows that today they are less true, if they are true at all.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Having spent 10 years in Mormonism, I've seen modesty taken to the extreme. I've seen women walk in as visitors and people deliberately would move away from them because they were wearing sleeveless blouses and skirts that are an inch above the knee. I myself was told by the RS President that the scalloped blouse I was wearing was indecent because my collarbone was showing. The one time I showed up in slacks because I had to walk over a mile in six inches of snow also drew comments about my lack of respect for God. All of this I now find laughable because, in the eyes of 1st Century Christianity, I was modestly dressed. I rarely wear makeup, my jewelry is usually a simple necklace and now a purity ring.

The Episcopal church I attend has made it clear that whatever people want to wear is fine. I still dress in a blouse and skirt because that's my style. A good friend of mine likes to wear jeans, a t-shirt, and converse. Another friend of mine likes to wear shorts, a polo shirt and an English shepherd's cap. Personally, Jesus wore sandals so I'm not about to tell people what to put on. As long as they are clothed, I'm happy.
          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            The word translated "modestly" appears exactly once in the NT, in 1 Tim. 2:9, and the context has nothing to do with "skimpiness" of clothing. Just FWIW.
            1 Timothy 2:9 [Full Chapter]
            I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,

um, you were saying?

Comment

I think Obsidian is ignoring me.

Is it because I am a woman?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

@Mossrose,

No, I'm not going to recant what I've written or apologize to you because you are a woman.

Comment

@Mossrose,

No, I'm not going to recant what I've written or apologize to you because you are a woman.
                  You aren't going to apologize to me because I am a woman? You mean you would apologize if I were a man?

I guess I should feel honoured that you even responded to me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    You aren't going to apologize to me because I am a woman? You mean you would apologize if I were a man?

I guess I should feel honoured that you even responded to me.
                    Hmmmmmmm
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      1 Timothy 2:9 [Full Chapter]
                      I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,

um, you were saying?
                      So?

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

@Mossrose

No, I'm not going to recant or apologize to you for your offense taken on the basis that you are a woman. In this thread, you seem to be going out of your way to be deliberately obtuse and difficult.

Comment

@Mossrose

No, I'm not going to recant or apologize to you for your offense taken on the basis that you are a woman. In this thread, you seem to be going out of your way to be deliberately obtuse and difficult.
                            Oh. That explains it. You are still wrong, though. I am not being obtuse and difficult when I question why you are lumping all women into the same pot.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              So?
                              so you were wrong.

Comment

In a way, modesty isn't as much an issue as it used to be. We DO have a dress code, but we don't expect people from outside the membership to stick to it. I guess when one has a guy fresh out of prison tattooed from (bald) head to (presumably) toe in prison tats, and a very very vulgar 4 - letter word inked across the forehead for all to see, modesty kind of takes a different meaning. He still comes by the church now and then, and it looks like he might be trying to get rid of that one. I can't imagine the expense involved.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment