Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Actually, this thread has made me think of something else:

I like heavy metal. On occasion, I like to wear heavy metal t-shirts. To be sure, there are some shirts I won't wear (for what are probably obvious reasons--use your imagination), but there are a bunch of...rather eye-catching shirts that I like to wear. Part of the reason I like them is people's confused reaction to them. They've never seen a shirt like that before, and it confuses them. I find this amusing. Here's an example of a shirt I recently told my wife I like, and would totally wear.

If my purpose in wearing the shirt is to draw attention to myself, this would seem to make it inappropriate, right?

Please note that I'm speaking purely of myself here, and my own motivations. I don't care much what other people wear and don't concern myself with their reasons for wearing whatever it is.
    at that shirt. Yeah, I don't see a problem with it if you're not wearing it to church.

Comment

Actually, this thread has made me think of something else:

I like heavy metal. On occasion, I like to wear heavy metal t-shirts. To be sure, there are some shirts I won't wear (for what are probably obvious reasons--use your imagination), but there are a bunch of...rather eye-catching shirts that I like to wear. Part of the reason I like them is people's confused reaction to them. They've never seen a shirt like that before, and it confuses them. I find this amusing. Here's an example of a shirt I recently told my wife I like, and would totally wear.

If my purpose in wearing the shirt is to draw attention to myself, this would seem to make it inappropriate, right?

Please note that I'm speaking purely of myself here, and my own motivations. I don't care much what other people wear and don't concern myself with their reasons for wearing whatever it is.
      I don't think there's any issue with that sort of shirt. Displaying modesty doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have a personality, or show a bit of humor.

Comment

Maybe I'm overthinking it. This thread has just been me thinking out loud.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I um grew up in the deep south so dressing up at church and dressing decently during the week was part of the requirement especially in my family. Dresses, Tights, hats or Giant Hair Bows. Everyone of the adults wore jumpers and Jean dresses and long skirts....during the week at school mom dressed us up in collared shirts and jeans or khakis for boys, I wore skorts, below the knee skirts, turtle necks, casual dresses etc.... yes it was a big deal. Now after three kids I can't stand to wear anything that show's skin, so making the attempt to get me out of knee length capris, long skirts, flowy shirts, yoga pants is basically futile. Even my swimwear has changed.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Maybe I'm overthinking it. This thread has just been me thinking out loud.
            You're allowed to do that. "How can I know what I think til I hear myself say it?"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist
              I'm being legalistic about it?
              For one thing, it's not even a rule. It's a guideline. A general principle. For another thing, it's specifically directed toward women, not men. That's because women have a tendency to overspend their husbands' money, and because women are more prone to focusing on their own physical appearance. So you're taking something that is a guideline toward women -- something that you are not -- and acting as though there is some sort of rule in it that applies to you. That seems to me like legalism.

And I believe you specifically said that the reason you dress up is not to draw attention to yourself, anyway, but rather to show respect for the institution of the church. That is not at all the womanly temptation that Paul was addressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian
                That's because women have a tendency to overspend their husbands' money, and because women are more prone to focusing on their own physical appearance.
                I am not a women's libber by any means, but I am highly offended by your blanket statement here. My husband would be the first to disagree with you about how I am in this regard, in both examples you give, and I think you do a great many women a disservice by putting us all in the same pot.

An apology and a retraction would be very nice.

Oh, and are you married to a woman?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I am not a women's libber by any means, but I am highly offended by your blanket statement here. My husband would be the first to disagree with you about how I am in this regard, in both examples you give, and I think you do a great many women a disservice by putting us all in the same pot.

I thought he sounded sexist! I think he was trying to call Peter sexist also!
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Cover thy ankles my good woman!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Cover thy ankles my good woman!
                      My ankles are ALWAYS covered. Otherwise my feet get cold.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My ankles are ALWAYS covered. Otherwise my feet get cold.

Canuckistan. Of course!

Where even mid Summer it barely gets above the freezing level.

In that case, put thy toque on my good woman

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Canuckistan. Of course!

Where even mid Summer it barely gets above the freezing level.

In that case, put thy toque on my good woman
                          Nope. Earmuffs, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            I thought he sounded sexist! I think he was trying to call Peter sexist also!
                            That would be Paul, writing to Timothy, and it's not at all unusual for people to accuse Paul of being sexist.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              That would be Paul, writing to Timothy, and it's not at all unusual for people to accuse Paul of being sexist.
                              The Roman Empire was sexist! Paul didn't have much to work with.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

It's ridiculous to think either sex is more materialistic than the other, just as it is ridiculous to think that either is more prone to "wrath and dissension." But, if we take guidelines such as those in 1 Tim. 2 as universal, we are led to that inference.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment