No announcement yet.

Exploratory Thread: Mercenaries (3.5e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the fortification negate the critical hits of magics?

can i extend the fly magic of my armour? from 1 to at least twice a day?

oh i will add glammered into my armour so that when ever we enter an unfriendly territory keep, i can wear the armour without becoming too threatening.

Celestial Armor+5 75% fortification [80,100gp], glammered
    Heavy Steel Shield (adamite) +5 aninated, arrow deflection [83,170gp]
    Last edited by Pinoy; 03-18-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Foirtification affects all critical hits (and I assume all effects that rely on the target being vulnerable to critical hits).

The cost of the fly spell appears to be 8100gp , so it would cost another 8100 gp for each extra use per day. My character could most likely pick up the entire rest of the party and fly with them (given suitable harnesses for everyone to hang on to, so that might be a way of crossing a narrow sea channel or other hazardous terrain with Spart's dimension door)
      Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 03-18-2014, 07:50 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
        Foirtification affects all critical hits (and I assume all effects that rely on the target being vulnerable to critical hits).

The cost of the fly spell appears to be 8100gp , so it would cost another 8100 gp for each extra use per day. My character could most likely pick up the entire rest of the party and fly with them (given suitable harnesses for everyone to hang on to, so that might be a way of crossing a narrow sea channel or other hazardous terrain with Spart's dimension door)
        I just need the fly spell in case of emergency, if i am drop from a high cliff while every one is busy. Or while climbing, the rope i am using is dropped.

ok. i will lose the enchantment of my morning star.(i'll just buy later) i will add 2 more fly spell in my armour; or do you have better idea than increasing my fly.
        Last edited by Pinoy; 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
          I just need the fly spell in case of emergency, if i am drop from a high cliff while every one is busy. Or while climbing, the rope i am using is dropped.

ok. i will lose the enchantment of my morning star.(i'll just buy later) i will add 2 more fly spell in my armour; or do you have better idea than increasing my fly.
          Being able to fly independently is useful so that you can fight while flying, If we're just talking about saving yourself from a fall, all you need is a ring of feather falling:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...featherFalling

Just add that ability to a ring you have, costing an extra 3,300 gp.

If you can fly as well, then you can slow your fall with the ring, then activate a use of fly to get back up (or wait for my character to fly down and get you/catch you before your reach the bottom) if you're falling towards something nasty that you'd rather avoid.

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Being able to fly independently is useful so that you can fight while flying, If we're just talking about saving yourself from a fall, all you need is a ring of feather falling:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...featherFalling

Just add that ability to a ring you have, costing an extra 3,300 gp.

If you can fly as well, then you can slow your fall with the ring, then activate a use of fly to get back up (or wait for my character to fly down and get you/catch you before your reach the bottom) if you're falling towards something nasty that you'd rather avoid.
            i drop my rings so that i can enhance the shield and the armour. i will just buy ring when i am able.

my updated character sheet

lvl 7 https://www.dropbox.com/s/uftswl2x4w32sjj/Amal.xls

lvl 20 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldw0ds554yaiz72/Farris.xls

Comment

• Okay, that's looking alright so far, only with Amal you haven't listed his spells, and the stats on his animal companion are wrong

His ranger level is 6, so that's the equivalent of druid level 3, so according to this table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/dr...nimalCompanion

Doogie the riding dog will have 4 hd, giving him 22 hp, base saves of fort 4, reflex 4 will 1, an extra 1 to both his str and dex score (making them both 16 instead of 15) an extra 2 to his natural armor, evasion and 2 more skill points. I think we can safely assume he's trained for combat, so can do trip attacks like a wolf.
              Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Okay, that's looking alright so far, only with Amal you haven't listed his spells, and the stats on his animal companion are wrong

His ranger level is 6, so that's the equivalent of druid level 3, so according to this table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/dr...nimalCompanion

Doogie the riding dog will have 4 hd, giving him 22 hp, base saves of fort 4, reflex 4 will 1, an extra 1 to both his str and dex score (making them both 16 instead of 15) an extra 2 to his natural armor, evasion and 2 more skill points. I think we can safely assume he's trained for combat, so can do trip attacks like a wolf.

Noted. Doogie character sheet updated.

Comment

• A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

Does this mean my wizard has 4 lvl 1 spell in the spell book. Here are what i have in my spell book other that the level zero spells
                  1st-Level Sorcerer/Wizard Spells
                  Div
                  1) Identify M: Determines properties of magic item.
                  2) True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.
                  Illus
                  3) Disguise Self: Changes your appearance.
                  Conj
                  4) Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.

Comment

• Also, my familiar will be rat rather than weasel. I need the fortitude save more.

Comment

• Carrik, I know it specifically says we can't have more than one familiar even if we have two classes that grant us one, but are we supposed to have an animal companion if we already have a familiar? I assumed not when building my dragon disciple, so stuck with just the familiar.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                        How about start at Rhory, Cawic is near enough if we wanted to buy and sell. Rhory is far from the sit of power (far from politics). And the people of Rhory may have more need of us since their military is low.
                        I'd be open to that. Anyone else want to chime in on our starting location?

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Having a place that "needs" us more to protect them in lieu of a military will probably limit our options and our payout as far as mercenary activities go.

I'd say Paford is better to start, and we look for a better spot later. It's still not the capital of the Cawic hegemony, so we're still not going to be drawn into Cawic's politics as much, but it's also going to be better for trading than Rhory. Also, it's on an island. I like islands.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Carrik, I know it specifically says we can't have more than one familiar even if we have two classes that grant us one, but are we supposed to have an animal companion if we already have a familiar? I assumed not when building my dragon disciple, so stuck with just the familiar.
                            You can have both a familiar and an animal companion. They cannot be the same animal. You're obviously not required to have either one if you don't want them.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• I'll stick with just the familiar, that grows in strength independent of my career choices, so is much less fragile than any animal companion I could choose.

Paford is going to be easier to blend in to as well, that was one option I was thinking of suggesting, 29% mixed is the second highest of any of the options, the highest one being much more isolated and most likely dangerous territory. Let's go for that for now, you ok with Paford, Pinoy? How expensive will it be to eventually move the guild or buy property in a second city?

A Hope That Burns

Comment

I'll stick with just the familiar, that grows in strength independent of my career choices, so is much less fragile than any animal companion I could choose.

Paford is going to be easier to blend in to as well, that was one option I was thinking of suggesting, 29% mixed is the second highest of any of the options, the highest one being much more isolated and most likely dangerous territory. Let's go for that for now, you ok with Paford, Pinoy? How expensive will it be to eventually move the guild or buy property in a second city?
                                Psh, who wants to move into a second city when we can just build a headquarters in a strategic location and have the city come to us?
                                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X