Exploratory Thread: Mercenaries (3.5e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
    You can blink with the ring an unlimited number of times per day, but you need to activate it (a standard action) to gain 7 rounds of blinking. Moderate fortification will nullify sneak attacks and critical hits 75% of the time, not 50%. There are other types of special attack that will be nullified by immunity to critical hits (e.g. wounding weapons, stunning fist) but we aren't likely to encounter those very often. While blinking, your weapons will effectively be halfway to being ghost touch (only a 20% chance of missing due to being ethereal or physical .
    Does this mean that when i am blinking, my attacks has 20% failure?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
      Does this mean that when i am blinking, my attacks has 20% failure?
      Yes, but other people's attacks against you will have a 50% chance of failure (unless their weapons are ghost touch and they can see invisibility)
      --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Carrik, could I have this instead of the circlet of persuasion?

Information Magnet
        This silken headband has an intricate and relaxing pattern weaved into it, along with memory-jogging magic that makes people more prone to remembering and mentioning helpful little tidbits of information in your presence, granting a +8 competence bonus on Gather Information checks

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Yes, but other people's attacks against you will have a 50% chance of failure (unless their weapons are ghost touch and they can see invisibility)
          Ok atleast i will have an idea when to use it.

how is the 20% failure computed? in the game, do i have to roll d100?
          Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• is this better rage that the regular rage?

Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy
            A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Calm down. Just like the feat says, you're trading all of your regular attacks for one attack on every enemy in reach. It doesn't affect the special abilities of your weapon. The bolded portion refers to feats like the two-handed weapon feats and spells and abilities like Haste. It doesn't suddenly ignore your weapons' bonus damage, it just means you can't use the whirlwind attack and then use other attacks on the same turn.
              While in rage, can i use whirlwind?

Comment

is this better rage that the regular rage?

Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy
                A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).

I believe i need the +2 to dodge and reflex more that the increase in constitution. In a addition, by this i can have additional attack. The faster i can dispatch the enemy the better.
                Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Here is the updated Farris character sheet, please review

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldw0ds554yaiz72/Farris.xls

I believe "Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy" is good for me.

I still have 4077 gp (what's best use?)

Comment

• You can use whirlwind attack while raging, you just can't do anything that requires concentration, e.g. activating any uses of your magic items when raging (they won't stop being active if they already are, you just can't start a new use while raging). I'd say whirling Frenzy (if Carrik allows it) would fit your character better (paralleling his high dex, boots of speed and whirlwind attack feats). Unlike normal rage, your chances of hitting don't increase, your will saves remain your main vulnerability and it won't last as long as a normal rage (by two rounds), but I think the extra attacks and defence more than make up for it, since your high Con bonus means you get eight extra attacks with your highest chance of hitting.

If you have that much left, you could either make your bow a basic magical composite longbow +1 Strength rating 5 (without seking) for another 2500 gp, and buy another 5 adamantine arrows, costing you 301 gp, it should have been 300.5 gp for the previous 5 and 21 rather than 20 for the 10 silver ones (I forgot to include the basic cost of the ammunition). Alternatively, you could increase the caster level on your boots of speed so you can use it more rounds per day (1,200 gp per caster level, each extra caster level gives you an extra round per day)
                    Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 03-09-2014, 08:35 AM.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

You can use whirlwind attack while raging, you just can't do anything that requires concentration, e.g. activating any uses of your magic items when raging (they won't stop being active if they already are, you just can't start a new use while raging). I'd say whirling Frenzy (if Carrik allows it) would fit your character better (paralleling his high dex, boots of speed and whirlwind attack feats). Unlike normal rage, your chances of hitting don't increase, your will saves remain your main vulnerability and it won't last as long as a normal rage (by two rounds), but I think the extra attacks and defence more than make up for it, since your high Con bonus means you get eight extra attacks with your highest chance of hitting.

If you have that much left, you could either make your bow a basic magical composite longbow +1 Strength rating 5, or increase the caster level on your boots of speed so you can use it more rounds per day (1,200 gp per caster level, each extra caster level gives you an extra round per day)

added to celestial armour

Spell Resistance
                      This property grants the armor’s wearer spell resistance while the armor is worn. The spell resistance can be 13, 15, 17, or 19, depending on the armor.

Strong abjuration; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell resistance; Price +2 bonus (SR 13), +3 bonus (SR 15), +4 bonus (SR 17), or +5 bonus (SR 19). (this is only 25,000)

I guess this is cheaper that my current spell resistance (currently my amulet of resistance is 90,000)
                      Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

added to celestial armour

Spell Resistance
                        This property grants the armor’s wearer spell resistance while the armor is worn. The spell resistance can be 13, 15, 17, or 19, depending on the armor.

Strong abjuration; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell resistance; Price +2 bonus (SR 13), +3 bonus (SR 15), +4 bonus (SR 17), or +5 bonus (SR 19). (this is only 25,000)

I guess this is cheaper that my current spell resistance (currently my amulet of resistance is 90,000)
                        No, your armor's current bonus is +5, this would make it effectively +10, so 100,000 gp just for the enhancement and enhancement equivalent abilities, i.e. 75,000 gp more for spell resistance 19 (and would also take the item's overall cost over the 100,000 gp limit whne you add in the cost of the armor itself and it's other abilities)

Your current amulet is 90,000 gp for spell resistance 21, it would cost 70,000 gp for spell resistance 19

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• celestial armour and +5 bonus (SR19) will be [94,400gp]

just like this (before)
                          Celestial Armor - heavy fortification (+9AC +8 dec) 94,400
                          Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Yes, if you reduce the actual armor enhancement on the celestial armor to +4 instead of +5

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Yes, if you reduce the actual armor enhancement on the celestial armor to +4 instead of +5
                              thanks this is much cheaper. so that i can have the boot of speed again.

Comment

• Definitely take the boots of speed.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X