Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

SJW Wars: The Force Awakens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me, or was BB8 a bit too Wallye-like to be taken seriously?
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
      Is it me, or was BB8 a bit too Wallye-like to be taken seriously?
      I got that a bit too. A little too Disney. But at the same time I was impressed with how much character they were able to make a ball emote.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I got that a bit too. A little too Disney. But at the same time I was impressed with how much character they were able to make a ball emote.
        I for one, want to see how they incorporate Star Wars lore into Kingdom Hearts 3.

Comment

Well first you have to realize that Star Wars isn't some great cinematic drama

It is a space opera - it is meant to be a bit corny. It is basically a nod to the old adventure serials of the early 20th century like buck Rodgers and so on

The same with the Indiana Jones movies

Comment

Well, it's not like R2D2 ever evidenced much in the way of profound character development. As long as they keep the Disney-esque stuff to BB8, and don't introduce any more floppy-eared Jar-Jar Binks characters, Disney will be way ahead of the prequels. But they do need to bring back the metal bikini.
            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

If there was any Disneyfication of BB8, it didn't seem like too much to me. I mean, C3P0 from the originals was still pretty goofy.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I just like to be entertained. I don't usually take time to complain about minutiae. It's such a waste. And it leads to a lot less disappointment when I watch movies.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                  ... I don't know where Voldemort Supreme Leader came from, and he's the big "huh" in the movie. But if the dark side still exists, then there will always be bad guys wanting to come up through the ranks. Maybe the next movie will explain his existence. ...
                  The other mystery is who Rae is, possibly the daughter of Luke Skywalker or his niece, ie, a daughter of Han Solo and General Organa (Princess Leia) who was hidden away like Luke and Leia were for their own protection. Also, I wonder if Kylo-Ren or the Knights of Ren killed off the other new Jedi in training as Anakin and the Clone Troopers did in Episode 3.

If anyone wants to develop the story with a more dramatic and intriguing, there should be a character who eventually restores not only a balance between the dark and light sides, but actually succeeds in integrating and uniting them. I don't think they will do this, but it has actually been suggested by a theologian of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    If anyone wants to develop the story with a more dramatic and intriguing, there should be a character who eventually restores not only a balance between the dark and light sides, but actually succeeds in integrating and uniting them. I don't think they will do this, but it has actually been suggested by a theologian of sorts.
                    Yeah, those are supposed to be Grey Jedi. I think they're probably going to reveal Luke as a Grey Jedi in the next episode...which, if so, kinda sucks in my opinion. George Lucas initially said that balance in the Force was the Light side of the Force without the Dark side. In other words, balance had nothing to do with some sort of Yin and Yang type concept. To have balance with the Force meant that one was at peace with the Force. The Sith take the Force and then manipulate it, and twist it, and use it as a weapon of hate and evil. That's out of balance. That's how it was originally supposed to go....THEN The Clone Wars animation came out, and totally retconned that entire concept (though, to be fair, some of the games and books probably were already moving in this direction). Specifically there's a two or three episode arc in The Clone Wars about a planet called Mortis, in which live a Son aligned with the Dark Side, a Daughter aligned with the Light Side, and a Father who's supposed to bring balance to both sides. There's elements of the Trinity and the Yin and Yang and all that jazz thrown in.

The reason I prefer the old concept of the Force is because it better reflects Christian theology (in my opinion), in that, the Light Side would represent doing the will of God, and the Dark Side would represent sin, which is to miss the mark, to be out of balance with God's divine plan and nature. The one who brings balance to the Force, Skywalker, acts as a type of Jesus who rids the universe of evil. Also, I think the Yin and Yang thing is just so cliche. But that might just be me.

Comment

Yeah, those are supposed to be Grey Jedi. I think they're probably going to reveal Luke as a Grey Jedi in the next episode...which, if so, kinda sucks in my opinion. George Lucas initially said that balance in the Force was the Light side of the Force without the Dark side. In other words, balance had nothing to do with some sort of Yin and Yang type concept. To have balance with the Force meant that one was at peace with the Force. The Sith take the Force and then manipulate it, and twist it, and use it as a weapon of hate and evil. That's out of balance. That's how it was originally supposed to go....THEN The Clone Wars animation came out, and totally retconned that entire concept (though, to be fair, some of the games and books probably were already moving in this direction). Specifically there's a two or three episode arc in The Clone Wars about a planet called Mortis, in which live a Son aligned with the Dark Side, a Daughter aligned with the Light Side, and a Father who's supposed to bring balance to both sides. There's elements of the Trinity and the Yin and Yang and all that jazz thrown in.

The reason I prefer the old concept of the Force is because it better reflects Christian theology (in my opinion), in that, the Light Side would represent doing the will of God, and the Dark Side would represent sin, which is to miss the mark, to be out of balance with God's divine plan and nature. The one who brings balance to the Force, Skywalker, acts as a type of Jesus who rids the universe of evil. Also, I think the Yin and Yang thing is just so cliche. But that might just be me.
                      Wow, you're really into this. I just read one link on a theological blog about this but did not realize this was already being developed as part of the extended universe. I see advantages in both concepts. The original 'Christian' interpretation better reflects the theology and sin, but the retcon version does allow us to critique some deficiencies or over-conformity in the Jedi administration, sort of like Luther trying to reform the papacy, when the Catholic religious orders failed in their resistance to the evil influence of papal empire. The wheels are falling of this analogy too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        Wow, you're really into this.
                        haha. Honestly, compared to a lot of Star Wars fans, I'm really not. I don't read the books and comics, or play many of the games, or hunt down every interview or whatnot. I mostly stick to the theatrical and televised media.

I just read one link on a theological blog about this but did not realize this was already being developed as part of the extended universe. I see advantages in both concepts. The original 'Christian' interpretation better reflects the theology and sin, but the retcon version does allow us to critique some deficiencies or over-conformity in the Jedi administration, sort of like Luther trying to reform the papacy, when the Catholic religious orders failed in their resistance to the evil influence of papal empire. The wheels are falling of this analogy too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          I just like to be entertained. I don't usually take time to complain about minutiae. It's such a waste. And it leads to a lot less disappointment when I watch movies.
                          Asking me not to nitpick a movie/TV show/book would be like asking me not to breathe.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

BTW, The Force and the Jedi were absolutely NEVER intended to be or represent Christianity. Just so you know. It was a fantasy religion drawn up by Lucas and written out that was closer to buddhism and ancient eastern folk religions. Given that I haven't seen the new Star Wars (no sitter for the baby) I can't comment but I can say that in the books there was an attempt to make a grey Jedi appear. Also there was an inbetween where a Greyish Jedi existed. urrm lets just say I was a total star wars geek up until my early 20's. Then the prequels came out and ruined it. Star Wars is very much on the Fantasy side more than the Sci-Fi side
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              BTW, The Force and the Jedi were absolutely NEVER intended to be or represent Christianity. Just so you know. It was a fantasy religion drawn up by Lucas and written out that was closer to buddhism and ancient eastern folk religions.
                              Oh yes, I realize that. I see a lot of the New Age "power is within you" sort of stuff that was popular in the 70s and 80s. Just for me, personally, I read into it Christian themes (I tend to do that with Lynch's Dune as well). I imagine that the theme of a promised Messiah pushing back the darkness is a Christian theme, however, regardless of whether or not Lucas intentionally had Christianity in mind. The redeemer theme is just so ingrained in Western art and literature, it's probably picked up on without most artists thinking about it.

Given that I haven't seen the new Star Wars (no sitter for the baby) I can't comment but I can say that in the books there was an attempt to make a grey Jedi appear. Also there was an inbetween where a Greyish Jedi existed. urrm lets just say I was a total star wars geek up until my early 20's. Then the prequels came out and ruined it. Star Wars is very much on the Fantasy side more than the Sci-Fi side
                              Eh, I hear people make that distinction between fantasy and sci-fi all the time, and I understand the argument I guess, but it seems to me that it's a rather late redefinition of science-fiction, probably based on the weighty writings of people like Asimov, Orwell, Dick, Heinlein and the like. If you go further back to the pulps and serialized films, science fiction is far more action/adventure and fantasy than the sort of deep stuff we get later on. It seems Star Wars follows relatively closely to the science fiction of people like Verne, Wells, Burroughs and the like, with even more direct connections to pulp and comic strips like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and John Carter. I don't know, that's just the impression I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Much my own thoughts.

As far as Kylo Ren is concerned: no, he's not scary, but I'm not sure he's intended to be.

Yet.
                                Oh, he's scary enough, in a loose cannon sort of way. I would not want to ever approach him bearing bad news.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment