Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I think I saw part of that - I remember Fred Astaire being in something about then. but I can't swear that was what I saw.
    It was his, as well as Fairbanks and Douglas', last film.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Fido - A mix between Leave it to Beaver and Dawn of the Dead.
      Fido was pretty good.

Witching & Bitching - this one's out there. I thought it was a good horror/comedy, though.
      I thought this film was fantastic! I loved it. Had to drag a friend over to watch it the next night.

I have to list this one:

Bad Milo! - an emotionally touching body horror comedy about a monster living in a guy's intestines. Yes, really, and no it's not as gross as you're thinking. Not quite. Seriously, this movie is better than you'll expect.
      Oh wow, I hadn't heard of that one. Definitely on my list now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Absentia is also a good one, and a bit Lovecraftian to boot.
        Yeah, that was interesting. Wish there was more to it though. Like...I liked where the film was going, but then it sorta just...ended.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Anyone ever see Ghost Story from 1981 starring Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., John Houseman and Melvyn Douglas (who died a couple months before the film was released)? It's about four successful elderly men who share a dark secret from their college days that has come back to haunt not only them but the sons of one of the men.
          Now that sounds good. And no, I haven't.

Comment

I remember seeing Ghost Story one night around 3 A.M. (insomnia). Yeah, it creeped me out. It's a Classic.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Fido was pretty good.

I thought this film was fantastic! I loved it. Had to drag a friend over to watch it the next night.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of that one. Definitely on my list now though.
              Watch it. You won't be disappointed.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It was his, as well as Fairbanks and Douglas', last film.
                That figures.

I only vaguely recall seeing something - this sounds like it but I could easily be mistaken.

If it's not too scary, I might watch it, though....

Does anyone remember a movie about a girl with a doll house. Somehow, her potato dolls (sliced potatoes and toothpicks) acted like voodoo dolls. I remember the last scene with the house on fire and her grandfather getting her to take all the dolls out of the doll house so the real people wouldn't be trapped in the real house.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                  I remember seeing Ghost Story one night around 3 A.M. (insomnia). Yeah, it creeped me out. It's a Classic.
                  Oh...

So, I think I'll get some old Fred and Ginger movies instead...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura
                    Does anyone remember a movie about a girl with a doll house. Somehow, her potato dolls (sliced potatoes and toothpicks) acted like voodoo dolls. I remember the last scene with the house on fire and her grandfather getting her to take all the dolls out of the doll house so the real people wouldn't be trapped in the real house.
                    Hmm. Doesn't sound familiar. Would you happen to know what year that might have been in?

Oh...

So, I think I'll get some old Fred and Ginger movies instead...
                    Oh don't let that put you off. You might not find it as creepy as I did. It's a good suspenseful movie. It was late for me so...
                    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Here is a modern underrated remake that I enjoyed: Piranha 3D. It's just a great summer fun movie that I think doesn't get enough credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        Hmm. Doesn't sound familiar. Would you happen to know what year that might have been in?
                        Had to have been sixties or Seventies, but I think Seventies. Could have been made for TV - unsure. I saw it more than once, so I think not.

Originally posted by Jesse
                        Oh don't let that put you off. You might not find it as creepy as I did. It's a good suspenseful movie. It was late for me so...
                        I'm thinking your horror quotient is higher than mine. I had nightmares over a really, really STUPID 'mock-documentary' thing Discovery did with giant centipedes killing people. It looked fake to me then but...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Had to have been sixties or Seventies, but I think Seventies. Could have been made for TV - unsure. I saw it more than once, so I think not.
                          Was it this? If so, I never saw it. It looks like a good anthology though.

I'm thinking your horror quotient is higher than mine. I had nightmares over a really, really STUPID 'mock-documentary' thing Discovery did with giant centipedes killing people. It looked fake to me then but...
                          Yeah, but windmills scare me. So I wouldn't worry too much about the movie .

Comment

Was it this? If so, I never saw it. It looks like a good anthology though.

Yeah, but windmills scare me. So I wouldn't worry too much about the movie .
                            Yes, that is it! I obviously got the plot wrong but I still remember seeing it.

As for the movie, I will think about it.

Thanks for finding the show for me!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Yes, that is it! I obviously got the plot wrong but I still remember seeing it.

As for the movie, I will think about it.

Thanks for finding the show for me!
                              Oh it was no problem at all . No pressure to watch it. I might end up re-watching it myself to see if it's still creepy to me.

Comment

Oh it was no problem at all . No pressure to watch it. I might end up re-watching it myself to see if it's still creepy to me.
                                That reminds me of a funny story that a college friend told me once.

He and some friends were getting together to watch a movie, but they didn't know what. They'd decided that they wanted a scary movie, but couldn't decide on anything. Then one of them said that they'd remembered watching this really scary movie when they were a kid, so they should rent that. None of them had ever heard of it, so they all went along with it.

The movie? Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment