Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yep. I love Black Mirror. what season are they on right now? It's only like 3 episodes a year isn't it? Think I watched at least 2 seasons.
    I've only seen the first two seasons (6 episodes, I think?). The first episode is what I remember the best--that was in some ways the darkest hour of anything I've ever watched. That episode and "White Bear," the fifth episode. "White Bear" would probably be my favorite episode, but the very first one the one that will stick with me the most.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I've only seen the first two seasons (6 episodes, I think?). The first episode is what I remember the best--that was in some ways the darkest hour of anything I've ever watched. That episode and "White Bear," the fifth episode. "White Bear" would probably be my favorite episode, but the very first one the one that will stick with me the most.
      Yeah, I agree. That was pretty freaky. Actually, I think all of the episodes are pretty freaky. It's the best horror anthology series I've seen a long long time. I think keeping it to so few episodes helps. The Brits know what they're doing with TV. Don't have enough for a 12-24 episode season, don't worry about it. We'll do 3 episodes, but they'll be the best dang episodes you've ever seen, and you'll be craving for more... in a year or two, or whenever we get around to it. Same with their Sherlock series.

For fantastic modern creepy British TV though, I highly recommend Utopia. But maybe we're moving too far from the OP now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist
        I thought of another: Grabbers. This is much more a comedy than a horror, but worth mentioning. Here's the imdb description: "When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive."
        Grabbers was fun. I was surprised by the gore in that one. There really is more comedy than horror, that is for sure.

I thought Oculus was pretty good. A movie about a truly messed up mirror.
        Also, Pontypool is strange and worth checking out.
        I have a problem here. I have heard strong praise for Oculus, but I stayed away from it because it's a WWE Studios film. And if you have seen the thier other horror offerings, you will know why I'm having a problem .

I thought Pontypool was good too. Stephen McHattie played that Don Imus/Howard Stern part like a boss. I enjoyed it.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Has anyone seen Black Mirror? It's a miniseries of sorts, not a movie, and it's not exactly a horror. It's sort of like a more realistic, darker Twilight Zone. The very first episode of this is actually very disturbing, given what it doesn't show. Most later episodes aren't that dark--they really started that show with a doozy of a first episode.
          No I haven't. Sounds good though. Thanks for letting me know. I'm a big Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Tales from the Darkside fan.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            I have a problem here. I have heard strong praise for Oculus, but I stayed away from it because it's a WWE Studios film. And if you have seen the thier other horror offerings, you will know why I'm having a problem .
            Ah, I wouldn't worry about that. It's not like their other garbage. Don't go into it expecting it to be the best thing since the Exorcist or nothing. It's one of those films that you throw on and think, eh, why not, it might be good, and then it's done, and you're thinking, man that was better than I thought it was going to be. That's how I approach a lot of horror. There's just so much garbage out there cause it's an easy genre to do. Go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised when the film doesn't just not turn out to be junk, but turns out to be pretty dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Ah, I wouldn't worry about that. It's not like their other garbage. Don't go into it expecting it to be the best thing since the Exorcist or nothing. It's one of those films that you throw on and think, eh, why not, it might be good, and then it's done, and you're thinking, man that was better than I thought it was going to be. That's how I approach a lot of horror. There's just so much garbage out there cause it's an easy genre to do. Go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised when the film doesn't just not turn out to be junk, but turns out to be pretty dang good.
              Good advice. I think I have also missed out on a lot of stuff because if it's a studio, or director I don't really care for, I will most of the time ignore anything they do. But Oculus has surprised enough people to make me think.

Comment

Okay, since we're branching out a little bit, I'm going to mention this film. It's not really horror...it's just a freak show on every level. But, right after I mention it, this post will disappear and there will be no evidence that I brought this film up. I will deny ever having mentioned it...anywhere...ever.

A bunch of us happened upon it one evening and sat through the whole thing without a word. When the credit roll ended, nobody moved or spoke for about 10 minutes. I think our brains just didn't quite understood what we had just subjected them to.

The Forbidden Zone
                sigpic
                "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                  Okay, since we're branching out a little bit, I'm going to mention this film. It's not really horror...it's just a freak show on every level. But, right after I mention it, this post will disappear and there will be no evidence that I brought this film up. I will deny ever having mentioned it...anywhere...ever.

A bunch of us happened upon it one evening and sat through the whole thing without a word. When the credit roll ended, nobody moved or spoke for about 10 minutes. I think our brains just didn't quite understood what we had just subjected them to.

The Forbidden Zone
                  Oh dear...

Comment

Fido - A mix between Leave it to Beaver and Dawn of the Dead.

Witching & Bitching - this one's out there. I thought it was a good horror/comedy, though.

I have to list this one:

Bad Milo! - an emotionally touching body horror comedy about a monster living in a guy's intestines. Yes, really, and no it's not as gross as you're thinking. Not quite. Seriously, this movie is better than you'll expect.
                    Last edited by Zymologist; 08-12-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Absentia is also a good one, and a bit Lovecraftian to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I have to list this one:

Bad Milo! - an emotionally touching body horror comedy about a monster living in a guy's intestines. Yes, really, and no it's not as gross as you're thinking. Not quite. Seriously, this movie is better than you'll expect.
                        You guys have to see this one if you haven't yet. You will question your sanity when you start feeling emotional for that little guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                          You guys have to see this one if you haven't yet. You will question your sanity when you start feeling emotional for that little guy...
                          And the movie stars Patrick Warburton. Win!

Comment

Anyone ever see Ghost Story from 1981 starring Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., John Houseman and Melvyn Douglas (who died a couple months before the film was released)? It's about four successful elderly men who share a dark secret from their college days that has come back to haunt not only them but the sons of one of the men.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think I saw part of that - I remember Fred Astaire being in something about then. but I can't swear that was what I saw.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post

The Forbidden Zone
                                Great film. I have a friend who worked with Richard Elfman years later. Says he was a really good guy. Love that movie. Love the music. Not sure why you wouldn't want to talk about it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X